//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Appraisal of Yamaha 225DX & Honda 250SX?

--

Appraisal of Yamaha 225DX & Honda 250SX?

Hi Guys, I'm brand new to the forum as I've always had a couple of 3-Wheelers that get used at our cabin up north. My wife has always been somewhat nervous around them, so my thought is to keep one the one that has sentimental value to me for myself which is a 1985 Yamaha 225DR and part with my other two, replacing them with a newer quad for my wife.

I know condition and location mean everything (I'm in SE Wisconsin), however I was hoping that I could get some guidance as to a general ballpark value of my 3 Wheelers:

1984 Yamaha 225DX (Yellow)
    Plastic and seat are original in very good shape
    Has rear rack and rear trailer hitch
    Very good tires
    Runs well
    Electric Start with Recoil backup
    *It does need and exhaust gasket which is leaking where the head-pipe bolts to the head.

1986 Honda 250SX (Red with White Gas Tank)
    Newer Mayer rear plastic, original front fender with a repair. Original blue seat is in great shape
    Newer rear tires and very good front tire
    Electric Start with Kick start backup
    Reverse
    Runs well

Both 3 wheelers have low/dead batteries as I've just been using the recoil/kick starters since I just don't run them enough.

Also, any good sources for a replacement exhaust headpipe gasket for the Yamaha?

Thanks in advance for any education and input!

3wheely is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Hard to say, every location seems to get different prices. Here in FL. your 250sx would bring $600 to $800 maybe a little more depending on the condition. Would have to see pics. Don't follow the Yamaha's too much and don't see them for sale too often.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3wheely View Post
    Hard to say, every location seems to get different prices. Here in FL. your 250sx would bring $600 to $800 maybe a little more depending on the condition. Would have to see pics. Don't follow the Yamaha's too much and don't see them for sale too often.
    Thanks 3wheely, That's about the range that I was figuring as I paid $750 for the 250SX a few years ago.

Is there a good site(s) that you'd recommending me advertising my 3 Wheelers on?

Thanks again!

Big Mike is offline Part time collector of phallic shaped objects. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by oldiron1 View Post
    Thanks 3wheely, That's about the range that I was figuring as I paid $750 for the 250SX a few years ago.

Is there a good site(s) that you'd recommending me advertising my 3 Wheelers on?

Thanks again!
    HERE, Craiglist, and Ebay. I think you could get about $500-$700 for the SX (I paid $450 for my SX that is in a lot worse shape than yours 2 yrs ago at a flea market), and the Yamaha like Wheely said dont come up for sale often, but again $500-$700 would be a rough estimate.
    Currently Own:
    1985 ATC 250sx
    1986 ATC 350x
    1986 Polaris Scrambler 250R/ES (P3)

Projects/Parts machines:
    1980 ATC 185S

My Feedback Thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/124667-Feedback-for-Big-Mike?highlight=Feedback+for+Big+Mike

--
    Thanks Big Mike,

I appreciate the estimate. Unfortunately since I just joined this forum today, I'm not aloud to post in any other page of this forum becides this New Memebers page for 2 months. I was thinking Craigslist & Ebay.

I'm going to hang onto my Yamaha 225DR and have found that there isn't much info out there compared to Honda's. Why don't they come up very often? (Yamaha didn't make as many or there just isn't a following for the Yamaha's?) Just curious.

--
    Thanks Big Mike,

I appreciate the estimate. Unfortunately since I just joined this forum today, I'm not aloud to post in any other page of this forum becides this New Memebers page for 2 months. I was thinking Craigslist & Ebay.

I'm going to hang onto my Yamaha 225DR and have found that there isn't much info out there compared to Honda's. Why don't they come up very often? (Yamaha didn't make as many or there just isn't a following for the Yamaha's?) Just curious.
    1st off, you are correct you are not allowed to sell them on here until after two months. However, that has not stopped new members in the past.

2nd, you can't find much info on the DR because there were not near as many produced as compared to Hondas. Is yours the black and red model? If so, it is even more rare.
    Keep on Triking!!!! "I am the NIGHT RIDER!!!"

RIP Ninja!

Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-thestud25

Trike Fest 2011, 2012 Vet!
    Founding member of the Haspin 6ft Bats Club!!

Trikes Currently Owned:
    87 Big Red 250es
    86 Kawasak KLT110. All documentation, bought from original owner.
    83 Honda 200s
    81 Honda Atc 70
    (4) Suzuki ALT 50's
    Yamaha YT 60

--
    Quote Originally Posted by thestud25 View Post
    1st off, you are correct you are not allowed to sell them on here until after two months. However, that has not stopped new members in the past.

2nd, you can't find much info on the DR because there were not near as many produced as compared to Hondas. Is yours the black and red model? If so, it is even more rare.

My DR is all black with grey graphics. I didn't even realize that there was a black/red version. What was the difference besides the color?

unclecracker is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Post up some pictures in this thread.

They made a lot more DXs than DRs and the Yamahas don't have the same kind of following (those they are nice machines).

--
    My DR is all black with grey graphics. I didn't even realize that there was a black/red version. What was the difference besides the color?
    The Red and Black was a limited or "Special Edition".
    Last edited by thestud25; 02-06-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    Keep on Triking!!!! "I am the NIGHT RIDER!!!"

RIP Ninja!

Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-thestud25

Trike Fest 2011, 2012 Vet!
    Founding member of the Haspin 6ft Bats Club!!

Trikes Currently Owned:
    87 Big Red 250es
    86 Kawasak KLT110. All documentation, bought from original owner.
    83 Honda 200s
    81 Honda Atc 70
    (4) Suzuki ALT 50's
    Yamaha YT 60

--
    Thanks Guys, I did find a few pictures of the Honda 250SX on my computer here at home.

I'd like to get the $750 that I paid for it a couple of years ago back out of it, if that's not unreasonable.

--
    What is the difference between a DR and a DX i was thinking about calling about one for sale here locally.

dksix is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    The DR's had reverse, the DX's didn't, that all I know of being different. If the SX was ini NE Tennessee, I'd be interested. Not many of them come up for sale around me. There was a nice DR on the Knoxville TN CL awhile back for $600 (I think that was the price). I don't know if it ever sold but I thought it was a great price for my area. Around here trikes are rare and high.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dksix View Post
    The DR's had reverse, the DX's didn't, that all I know of being different. If the SX was ini NE Tennessee, I'd be interested. Not many of them come up for sale around me. There was a nice DR on the Knoxville TN CL awhile back for $600 (I think that was the price). I don't know if it ever sold but I thought it was a great price for my area. Around here trikes are rare and high.
    The above statement is exactly right.

1. The DR has reverse, while the DX doesn't.
    2. The DR replaced the DX in 1985 I believe
    3. The DR's have black plastic while the DX's have yellow plastic
    4. I've seen far more DX's in this area (SE Wisconsin) than DR's.

Actually, I can't remember ever seeing another DR around my area locally besides my own. I'll try to get some pictures of it this weekend. Mine has sentimental value to me as my next door neighbor (still a good friend of mine to this day) purchased it brand new in 1985 and babied it until he had young children in 1995ish when his wife "suggested" that he sell it because of their kid's safety. My uncle bought it and enjoyed it for puddling around his yard until his passed away in 1999 and left it to my brother and I. We still have it and really haven't put a whole lot of hours on it, but enjoy it. Besides replacement grips and rear tires, it looks almost exactly the way it did 1985 although I know that the carb needs to be gone through from not being run enough lately.

unclecracker is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    #3 - DR did come in other colors, see my blue DR below, DX also came in blue

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4014.jpg 
Views:	1605 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	141395

--
    Cool! I didn't realize DR's came in any colors but black. What year is your blue DR?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //