//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Honda ATC 110 Weak Spark

--

Honda ATC 110 Weak Spark

This unit is producing a blue spark, but it is very small. I do not currently have a fuel tank hooked up (carb leaks), but I sprayed starter fluid in it
    and could not get it to fire. When pulling the plug, I could smell the starter fluid on it and was slightly wet. I cleaned the ground and hot on the coil, but it was not any stronger. Do these motors not like starter fluid, as I thought the spark was big enough to make it run? Is there something I need
    to do to get a larger spark? I'm obviously a noob here, but not to mechanics themselves. I have worked with a GY6 before, but do not have much
    experience with these.
    Thank You

--
    It could be a few things but I would check the gap on the generator it could have widenend and not be making good enough contact. Is there any bad connections anywhere else in the wiring. also the generator is the little cover that says cdi on it. I would clean that then adjust the contact points and see what that does. I believe the gap should be like .03 or .04

--
    Ok, I will try that tomorrow. By the generator I am assuming you mean the winding underneath the flywheel?

--
    No. The generator is the little cover about 3in round that says cdi on it. It should be a silver color and 2 wires coming out of it.

--
    To the best of my knowledge all of them don't say cdi . the early models had points instead of a cdi so the early ones didn't have cdi on it.
    1985 Honda Big Red 250es (All original even the METAL tank)
    1985 Honda Big Red 250es (Very Clean My wife bike)
    1985 Honda Big Red 250es Project bike (FOR SALE)
    1980 Honda ATC 110 W/NEW mudlites(My 6yo sons muding machine)
    1982 Honda ATC 110 (Mine when i was a kid)
    1984 Honda ATC 110 (MINT all original and very CLEAN)
    1985 Honda ATC 250R (NON-runner but complete)
    1986 Honda ATC 250R (Current Project ESR 330 or 310 solid white call her CASPER)

--
    OK so first we need more info of your trike it is extremely hard to diagnose without it, year and model which you have already provided model, and anything else you can provide is a big plus. Have you trimmed an 1/8" off of the coil wire going to the spark plug cap? try that as it will give the cap new wire to bite to. have you looked in the world class help section for a manual yet, those are a must. tell us what you have tried so we can help you by ruling those procedures out or help you with known ways to do them. I myself am a yammi guy but I have three hondas as well as grew up on a 1979 atc 70, which had points. If yours does have points have you tried to re-time them? they do wear and get too far away over time or are not timed in right in the first place. 79-80 had points, and 81-85 had the pulse generator. keep us posted and we can try and help you as much as possible. here is a direct link to manuals http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

--
    I believe I have an 81-85, as I have a CDI cover and CDI box. So far, I have cleaned the generator contacts, ground and hot
    going to the coil, and tried a CDI box from my parts unit. It also has the wiring harness from the parts unit, as my original
    harness contained a lot of wire tape. I don't go back until tomorrow, so I will be working with it some today between keeping warm.

--
    have you tried the simplest thing yet? getting a new plug? might not seem like much but my 70 (points ignition) wouldn't want to start no matter what, just got a new plug for it and it fires in 1-3 pulls now.
    74 HONDA ATC 70
    85 HONDA 125M (undergoing surgery)
    85 YAMAHA YT60 red w/yellow trim (sold, still in the family)

"What the f*** are you doing Bill? The racetrack is no place for snacks and fancy cakes....
    I'll have a Custard Cream if your asking."

Quote Originally Posted by swampthang View Post
    Got to love that search button. Faster then a liquid R.

--
    ok you can use a manual from a 200s or e or what ever in that range to ohm and spec your stator and alternator. Otherwise I would try a new plug even if that one is new and start looking for a faulty or corroded wire. you might even want to check out the kill switch to see if the corrosion is in there.

--
    I checked the clearance between the generator rotor and the item beside it, and am getting more spark now. However, it still will not fire, and I will be ordering a
    carb tonight along with a new plug to see if I can get it to fire. Needless to say, starter fluid is not a good fuel to use.

ZacH_GrifF is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I would recommend getting a new ignition source coil behind the flywheel they have to work good for anything else to work good. There pretty cheep too.

--
    I got the carb and plug, but still can not get it to fire. Does anyone know what voltage I should be getting to the coil?

--
    CHECK and CLEAN all grounds and connections.... make sure you dont have vacuum leaks also check for voltage... with a bad ground you will get anything from 0-4 volts maybe... you want around 12-14 i believe
    1985 Kawasaki Tecate 250 with kx 500cc motor
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom built with lifan 125cc
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom powder coat slight mods
    1985 Honda 250sx
    Yamaha zinger 90cc 2 stroke
    1985 Honda 250sx custom green and black build
    1985 Honda 200x

--
    I discovered that the coil ground is crap, so I will try to get that resolved this weekend.

--
    Yea that happened to my bike and it would spark. I cleaned it and it runs like a raped ape now. Just sand it down and hit it with some steel wool and get a new round connector and crimp it to your wire and re connect it.
    1985 Kawasaki Tecate 250 with kx 500cc motor
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom built with lifan 125cc
    1985 Honda ATC 70 custom powder coat slight mods
    1985 Honda 250sx
    Yamaha zinger 90cc 2 stroke
    1985 Honda 250sx custom green and black build
    1985 Honda 200x

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //