//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Scootertrash's 85 200S build

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --

Scootertrash's 85 200S build

I got this trike in about 1999-2000 from a buddy who had it sitting under his deck for several years after it had died on him. He was the second owner and had bought it from a guy he worked with. The sammich maker was complaining and wanted it gone, so I volunteered to take it off his hands.(free) Turns out the reason it died was the ignition module, I replaced that, went thru the carb, changed the oil and it fired right up. I took it for a spin to warm it up good, changed the oil again, and repeated that once more. I changed the pipe to a DG 2 or 3 years ago and rejetted it. It’s been a good machine, always started no matter how cold it was. For whatever reason I was cruising the net one day and came across this site and .org. “What’s this? I can mod this thing with other Honda parts that drop right in?? Bigger cam? Bigger carb?"

I’ve been wrenching on anything and everything with a motor since I was about 14, but this is my first venture into the Honda 200 ATC motor. I have an 85 200X with a locked up motor out back, this one is practice
    So I couldn’t find any before pics, but it was in really good shape when I got it. Fenders were good with no cracks, one small dent in the tank, and the bars are bent from the previous owner going over backwards on a hill
    I tore the motor out last spring, but work , life, and higher priority projects kept this project at bay until recently.

Here are the specifics:
    Had the bore honed and the valves done
    I cleaned the casting imperfections out of the intake port in the head, and matched up the intake manifold to the head and carb flange. Cleaned up and polished the exhaust port
    Piston will be a Wiseco 10.25:1
    The cam will be Honda part #14101-437-000 for the 83-84 XL200R (all of the late 70’s to mid 80s XL series actually)
    The carb and intake manifold is from an 84 XR200
    Airbox will be stock 200S, air filter to be determined. Leaning towards a Uni. Suggestions welcome.
    Exhaust will be the DG pipe I had on previously
    Rear tires will be the ones in the pic for now, probably switch to Bear Claws
    Rear axle and drive was gone thru 2 years ago
    Front tire to be determined, but it’s gonna need one. Suggestions welcome
    Shocks will be rebuilt, new boots, and tapered bearing kit will go in the steering head
    That morphadite trailer hitch will be coming off

The patient (victim?)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roller1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	140882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roller2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	140883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roller3.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	140881

OK, now what?

Name:	Torndown1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	140884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torndown2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	140886

Bent shifter

Name:	Bentshifter.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	247.5 KB 
ID:	140887

I have some small parts coming in tomorrow, hopefully I'll be back at it tomorrow afternoon or Thursday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torndown2.jpg  
    Last edited by Scootertrash; 02-01-2012 at 10:51 PM.

chuckiedog04 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    looks good! keep posted and keep up the good work

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    OK! Apparently my updates were lost in the crash some months ago, so I wanted to re-update this thread for when others use the search function.

OK!! Had some other issues pop up along the way:
    Rear wheels wouldn't roll, so I popped off the wheels and then the brake housing cover and found that one of the brake pads had come loose from the shoe and wedged itself into the drum. Cleaned up the rust inside the housing and gave it a couple of coats of rustoleum, replaced the brake shoes, and installed new seals on the actuator arm opening and drum cover.

I swapped out the stock rims for 200X rims and used 400EX hubs to widen things out a touch. I had the parts, so why not right?

The old 200S cam lobes measured:
    Intake 1.235
    Exhaust 1.220

The new XL cam lobes measured:
    Intake: 1.251
    Exhaust: 1.235

The duration on the XL cam is a bit longer too, but I have no way of measuring that.

The XR 200 Carb is 26mm and the 200S is 24mm. I was able to use the 200S air box to carb tube by putting the carb end into some really hot water and then stretching it over the XR200 Carb. I set the carb up to XR200 specs, but ran the main jet on the rich side and I'll dial it down from there

I cleaned up and painted the DG pipe. I also made up a sleeve or whatever you want to call it for the slip joint where the headpipe and muffler join. This was a crappy fit from day one, and leaked, so rather than overtighten the clamp and crush the pipe to make it seal I went to the hardware store and bought a copper plumbing reducer. It was a little too big, so I cut a slot into the reducer and just kept widening it until the edges matched up when it was tight on the pipe and the clamp was tight. By the time I was done I'm guessing I had made about a 3/8 inch wide channel in the reducer. I slid my sleeve onto the headpipe, put the muffler on and installed the mount bolt to hold it in place, then I slid the sleeve up tight to the muffler pipe and tightened everything down. I actually ended up accomplishing 2 things when I did this, I eliminated the leaks and I also stiffened up the joint. If for some reason the copper doesn't hold up, I will go buy an actual exhaust reducer and use that. None of the auto stores had one in stock and would have had to order it and I wanted to test this out.

Ready for the motor

Name:	Ready1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	159550

Motor in and exhaust on. You can see the copper alloy hi flow exhaust joint (patent pending)

Name:	Ready2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	159551

Ready for the break in ride!!

Name:	readyfortesting.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	159552
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Looks nice Scooter..I like it. I have a 200m in the shop for the winter that I was planning to do a similar cleanup on.

Nice to see a guy show some love to the lesser machines and not just the 350x, 250r..etc.
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

--
    I've got some new Bear Claws on rims I'm gonna try to swap out today and try in the snow and see if they are better than the tires in the pics. I'm betting they will be. My fingers are itching to hit the "complete purchase" button on some 4 snows I've been drooling over....

I want to see how these perform first.
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

--
    Looks great Scoot. My first bike was a '84 200s back in 1987. One day I will get another and try and do as close to an oem restoration as I can.

--
    Book marking this one for the motor mods (darn search feature). I gonna try to rebuild a 82 200e motor and stuff it in a 83 200x frame. Already got alot of info through another thread of the frame mods I'll need to make. This will help beef up the drive train some too. Looks great! Thanks for posting!
    insanity - Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

My Feedback Thread.....http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-MRSOUND

86 honda big red
    85 250sx
    82 250r
    86 klt 185 black (project)
    86 klt 185 red
    85 klt 160 (Floyd)
    85 klt 110 X2 (projects)
    86 klt 110 X2
    84 klt 200
    84 atc 70
    DUCKSTER!

--
    Just another update: Added a NOS SuperTrapp to this build.

110 atc is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Where did you find the SuperTrapp? Was it a whole system or a slip onto the DG headpipe?
    1982 110, 1982 Big Red, 1983 70 Christmas Special X2, 1983 185s, 1984 200s, 1984 200m, 1986 250r, 1987 125m, 1987 lt500r x2, 2003 Rincon, 2008 700xx, 2016 pioneer 1000-5

--
    It was a complete system NOS. Found it on ebay. I think I have 2 more (1 more for sure) for the 83-85 200X that I got off of ebay, not NOS, used but in nice shape, that I found on ebay too. They don't come along very often. I don't know if it would fit on a DG pipe.

SuperTrapp still sells just the mufflers:

http://supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=34

Cheaper, but (IMHO) uglier option:

http://supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=35

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //