//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 200 worth it?

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Good man. Don't settle for garbage.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    for future reference yamaha 200 and 225 don't have a clutch lever, they are automatic.

--
    Yeah, i could tell it was abused and was far from running. @muthey thanks for the fact, im new to three wheelers and its nice to know this about the yamahas now. That was probably the least of my worries with that bike though. It was bad.

--
    Should have parted the internals ad rest of it. Woul have got your money back plus more
    1985 Kawasaki Tecate 250 with kx 500cc motor
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom built with lifan 125cc
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom powder coat slight mods
    1985 Honda 250sx
    Yamaha zinger 90cc 2 stroke
    1985 Honda 250sx custom green and black build
    1985 Honda 200x

--
    possibly got his money back or ended up with a huge mess of rusted bolts and broken parts, plus have you seen mine a powdidy's ytm part outs they don't sell all that fast

--
    Yeah, i didnt want to mess with parting it out. I parted out two datsun 280z's over the summer and still have a bunch of parts just taking up room in the barn. If i can stay away from parting stuff out for a while id be happy.

--
    thats true im thinking its an R or a Tecate
    1985 Kawasaki Tecate 250 with kx 500cc motor
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom built with lifan 125cc
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom powder coat slight mods
    1985 Honda 250sx
    Yamaha zinger 90cc 2 stroke
    1985 Honda 250sx custom green and black build
    1985 Honda 200x

--

Yamaha 225

So now i might be going to look at a yamaha 225. It doesn't run but tries to according to the owner. It doesn't have a gear shifter lever, so he believes its in gear and thats why it wont start. Hes asking 200 firm. Would this one be a good buy? He said it has newer tires and brakes on it. And the pictures he sent me it looks pretty good. Just wondering what this thing would be worth fixed up if I decide I only want to keep it for a short period of time. Thanks again to any input.

--
    in good running conditon with new tires and brakes and everything in decent shape
    you could get 600-800$

--
    Doesn't sound bad. I might go look at it and see how everything else looks on it. Any other opinions of if i should take the risk on this atc?

--
    Nice pass on the first option in your thread. For the second option, Refering to what you wanted which was a 'project' you can spend couple X amounts of money on a project and at the end of the day only make up for half the X's you spent on it. The thing i have noticed with projects it the amount of time you put into a project rather the the cost in money to make it suitable for yourself.

Just remember the longer you work on a project and the amount of money it costs you to get it to what 'you' want will only be stored in a little special place in your head that will want you to not get rid of, And expecting the next person to own that trike and look after it only to find out it's ruined will annoy you. This is only a response to your "Just wondering what this thing would be worth fixed up if I decide I only want to keep it for a short period of time" question.

Sorry if I sound like a complete muppet.
    Tools of the trade:
    ATC250sx - Runs, Does wicked donuts.
    KX250 - Sitting around. Needs new chain, Rear w/bearings, Clutch release arm seal to replace.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 78z2+2 View Post
    Doesn't sound bad. I might go look at it and see how everything else looks on it. Any other opinions of if i should take the risk on this atc?
    No big deal but for future reference, the term "ATC" was trademarked by Honda. It means "All Terrain Cycle". All Honda trikes are ATC's, but no other brand is an ATC. Don't mean to nit-pick, just trying to guide ya buddy.

It's really hard for us to determine a value without pictures. Also, where the shifter isn't there you really don't know if the tranny is any good. That would have a huge impact on price.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Thanks for the info guys. Im learning so much from this website. Here are the pictures the owner sent me of the yamaha. Also may go look at another one. Its a honda 200s. It runs, but smokes really bad. Probably needs rings, guy said past owner ran it without an air cleaner. Hes asking 175 for it, comes with a complete extra 185 motor. He also said there are some cracks in the plastics and that its been rode hard and put away wet. I included pictures of it as well. Which one would you guys pick up? Both are within my price range, and both need a little work. How hard is it to change rings on a honda? Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hon 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	138072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hon 2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	138073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yam.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	138074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yam 2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	138075  

--
    honestly I would go for the 225, if you were going to keep it, has better looking plastics, and tranny problems are not all that hard to fix, does require the motor to be pulled but between myself and some others on here we have the parts you will need to fix it if that is a problem. I also know from experience that the yamaha shift levers break really easy so that might be the only problem, I have replace both of mine with honda levers as they are stouter. With a motor that smokes you may end up spending 2-300$ to fix it, plus a couple months down time while waiting for the cylinder to be bore and come back to you, so if the yami doesn't smoke that's one les headache. I my self with a new gasket set could change out a yami tranny in about 4-6 hours if I already had all the parts I needed which I do. The plastics alone on that 225 sold on ebay could net you 2-400$. But like I said I would buy the yamaha if you were going to keep it, and the Honda you might be able to fix it up but I doubt you'll ever see a return profit from it other than riding it.

--
    get them both the honda will run for ever even if it dose smoke ive had pepole tell me it smokes realy bad and it didnt smoke bad changed the oil it went away after the first week of daily ridding if you only want to get one id go with the 225 it has suspension in the rear but may have problems other then the shifter id go to a local shop and buy a shifter for 10$ and take it with me to see if its all it needs and if it needs more and you dont want it take the shifter back and tell them you didnt actualy need it

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //