//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Is it neccesary?

Auto_Demon is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Question Is it neccesary?

I have a 1997 Ski-Doo Formula Z 583 and i was thinking about buying a can for it. What do you have to do the engine or can it just bolt right on and go? Do you have to re-jet it?
    Please respond

Mike
    Last edited by Auto_Demon; 01-13-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
    1985 Honda ATC 310R

"Man your 4 wheeler must be fast, cuz you were haulin' ass, when I passed you on 3 wheels"

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I would re-jet for sure, you don't really HAVE to do anything else to the motor, but I have been told that the 583 motor responds nicely to a little shaving of the heads. I would assume that freeing up the intake for air flow would help some too.

I have a 94 Formula Z 583, and was pondering some improvements this year, but since our snow here is baically a BIG 0, I'm gonna save my money for a couple 3-wheeler projects I have waiting in the wings.

Try going here and registering and see what these boys have to say (main forum link):
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Formula forum link:
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4

--
    When just changing the silencer, no jetting changes are necessary.... If you change the pipe on the other hand, jetting must be looked at. The silencer doesn't have any effect on jetting, it's all in the pipe...
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

Russell 350X is offline Testicles between my toes at the devils backbone Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    ^^^ditto^^ ^.....What kind of can are you gonna get?
    TF 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14!
    Raffa's IceFest 08, 09, 10,11,13!

SAY IT!!!!!BUD LIGHTS AND RED LIGHTS!!!!!!

--
    Oh and if you go on Dootalk and ask about putting a can on your sled, be prepared because it WILL get ugly... Can threads always end up going downhill fast and the mods over there don't let em go long. I've been a member there for almost 4 years and have seen it a hundred times. Save yourself a headache and just search the topic over there... Just a heads up..
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

Auto_Demon is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thanks everyone. And im looking to get an mbrp standard can
    1985 Honda ATC 310R

"Man your 4 wheeler must be fast, cuz you were haulin' ass, when I passed you on 3 wheels"

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 250r View Post
    When just changing the silencer, no jetting changes are necessary.... If you change the pipe on the other hand, jetting must be looked at. The silencer doesn't have any effect on jetting, it's all in the pipe...
    Interesting. I was always under the impression that any changes in the exhaust system warrant at least a plug check to be sure rejetting isn't neccesary. I should have been clearer in my first post and stated you MAY need to rejet. I stand corrected. Thanks Ride-Red and Russell.

Russell 350X is offline Testicles between my toes at the devils backbone Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    Interesting. I was always under the impression that any changes in the exhaust system warrant at least a plug check to be sure rejetting isn't neccesary. I should have been clearer in my first post and stated you MAY need to rejet. I stand corrected. Thanks Ride-Red and Russell.
    Yea only when you change the whole exaust set up do you need to alter jetting..the can has little to no effect on performance...just sound. I'm still running a stock setup on my Pro-X800...been thinking about a SLP can tho...but most cops tend to look down upon that haha...
    TF 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14!
    Raffa's IceFest 08, 09, 10,11,13!

SAY IT!!!!!BUD LIGHTS AND RED LIGHTS!!!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell 350X View Post
    Yea only when you change the whole exaust set up do you need to alter jetting..the can has little to no effect on performance...just sound. I'm still running a stock setup on my Pro-X800...been thinking about a SLP can tho...but most cops tend to look down upon that haha...
    ESPECIALLY in NY!

Truth of the matter is, when talking about more modern sleds, say late 90's-current production, I have found independent dyno tests that actually show a loss in peak power when running an aftermarket can vs the stock suitcase. From what I have seen and learned over the years, the best you could possibly hope for with an aftermarket silencer is to break even with stock performance levels. 9 times out of 10, you don't and actually lose a little and gain alot of noise, which is very un-welcome in the vast majority of public trail systems.

If you look closely at some of the "performance gains" touted by most aftermarket silencer manufacturers, you will see that the fine print states "with supporting modifications"... About the only real world benefit for running a can on a stock or near stock sled these days is a little weight savings and easier access to the chain case. And the weight savings is a BS copout excuse in my book for anyone who doesn't professionally race snow-x. I mean look at it this way, when I swing into a gast station with under 1/4 tank of fuel and fill it up, I'm not driving away with that freshly filled fuel tank saying "holy crap this thing is heavy and handles like garbage because I just added 40lbs of fuel!".... So, losing 7-10lbs going from the stock suitcase to the aftermarket can is a total BS excuse....

Not trying to start a "can thread" here on 3WW, just want to put things in some perspective..
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 250r View Post
    If you look closely at some of the "performance gains" touted by most aftermarket silencer manufacturers, you will see that the fine print states "with supporting modifications"... About the only real world benefit for running a can on a stock or near stock sled these days is a little weight savings and easier access to the chain case. And the weight savings is a BS copout excuse in my book for anyone who doesn't professionally race snow-x. I mean look at it this way, when I swing into a gast station with under 1/4 tank of fuel and fill it up, I'm not driving away with that freshly filled fuel tank saying "holy crap this thing is heavy and handles like garbage because I just added 40lbs of fuel!".... So, losing 7-10lbs going from the stock suitcase to the aftermarket can is a total BS excuse....

Not trying to start a "can thread" here on 3WW, just want to put things in some perspective..
    How right you are sir! That and the ever present "up to (insert HP increase here). Emphasis on the UP TO. Rarely is the "up to" number reached without additional mods. That goes for every vehicle/ATV/sled/motorcycle.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    How right you are sir! That and the ever present "up to (insert HP increase here). Emphasis on the UP TO. Rarely is the "up to" number reached without additional mods. That goes for every vehicle/ATV/sled/motorcycle.
    You are exactly right! Somebody needs to get a certain other member to understand this most basic fact.. I have tried, but to no avail....
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

--
    I know it wont give me more power but i would like to have it louder, cans just sound so awesome and to shed some pounds cuz my sled weighs over 500lbs. and ive recently found out it takes alot to get it unstuck
    1985 Honda ATC 310R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto_Demon View Post
    I know it wont give me more power but i would like to have it louder, cans just sound so awesome and to shed some pounds cuz my sled weighs over 500lbs. and ive recently found out it takes alot to get it unstuck
    I understand liking the sound, I like it as well for the most part. Just make sure loud exhaust on a sled is OK where you ride.

But on the weight savings, sorry man but you are way off base there. The difference in weight going from your stock silencer to an aftermarket silencer is about 10lbs, maybe a hair more or less depending on the brand.. TRUST ME, losing 10 or so pounds is NOT going to make your sled any easier to get unstuck. It's not going to make it handle better, or float on deep snow better or anything like that....

If you want a can because you like the sound, that's fine. But there is no real-world benefit to be had by running one. My advice is this: instead of spending $200-$300 on a can, why not do clutch work, a new deeper lug track, suspension upgrades?? See what I'm getting at? There's a WHOLE lot more bang for your buck out there than a can. IMHO, it's the biggest waste of $250 a person can spend on a sled. Steep price tag, no performance benefit..
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

--
    ya when i get the money im going to put some upgrades into my sled. My freinds keeop arguin with me tho that cans increase power but u need to rejet the carbs...but from what ive heard on here and other sources, my friends r completely oposite
    1985 Honda ATC 310R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto_Demon View Post
    ya when i get the money im going to put some upgrades into my sled. My freinds keeop arguin with me tho that cans increase power but u need to rejet the carbs...but from what ive heard on here and other sources, my friends r completely oposite
    You are absolutely right. Your friends have no idea what they are talking about.. If you search "cans" on Dootalk or somewhere similar, you should be able to find some independent dyno tests for cans and the like. "Dyno" tests performed BY MBRP FOR MBRP products for example, one must really take those "dyno" claims with a huge grain of salt and read the fine print. Cans alone require no rejetting and gain zero performance. The whole idea that slappin a can on and gaining performance is a complete contradiction to the science of 2-stroke exhaust theory.

On a side but related note, your friends mentioned running a can and jetting along with it. The thing is, the vast majority of carbed sleds are jetted fat from the factory for a few reasons. One reason is so the sled will survive the warantee period. Another is to be sure the sled won't burn down if the new owner takes it out riding on an exceptionally cold day. You have to remember, MANY people buy sleds that have no clue how to tune for peak performance and jet a machine. The manufacturers have to take that into account and tune a sled to a jetting setting that allows the sled to be run at a wide variety of elevations and temperatures....

So, having said that, most carbed sleds have some tuning room with the jetting for peak performance. You buddies are merely experiencing that very condition and attributing the perceived increase in performance to the can. Nothing could be farther from the truth.... If you simply google 2-stroke exhaust theory you will see that the silencer has nothing to do with the power curve and performance levels, so long as it does not restrict flow. In other words, as long the silencer flows the same as the pipe stinger, the silencer is just that, a silencer... All of your power curve/performance attributes are determined by the pipe with the pipes length, expansion chamber diameter, taper at the ends, and the pipe stinger. I know of no company that sells a silencer that restricts exhaust flow...

So in essence, when buying a can, the best you can hope to do is pay for more noise, and nothing more...

Do as you wish, I'm not trying to preach to you. I am just trying to help you make an informed decision on what you spend your hard earned money on.... Me, I like to spend my money on things that actually truly enhance performance.... Cans cannot, and will not do that....
    Last edited by RIDE-RED 250r; 01-19-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //