//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My 82 honda atc wont idle good and will stall if i try to give alot of gas

--

My 82 honda atc wont idle good and will stall if i try to give alot of gas

hey, i really need some help with this issue.. ive cleaned my carb and the jets... but it still doesnt seem to idle good and will stall if i dont give it gas while sitting there... whether im in gear or idling.. the carb is very clean... im changing the oil tmrw because it was very low and black (only touched the end of the dipstick when i screwed it in) but would the oil cause it to idle bad? i want to adjust the carb but which side of the carb is it on? any ideas why it is doing this? it seems to bog out if i give it alot of gas at once or try to start in a high gear, then it stalls.... i got the wheeler with an extra motor, a carb or two, a bunch of other parts, for which i traded a guitar amp haha pretty good deal on my part :P
    but anyways thanks in advance for your input!

--
    ATC200 or what? Sounds like you need to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw. It should be on the bottom side of the carb in front of the bowl if it is a 200 model. Turn it in all the way the back it out 3 full turns. The adjust in or out a 1/4 turn to make it perfect.
    Keep on Triking!!!! "I am the NIGHT RIDER!!!"

RIP Ninja!

Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-thestud25

Trike Fest 2011, 2012 Vet!
    Founding member of the Haspin 6ft Bats Club!!

Trikes Currently Owned:
    87 Big Red 250es
    86 Kawasak KLT110. All documentation, bought from original owner.
    83 Honda 200s
    81 Honda Atc 70
    (4) Suzuki ALT 50's
    Yamaha YT 60

--

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by thestud25 View Post
    ATC200 or what? Sounds like you need to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw. It should be on the bottom side of the carb in front of the bowl if it is a 200 model. Turn it in all the way the back it out 3 full turns. The adjust in or out a 1/4 turn to make it perfect.
    Yup. sorry it is a 200..... ill have to try that out then and see if she works! thanks... ill update sayin if it worked or not

--
    out of curiosity i can do that without having to take the carb off right?
    sorry.. im new to this stuff

--
    Yes don't take the carb off just use a flat head screw driver and adjust it as per studs instructions
    Trikes
    83' atc 110
    83' atc 200e
    84' atc 200m
    84' atc 200x
    85' atc 200x
    86' P3

Non ATC
    2002 blaster sorry lol

--
    okay, i adjusted the carb and still no luck.. maybe if i make it idle high it would solve the problem?

--
    Can you look threw the jets on the carb.Take them out and hold them up to a light you should beable to see a pin hole of light threw them.Also what is your slide needle set at.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    Can you look threw the jets on the carb.Take them out and hold them up to a light you should beable to see a pin hole of light threw them.Also what is your slide needle set at.
    I cleaned the jet and i could see Right through it... was there more than one jet? the carb looked pretty clean before i cleaned it anyways... could the idle be set too low?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    I cleaned the jet and i could see Right through it... was there more than one jet? the carb looked pretty clean before i cleaned it anyways... could the idle be set too low?
    Idle screw should be on the side of the carb and raises the main piston needle by pressing on an inclined plane
    on the side of the slide.

Those slow jets are tiny.
    For years, I used an .008" guitar string and eventually discovered that a .010" string should fit.

Just because you can see through the jets doesn't mean the internal passages are clear.
    Did you blow them out with compressed air? or even mouth pressure with a piece of fuel line
    might work.

see if you can click on the following words as a link
    service manual

but please keep us posted.
    We all need to know the answer

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tri again View Post
    Idle screw should be on the side of the carb and raises the main piston needle by pressing on an inclined plane
    on the side of the slide.

Those slow jets are tiny.
    For years, I used an .008" guitar string and eventually discovered that a .010" string should fit.

Just because you can see through the jets doesn't mean the internal passages are clear.
    Did you blow them out with compressed air? or even mouth pressure with a piece of fuel line
    might work.

see if you can click on the following words as a link
    service manual

but please keep us posted.
    We all need to know the answer
    Well I'm going to work on the wheeler in a couple days at my friends barn so I can weld an exhaust leak and hopefully fix the carb (if that's what's it is really wrong) and to also weld a rack on the rear end. I'll post once I get done working on it.

--
    yup so i took it for a drive through the tracks with my friends the other day, and i turned it off and through it on back of he truck, tried to jumpstart it again and it wont run... it turns over fine... but wont run... no spark either... checked that the wires were all connected and nothing... any ideas?

--
    Two things. Get it firing again and then spray ether or carb cleaner around the carb intake and carb. If it stalls or revs out you have an air leak. That is a problem. If you are losing fire lt have weak for chances are the stator is bad or going bad. We had the same issues on music buddy's 185. Pretty much identical motors, electric, etc.

RIP Ninja!

Trikes Currently Owned:
    87 Big Red 250es
    83 Honda 200s
    81 Honda Atc 70
    (4) Suzuki ALT 50's
    Yamaha YT 60

--
    how would i be able to check if it was the igntion coil? how do i take out the ignition coil? i have an extra motor so i can just swap it out

--
    we did the spark test and it would not spaark... it was getting gas fine.. just no spark

--
    The coil is what the plug wire hooks to. The stator is what is behind the flywheel, behind the pull start. Should be one yellow and one black wire coming out from the stator. You can visually inspect the coil for surface cracks. If you see one or multiple, that could be the problem, but chances are you will need to change the stator. P.S. do not try and remove the flywheel without the proper puller. You can buy on on ebay for $17.99. They thread in with reverse threads and have a center bolt that threads in the middle normal and pushes the flywheel off the crank shaft. You will tear stuff up remobing or attempting to remove the fly wheel without the right tool. You have to make sure you don't throw the timing off pulling the flywheel as well.

RIP Ninja!

Trikes Currently Owned:
    87 Big Red 250es
    83 Honda 200s
    81 Honda Atc 70
    (4) Suzuki ALT 50's
    Yamaha YT 60

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //