//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Need help figuring out the year and size of my 3wheeler!

--

Need help figuring out the year and size of my 3wheeler!

Have a question for all the experts out there. My kids recently purchased a 3wheeler. The problem is that it has been painted several times and the ID plate on the frame is MIA. Best we can figure from pictures is that it is a 80's model Honda 200x. It is a four stroke with full suspension and looks just like the 200x's we see online. Any tricks to figure out engine size and year would be helpful. We clocked it at 50mph almost full out if that helps at all. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. We need a few parts and would help greatly in getting the right parts.

--
    Welcome aboard! You came to the right place....

As to figuring out what 200x you have... A dead giveaway as to if it's a first generation ('83-'85) or 2nd generation ('86-'87) is the frame. If the frame is made of round tube it's first gen. If it's square tube it's a second gen. Also, the second gen engine is all together different from the 1st gen. It doesn't have the round aluminum timing cover on the rocker housing like the 1st gens do...1st gen 200x was a 5 speed, whereas the 2nd gen is a 6 speed...

By checking these things you can determine what era 200x you have. I am not as steeped in some of the possible small difference in the individual year 1st gens. I don't believe there are any significant difference between the 86 and 87 (2nd gen) 200x other than color scheme...
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Thanks a bunch. I have a 1st gen then. It has round tube frame, 5 speed tranny and the round aluminum cover you spoke about.

--
    sounds like a 200x from what description you have given, but a pic would be best. check the lefthand side of the headtube on the frame it should have the Vin# there. there is a Vin# decoder on the homepage you can run it through to see what you have exactly. hate to say it but it sound as though it could be a little iffy on the legal side of it, especially if the Vin# is missing as well (ground off or the like). even if it is a 200x chassis it doesn't mean it has a 200x motor. you can swap a few differant motors into it. good luck and tell us what you find.

EDIT: just saw your reply above after i posted. yeah 5speed w/manual clutch, would be a 200x motor.
    74 HONDA ATC 70
    85 HONDA 125M (undergoing surgery)
    85 YAMAHA YT60 red w/yellow trim (sold, still in the family)

"What the f*** are you doing Bill? The racetrack is no place for snacks and fancy cakes....
    I'll have a Custard Cream if your asking."

Quote Originally Posted by swampthang View Post
    Got to love that search button. Faster then a liquid R.

--
    Another question I have is the shock on the back seems weak. We have adjusted it out as far as we deem safe but it still squats a lot. Is this normal or should it have a higher stance?

--
    Thanks Jon Boy. I think someone decided they wanted to paint. Thing had flames on the tank that were yellow, then the whole thing was painted black. Painted the seat gray over the factory blue. It looks a beast but runs good. Are there any other places a serial number or ID could be located. There are so many coats of paint, I don't think anything stamped would show up.

--
    well, there should be a serial number on the motor for the motor, but that will just tell you what size and year of motor you got. that should give you a year as long as it's the original motor.
    74 HONDA ATC 70
    85 HONDA 125M (undergoing surgery)
    85 YAMAHA YT60 red w/yellow trim (sold, still in the family)

"What the f*** are you doing Bill? The racetrack is no place for snacks and fancy cakes....
    I'll have a Custard Cream if your asking."

Quote Originally Posted by swampthang View Post
    Got to love that search button. Faster then a liquid R.

--
    ya look on the motor right above your shifting lever
    Trikes
    83' atc 110
    83' atc 200e
    84' atc 200m
    84' atc 200x
    85' atc 200x
    86' P3

Non ATC
    2002 blaster sorry lol

--
    If the VIN is just buried under coats of paint, there's a good chance you cab expose it with a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Just go easy in case the years have corroded the numbers... The VIN is stamped on the steering stem housing..
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

rodeofan5656 is offline Girlfriend wishes I'd last longer than 8 seconds Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by rhughes225 View Post
    Another question I have is the shock on the back seems weak. We have adjusted it out as far as we deem safe but it still squats a lot. Is this normal or should it have a higher stance?
    with the shock, you wanna compress it to stiffen it. i dont know if the shocks on an '86 are the same are the 1st gen. but on my '86, there are 2 nuts on the top of the spring. if you thread the nuts to push down on the spring, itll stiffen the spring. if you lengthen the spring by relievin pressure (movin the nuts up), the spring will seem "weaker" and have more give. hope this helps!

1986 Honda ATC200X
    2005 Yamaha Road Star 1700
    ToyHauler- 1998 Ram 3500 5.9L Turbo Diesel

--
    on the rear swingarm , if its made wth square tubing its a84-85 if its roundtubing its a 83 , but they are interchangeable so it could have been altered at some point ,the blue seat is usaelly a 84-85 but easy to switch from another yr.pics would help
    GOT MUD?:

--

Help

I have An engine and the serial number is TB05E-5333140 I need help I cant find what model it is.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman293 View Post
    I have An engine and the serial number is TB05E-5333140 I need help I cant find what model it is.
    Here ya go

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    It is not on that list that is why I came here.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman293 View Post
    It is not on that list that is why I came here.
    Yes it is.

tb05e-5300004~ = 1984 atc200m

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //