//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My 350x rescue...

--
    Absolutely,and Im trying to do as much as possible on my own without sending stuff out.The cheapest place locally to get my frame blasted is around $130,then $150 for powdercoat.Timeframe is 2 weeks for blasting and then I need to re-enforce the frame,and then powdercoating is another 3 weeks as well,and Im hoping to have it stripped,re-enforced and primed in the next couple weeks.

I did some research on removing powdercoat and I found out that Permatex (Part#80646) Gasket Remover will strip powdercoat.That stuff is discontinued and they have foaming stuff now that DOESNT work the same.Napa has that product though in their part number Napa 765-1230 Aerosol gasket remover.I found ONE local store that still has some and bought 4 cans of it.Its on the frame now and Im gonna let it sit for about 15 minutes then go check it out and see what it does,all I can say is it burns the hell out of your skin...lol

--
    Seems expensive for the blasting.

--
    I thought so too,also without seeing it,im sure they estimat a little high,but even then,that seems REALLY high to me

--
    The gasket remover worked decently,but still wouldnt cut through it all after 3 cans.So I found a local garage that started doing blasting and powdercoating.I dropped the frame off there for an acid dip and media blast for $75.

I think Im going to skip powdercoat and just prime/paint it myself,they wanted $275 for light media blast,zinc primer and powdercoat for the swingarm and frame,I just dont think i want to spend that much on a machine Im going to ride the hell out of!

--
    Yea I hear ya. It's not gonna be a show bike
    1985 Kawasaki Tecate 250 with kx 500cc motor
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom built with lifan 125cc
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom powder coat slight mods
    1985 Honda 250sx
    Yamaha zinger 90cc 2 stroke
    1985 Honda 250sx custom green and black build
    1985 Honda 200x

murfman is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by GoObYdOo View Post
    The gasket remover worked decently,but still wouldnt cut through it all after 3 cans.So I found a local garage that started doing blasting and powdercoating.I dropped the frame off there for an acid dip and media blast for $75.

I think Im going to skip powdercoat and just prime/paint it myself,they wanted $275 for light media blast,zinc primer and powdercoat for the swingarm and frame,I just dont think i want to spend that much on a machine Im going to ride the hell out of!
    How much is it going to cost you for paint? Or are you going to it? To me Powder is a no brainer, as it would cost me over 50.00 in material to paint it on top of 75-100 to blast it compared to 225 to powder coat it. For the extra 75.00 the durability of Powder won out. My buddy runs GNCC and some local hare scrambles on his TRX450R and after a full season (16 races IIRC) of racing his frame still looks great, it has some scratches, but no major chips or cracks. And it was ridden hard.

--
    Whoa, never noticed that "rattle-can" comes out as edog. LMFAO

--
    well,after the $75 acid bath and blast,I need the frame back to weld in gussets,fix the crappy honda welds and fix a crack,it would sit and get light surface rust,so they would charge me an extra $275 for a the light blast and zinc primer and powdercoat.So total $350 if I go with the zinc primer which is very high,although,Im sure if I didnt do the primer or swingarm the price will be around $150,he said he will quote me after he blasts the frame for just powdercoat on that.Another place quoted me at $150 for just powdercoat,but I wasnt very impressed with their work at all.

To it im lookin at 1 or 2 cans of self etching primer,2 cans of regular primer/sealer 2-3 cans of color at 8-10 bucks each,so about $80 in supplies,totaling $155 in the end for everything,just trying to figure cost effectiveness,if the place thats blasting my frame will drop the price to 150 for just the frame with no zinc primer then Ill do that.

--
    Shop around, I had my frame blasted, brought it home and welded in the gussets. Took it back and had it zinc primed and 2 stage powder coated (silver base and lollipop red top) for the 225.00 he went over and reblasted and baked the frame when I brought it back after welding. Granted he has done a few thousand dollars worth of work for me over the last few years, but I doubt he is cutting me THAT much of a break on pricing. I really don't care about the pricing as his work is top notch, hence all the work he has done for me, every thing from my garbage can cart and picnic table legs to my srt-4 engine block, trans case and my ATC parts.

--
    Yah Ive called a few places around here accept for one,im going to have to wait until monday to call,theyre my last resort for price cut.Almost all of them locally are within 10-15 bucks on the estimate.If thats the only option I have then Ill go with it,sending it out would be pointless due to having to pay for shipping.

--
    Thanks for that link it was usefull

--
    Got the frame back from acid dip/sandblast and it looks great!The only cracks are on the back by the seat mount.With the abuse this thing has seen for many years Im surprised.I will post pics ASAP.Im off to get the gusset material to start cutting gussets....Im also thinking about a +4 Durablue HD axle...any opinions?

--
    What are you doing for paint? Rattle can?An for an old machine sounds like its in good shape
    1985 Honda 250sx
    1985 Honda 200x

--
    Here are the pictures of the frame after acid bath/sandblast.The only cracks found were back by the rubber seat grommets.I got my hands on some 3/16" material to start cutting gussets.I will be measuring that tonite and trying to get one of my Dad's co-workers to laser them out.I plan to gusset the corners on the rear part of the frame,as well as some small ones down on the motor mounts (as long as I remember to put a bolt in the motor mounts to keep them from shrinking I should be fine!haha)and Im going to re-weld most of the factory welds to clean them up and make sure theyre good and strong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2767.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	276.6 KB 
ID:	138077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2770.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	138078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2771.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	138079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2772.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	138080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2773.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	247.5 KB 
ID:	138081

--
    Wow very nice!! Looks new already! My Tecate has black than blue than pink paint layers I can see. The kicker used to be pink... I wanna acid dip and sand blast it all
    1985 Honda 250sx
    1985 Honda 200x

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //