//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1984 200ES CDI Replacement, MythBusted..

Dave_D is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Oops. I've started mine with a booster box already lol
    Might cut that out...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_D View Post
    Oops. I've started mine with a booster box already lol
    Might cut that out...
    You won't hurt it none.. I have jumped many of them with my jump box. The worst you can do is hurt the regulator/rectifier but with a booster/jump box your right at normal battery voltage anyway. If you jump start it off a vehicle with jumper cables you could increase the voltage too high to the point it blows the regulator. Usually when you put the load of a dead battery on a modern vehicle, be it the vehicles battery was dead or you connected a dead battery with jumper cables and therefore pull the vehicles battery voltage low it adjusts to bring the battery back up. I have seen some modern vehicles with ECM driven alternators make it up to 14.8v until the battery comes back up to full charge. Pretty interesting how the manufacturers have built this feature in rather than just a dumb system with an alternator doing more work then it needs to.

I have an old GM AC Delco one wire alternator thats bolted up to a small 7hp Briggs that was a water pump in its previous life and has a handle on the top to make it portable. Its not light but its not overly heavy. If my jump box can't get the job done or i need some more amperage i just fire that up, it has a set of jumper cables permanently wired to the alternators output. Thats good for about 80-100a, good fast battery charger that only needs gas! Damn handy when the power is out.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    That's good to hear,I guess it would be safe to just use a battery charger instead of jumpers anyway. Maybe it was just a coincidence my CDI failed after I jump started it with my car battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
    Actually.... Jump starting can not, and will not, hurt the CDI. The CDI is in no way connected to the DC side of the system. The ignition has its own separate coil in the flywheel, it never crosses over with the lighting and starting side of things. Applying voltage to the battery to jump start it can damage the rectifier/regulator however, but it can't do anything to the ignition at all.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by honda200x1987 View Post
    That's good to hear,I guess it would be safe to just use a battery charger instead of jumpers anyway. Maybe it was just a coincidence my CDI failed after I jump started it with my car battery?
    The safest is to be patient and put on a charger and leave it alone, even better is a smart charger or battery tender with a max charge rate of 1-2 amps. It will take a better portion of the day to slowly charge it but its much better for the battery than a fast jolt and quick charge. I have a battery tender on my 200ES, its plugged in whenever its not running, that slow charges at a 1a rate until it reaches full voltage then it trickle charges it at a couple hundred milliamp to keep it topped off. Good investment if you have stuff sitting with batteries in them. I have another one in my other shed that can connect up to four batteries to it, one is my lawn tractor the other is my snowblower. The other two ports are spares for when i need to top off a battery.

Probably just a coincidence your CDI died. It happens! LOL
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    http://www.vintageconnections.com/

They have the male and female latching connector with crimps for both, $3 for the pair. Just found my new supplier for these!

outstanding source of parts sir! thank you a ton!!! you just saved me a ton of time!!! kudos!!!

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Your welcome! I have bought a ton of stuff from Vintage Connections now, all seems to be good quality.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Thanks to kb's research, I've ordered an aftermarket CDI with the proper 84200es connector off eBay for around $65.00 US. I'll update once it's here and installed.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Sounds like how my CDI died... I started it and moved it across my yard to my shed to change the oil, came back later that afternoon and no spark and wouldn't start. Took the CDI off and smacked it hard on the concrete a few times and then it started right up. A few days later i was replacing the CDI... LOL
    KB, how do I take the CDI off? I would imagine I'm having the same trouble right now. My trike would run for a while. Then, it wouldn't start. It might start and run for an hour or so, then nothing. Next day, I might get it to run for 10 minutes, then it'd die and nothing. Now it doesn't start at all. I'd like to try this fix on mine but I have no idea how to take the CDI off, much less buy that stuff you've said to buy and put it back together again. Also, I've read so many things about this CDI I'm not sure who said what. I know that mine has the reverse inhibitor thing where it won't start if it's in gear. I've read somewhere that going to this aftermarket CDI will let it start in gear. Is this true? Sorry if it's been said in this thread, I've looked and can't find it again.

Please help me with this. I'd sure appreciate it!
    Last edited by Hunter79; 03-31-2015 at 01:09 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter79 View Post
    KB, how do I take the CDI off? I would imagine I'm having the same trouble right now. My trike would run for a while. Then, it wouldn't start. It might start and run for an hour or so, then nothing. Next day, I might get it to run for 10 minutes, then it'd die and nothing. Now it doesn't start at all. I'd like to try this fix on mine but I have no idea how to take the CDI off, much less buy that stuff you've said to buy and put it back together again. Also, I've read so many things about this CDI I'm not sure who said what. I know that mine has the reverse inhibitor thing where it won't start if it's in gear. I've read somewhere that going to this aftermarket CDI will let it start in gear. Is this true? Sorry if it's been said in this thread, I've looked and can't find it again.

Please help me with this. I'd sure appreciate it!
    I brought this up again so maybe someone would see it. Thanks!

--
    kbOnly? Is he/she still a member?

--
    Hey i'm here! Just life keeping me busy and away from the computer... LOL

Disabling the reverse lockout or an aftermarket CDI will not let it start in gear as far as the electric start is concerned, however it will pull start in gear because the neutral safety switch only prevents the electric started solenoid from being engaged.

The CDI is just mounted in a rubber sleeve thats pushed onto a tab welded onto the frame, it just pulls right off.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Hey i'm here! Just life keeping me busy and away from the computer... LOL

Disabling the reverse lockout or an aftermarket CDI will not let it start in gear as far as the electric start is concerned, however it will pull start in gear because the neutral safety switch only prevents the electric started solenoid from being engaged.

The CDI is just mounted in a rubber sleeve thats pushed onto a tab welded onto the frame, it just pulls right off.
    So, am I reading this right? I won't have the neutral light on mine anymore with the new CDI? Is that right? I guess what I'm asking is, what will I lose with the new CDI? What will stay the same? Thanks again!

--
    Well, I got the CDI on and it's running finally. Thanks so much KB for all of the help, as well as everyone else whom helped me. I hope it continues to run like it is now!

--
    Help..kbOnly (cdi guru). Finally got this CDI (http://www.ebay.com/itm/381395993441...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) picked up from the post office. It's for my 84 200ES. Thought maybe it would just hook right up it being a round 6 pin. Fits fine but...Here's my problem, trans in nuetral/low forward, new cdi installed, key on, neutral light on, NO starter action when ya push the button. Take out new cdi and the starter works. So after re-reading this whole thread could it just be as simple as removing/cutting the grey wire? Rather ask before doing something stupid and cutting things up. Also I don't have a pull starter...maybe someday I'll fix and reinstall it.
    Last edited by mendoAu; 10-02-2015 at 06:26 PM.

--
    try removing the grey wire yes.
    you have to make sure the aftermarket CDI is the same pin outs as the stocker. (usually 1 or 2 are different). that could also be part of the issue.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //