//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 200 worth it?

--
    o and rings are easy on a hond i could do it and have the motor back in and runing in half an hr but its prob valve seals not rings

--
    I agree, i think the yamaha looks like a better buy. I was planning on taking a gear shifter from an extra dirtbike engine i got, as well as one from our suzuki 4 wheeler. Hopefully one will work to where I can pop it into neutral and see if it will run. What else should i look for on the yamaha if I go look at it? Thanks for all the help guys

--
    Well the search continues. Was getting ready to leave to go see the yamaha and the guy called me and said someone was there buying it.. A little too late. Maybe i can find something else or talk down the price on the honda.

--
    if you really want the honda I would try and talk him down to 100$ as you don't know what kid of issues you'll find till you open it up. Could just need rings and gaskets, or it could need alot more including a new head, or valves. Plus the plastics are kinda busted up so your looking at 250$+ to replace them right there. Also not to cause a huge argument but rebuilding a motor and having it back in and running in about a half hour not possible it takes about a half hour just to pull it out. honda isn't hard but is easy to have the timing 180* off with the timing, where yamaha is easier to time. have done both. I look at it like this people always say you can beat the crap out of a honda and it will run forever, which simply isn't true. Beat anything and it will eventually die, so there are alot of honda's out there that are piles of poof because of that mind thought. It might be best to just hold out until a better trike comes along. I know there is a guy on here that is selling a really nice 225dx with great plastics his name is vartz04 and he lives in Illinois, if you can contact him if he still has it he wanted 600$ for it. Good luck and happy hunting

--
    with the motor already off i can do the top end in around half hr usualy whn i rebuild something motor is already out and apart while im waiting for the parts i would pay 100-150 for that Honda iv had worse if i were you just buy the honda to see if you even like 3 wheelers if its gunna be your first get something that if you f ck it up you didnt just spend a ton of money on it looks like a decent beater for me def try to talk him down to 100 though if not i would pay 150$ for it its not in that bad of shape and ive seen them recoils go on ebay for 100$ i would never pay that much tho ill wrap a rope around it before i pay 100$ for a recoil

Quote Originally Posted by muthey View Post
    if you really want the honda I would try and talk him down to 100$ as you don't know what kid of issues you'll find till you open it up. Could just need rings and gaskets, or it could need alot more including a new head, or valves. Plus the plastics are kinda busted up so your looking at 250$+ to replace them right there. Also not to cause a huge argument but rebuilding a motor and having it back in and running in about a half hour not possible it takes about a half hour just to pull it out. honda isn't hard but is easy to have the timing 180* off with the timing, where yamaha is easier to time. have done both. I look at it like this people always say you can beat the crap out of a honda and it will run forever, which simply isn't true. Beat anything and it will eventually die, so there are alot of honda's out there that are piles of poof because of that mind thought. It might be best to just hold out until a better trike comes along. I know there is a guy on here that is selling a really nice 225dx with great plastics his name is vartz04 and he lives in Illinois, if you can contact him if he still has it he wanted 600$ for it. Good luck and happy hunting
    Last edited by ytm200steve; 12-22-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: oops

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I've been biting my lip, but I am no longer.

To be honest Steve, you're coming off as kind of a hack. The guy needs good advise and that's what we try to provide on this forum. To just tell him "Oh it's valve seals" and "I can do a top end in a half hour" is not what this guy needs to hear. Truth is, you have no way of telling if it's just valve seals or not. Personally I doubt it's just valve seals. He clearly stated that the engine was run without an air filter for quite some time and that it was ridden hard and put away wet. I'm willing to bet it needs more than just valve seals.

It starts out with rings when you rip it open. Soon you find it needs a bore and a valve job. Then you figure out it needs a timing chain. This is sometimes how it goes and he needs to expect that and be prepared.

These machines are antiques. Unless the machine is something you've owned for a long time and looked after or you bought it in really good condition, you can rule out "just doing the top end in a half hour". More often then not there is a lot to do to these machines to bring them back to their original glory after they've been abused for 25 or 30 years. The OP sounds like he wants something to be proud of, not something to throw together.

To keep these machines nice it takes a lot of time and money. The fact that you want him to squabble with the guy over 25 or 50 bucks is silly. That machine looks worth 175 all day, especially with a spare motor.

Personally I would take the Yami. I just like those better. Full suspension, shaft drive, ya buddy!
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 12-22-2011 at 12:37 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I am agreeing with Fabio wholeheartedly on this I had forgot all about the spare motor, so 150$ it's worth it. I have to get, that I traded a 2003 dell desktop that I got for free from my work for my wife's 81 200 basket case trike, which I just finished doing the top end on. I was not happy with what I saw when I got into it, but fortunately there was plenty of meat to work with as it was all original still. So if you are anxious to get a trike asap go with the 200s, but expect the worst and be glad when you see that it isn't as bad as you thought. Or if you're not in a major rush wait a bit and keep your feelers out for something better

--
    but if he hasn't had a 3 wheeler before its not a bad deal for 150 i wouldnt want something mint as my first toy and its hard to find something mint for around 200$ i want something to play around with even see if i like it and a 200s is a great starter trikes iv owned about 6 200s's and that wheeler is complete with that extra motor and the top ends are interchangeable so there are plenty of parts with it its definitly worth taking a look at the other motor might even run

--
    and fabio he said before the guy sold the yami

--
    Thanks for all the great advice guys. I think I am going to wait a bit. The guy doesn't really seem like he wants to go down to 150, and im thinking I can score a better deal on something else if I just wait. This website has gave me great information, and I appreciate all the input. I will keep you guys updated if I find something else. Thanks again

--
    okay i wish i was closer i would buy that honda no one sells em cheap around here rarely lol

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ytm200steve View Post
    and fabio he said before the guy sold the yami
    I must have missed that.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    yeah, i might still go look at it. It seems pretty hard to find some around here too for cheap. Im hoping the guy is willing to negotiate and i can work out a deal. Worse case if i get it is it blows up and I just part it out to get my money back.

--
    Just talked to the guy, and hes firm on 175. I might still go look at it. I forgot to mention its got newer tires on it as well.

--
    Be patient grasshopper. There are deals to be had. Plenty of guys on this forum are from the O-ho-ho area.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //