//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 200 worth it?

--

Yamaha 200 worth it?

Hi,
    I am new to this forum, and am in the process of finding a cheap three wheeler to work on for fun. I found an old Yamaha 200cc on craigslist for $100. According to the owner, it ran two weeks ago, but then just stopped. When trying to restart it by push starting it, it just locks up the rear wheels. There is no pull start on the trike. My question is, what could be the problem with the motor? Obvious answer would be it's locked up, but i'm wondering if it could be something simple and easy to fix? Also is it worth 100 bucks to find out? Thanks in advance for any replys.

--
    For $100, if the plastics are ok and everthing seems ok, you could part it out and get your money and then some back if you dont want to fix it.
    Just sit back and chillaxx

--
    Alright, I will keep that in mind when going to look at it. Anyone on the engine problem?

--
    depends if they are trying to push start it in 1st or not these yammi's have a decent amount of torque, motor is hard to say until you have it and open it up, but in my opinion yammi's are easier to work on than honda's. Much more simpler timing to do on them. I have a decent amount of parts as well, but they are gradually dwindling lol if you do get it you won't be sorry when you have it running. first gear is wheelie mania.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by muthey View Post
    depends if they are trying to push start it in 1st or not
    x2 on that one. I can't even count how many times I see these bozos trying to pop start something in first gear. In first gear you will not have the mechanical advantage and therefore the motor will not turn over. You have to use second or third gear when pop starting. My bet is they're just trying to pop it in first.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    sorry im posting a qestion on this post dont know how to start a post but i have a 1986 yamaha tri moto 225drs and it wont start by pull starting it it was starting by pop starting it now nothing

--
    Thanks for the help guys. I will probably go look at it tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to look for motor wise to make sure its not locked up?

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    See if it'll turn over!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    it shifts by going up rock it while you try and shift it go all the way up to fifth and see if you can feel the motor give a little while rocking it. If there is no give or it wont shift, possible lock up or tranny problems from pop starting it. tranny problems I have a complete tranny minus the shifting rod , and motor minus the piston up. But I have a feeling they were not doing it very smartly and it's not locked up. check the oil, look for oil leaks around the the motor and the rear end if it is shaft drive. look for cracks in the plastics and whether the forks compress. check the wiring you can see , if it's all chopped up or not. You might even take a 18mm deep socket and a ratchet or a 5/8 for"champion plugs" to see if the spark plug is sooty and black or the light brown it's supposed to be. Just because it's black doesn't mean that the motors bad, but it does indicate a fuel rich setting or if it is black with a light wetness there is a chance it is burning oil. Oh and one last thing if you are still not sure take lots of pics and let us help you. Either way if you think about it 200$ plus maybe $400 in repairs, is still cheap than 5000$ plus for a new four wheeler. And didn't you say you were wanting to work on it as well.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    See if it'll turn over!
    Absolutely, if you can get it to turn over, you can be 100% sure you can get it to turn over...
    TRIKE INTERESTS
    A1/A2 TECATE's

BIKE INTERESTS
    ATK, Husqvarna, Maico, Harley Davidson & Yamaha Twins

PLEASE KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THE FOLLOWING STOLEN 3/30/2012

1999 ATK 260LQ ENG# 425681 Red/White/Blue VIN# 4MAV1CC43XA009376 (Its the last one missing out of four the first three were destroyed)

My Feedback

--
    @ dustin get a pull starter man cause it is reall hard to check for spark by pop starting or put a battery in it to use the electric start, and for gods sake do not use a car battery instead, not unless you feel like taking a chance on having to replace all the electronics.

--
    has one has spark to

--
    I am going to look at it tomorrow. I will keep all these things in mind, and try to get some pictures for you guys. Thanks for all the help!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin96 View Post
    has one has spark to
    Make sure you keep this in mind for sure. Very helpful advise indeed.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Well went and looked at the three wheeler. It was bad, the motor was clearly locked up. Pretty sure it was due to the owner driving it without an exhaust. It was also missing the clutch lever. Seemed like a bit too much work for me. The hunt continues for a decent three wheeler for under 200. Thanks for all the help guys.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //