//ArrowChat Code
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1984 200ES CDI Replacement, MythBusted..

--
    Yep, I removed the grey wire and the starter button now works. I'm still having trouble with identifing which pin is for what on this new cdi. I'll get back to it in a couple of days.

--
    k
    good luck! the place you got it from may have a wiring diagram for it if you ask them for one. does the trike run now?

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Yep, it runs with the old cdi installed..but with a weak spark and a slight miss. At times it losses spark and will not start. Next time it works so I'm reluctant to take it far. Just don't want to break down in the woods. The new cdi (round 6 pin) is supposed to work for Honda ATC 200M / ATC 200S / ATC 200X 1983 1984 1985. Tried several different ways but nothing seems to work. It's possible that I damaged the new cdi with having it wired wrong. Just for grins I ordered a new cdi (china....5 bucks) with a 5 pin rectangular plug. kbOnly posted the link for the wiring for these units ....so. Can always use it for a back-up.
    Last edited by mendoAu; 10-06-2015 at 03:14 PM.

--
    good luck.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Up-date. Got the square six pin chinese cdi ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/260692406610...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ) and the

" Vintage Connections
    (510) 790-1229
    admin@vintageconnections.com
    Your purchase
    White Nylon Latching Connector Pair, 6-pin M/F shells + 7 each M/F OEM 2.8mm spades (Qty 2)
    $6.00
    Item #HP6L Pair, White "

And all is well in the kingdom. This 84 200es runs great now.
    And

Crazyktmmatt is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Can other bikes cdi's be converted too?
    200x - I think I have 7 of em?

10 70's
    3 350x's
    Tri Z
    kxt
    and the 90 110 125m that I need to get rid of.
    YT175 with rear suspension sold
    200es- SOLD !!!!!!

--
    I would say yes. It's just a matter of getting the right wire to match the pin on the cdi. Like earlier stated the 84 200es and a few others have an "oddball" round six pin connector.

--
    Hi Guys, I am shopping around for a Chinese CDI for my 83' ATC200E and see that you get 2 versions ... a AC and a DC version, which one in the correct one?
    1983 Honda ATC250R
    1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED (sold)
    1984 Honda ATC200X (sold)
    1985 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1985 Honda ATC70 x 2
    2001 Honda TRX90
    2004 Honda TRX300EX (sold)
    2008 Honda TRX250TM
    1976 Suzuki RV90M (sold)
    1967 Vespa Primavera 125
    1958 Massey Ferguson 35

--
    Quote Originally Posted by deejaycee_2000 View Post
    Hi Guys, I am shopping around for a Chinese CDI for my 83' ATC200E and see that you get 2 versions ... a AC and a DC version, which one in the correct one?
    Hi Dirk
    Here is a pic of the wiring of the CDI(I wanted to send it to you but there doesn't seem to be a way to attach it in a PM)
    Regards
    Stephen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CDI wiring chart.pdf  
    1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED x6

1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED x3

1984 Honda ATC70 LITTLE RED

1983 Honda ATC185S(200E engine)

1984 Honda ATC200X

1985 ATC 70

1983 ATC 70

ericmreimer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Looking big for a good source for a 6 pin CDI. The old links don't work on this thread. Kbonly still around? I'm fighting a no spark issue on my 200es project bike. I did the swap on my other 4 years ago and it's running beautifully.
    1984 Honda ATC200ES saved

Project in progress 1984 ATC200ES with Trx200 rear suspension/200m front suspension

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ericmreimer View Post
    Looking big for a good source for a 6 pin CDI. The old links don't work on this thread. Kbonly still around? I'm fighting a no spark issue on my 200es project bike. I did the swap on my other 4 years ago and it's running beautifully.
    I know a lot of the links are dead after many years... The CDI on the DR ATV page still works, so that link also still works.

http://http://dratv.com/cdiunatseeap.html

So anyone coming back to this discussion that's the best place i can point you to. Most of the eBay links i had are dead now. I am working on digging up some current listings and sellers on eBay that will also work. My CDI died today on my daily driver 200ES, but that cheap chinese one lasted 7 years so i won't complain too much! Luckily i still had a spare in my toolbox, but its been sitting for 7 years waiting for its turn. So i better find some more spares just in case. If i find another source off eBay that i buy and test and they work i will try and get that info posted here as well.

Also, to answer another old post on this discussion... If there is a choice of AC or DC listed for the CDI then you want AC, as its AC from the ignition stator to the CDI, no DC conversion for the ignition on these. That's another thing i ran into when mine died today, i have a box full of CDI's that i tested at one time when i was posting this originally. Some of the ones i have turned out to be a DC CDI with a green connector shell on them, others with a brown connector shell were AC, and some with a white connector shell were either AC or DC depending on what the seller said they were. So i have some that won't run, i have some that idle but won't throttle up, and i have a couple that only fire every other cycle, so it sounds like a hit and miss engine... LOL

I will say it again though, just to be clear, if you want one that for sure works, get it from DR ATV, his works, and every one that i bought from him to repair dead trikes have worked flawlessly. If you want to gamble on cheaper ones then the best options i can currently find on eBay will hopefully be listed in a few days as i have time to sort through the listings. But until i get them myself and test them i can't guarantee they work, and by the time i post up links they could be sold out or changed. Its a crap shoot on these unless your buying from a dedicated source.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Beatrice Cycle (Dr. ATV) also sells the square CDI connectors, so anyone with a round style can convert them. Wire cutting is completely unnecessary too, because all one has to do is release the terminals and insert them into the new square connector. I done this on my 200ES years ago, two minute job if the tank is already off.

The only thing given up is the reverse interlock. The electric start will now work while in reverse. Just put that wire into the empty connector slot, and it doesn't connect to anything on the square CDIs.
    http://dratv.com/cdicopa409.html

Some information from their site.

https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/dratv_2272_28500555

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/dratv/china-...signment-3.gif

Something on the AC/DC CDIs is they all operate on AC. The DC ones are physically larger because they have the components inside to invert DC to AC. A DC CDI is powered by a battery, not an ignition source on the stator, but both they are triggered the same way. DC CDIs are more prone to failure because of the extra components and heat from the inverter and that's personal experience. Luckily, the 200ES only uses the DC system for the lights and charging, with the ignition being a totally independent AC system. The charging system on the 200ES is rather anemic, but both it and the ignition system are very reliable.
    Last edited by ATC King; 05-03-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Great article. But no where does it say the cheap Chinese cdi model number. Yes DrATV sells some for $19.95 and i ha e purchsed from him. But which cheap ebay cdi to get. Are all AC 6 pin cdi boxes the same?
    Can someone post a link to the correct cdi that fits the end plugs that are mentioned in this thread.
    Thanks
    MrC.

--
    The thing about buying from Dr ATV is they have taken the guesswork out of buying low priced, a non-OEM CDI. Buying 10 CDIs from 10 different sellers on Ebay, will probably give just as many different results and maybe one of them will work as good as OEM. It's a crapshoot I personally know and PS2fixer has posted his results of playing the same game. No doubt others have done the same.

There is no part number, per se, for Chinese CDIs. They have a Forrest Gump, box of chocolates randomness, unless coming from the same supplier and en masse.

As for the square connector they sell, just about all of the aftermarket CDIs will fit, along with the OEM Honda ones.

ON the DrATV website, they actually refer to this thread for one of the CDIs they sell.http://dratv.com/cdiunatseeap.html

DrAtv also has the round style plug CDI for a 200ES, but they are currently out of stock. The OEM Honda CDI is still available too, 30410-969-013 and ~$140
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Hey guys, just wanted to report, I received my plug and Chinese CDI from Beatrice yesterday for my 84 200es big red "Junkyard dog" build, using the chart above I removed the round plug reinstalled the wires in the new square plug and plunged it in. turned the key, pushed the button verified good strong blue spark. screwed in the plug and she fired right up, no hesitation at all.
    I purchased a spare CDI and plug, Y'all know I will need another soon. total with shipping was right at $50. I am very pleased no guess work, the old CDI was hit or miss, very aggravating. Thank again for the information. I did install the gray wire into the new plug, I know it doesn't go anywhere but it looks better all wires terminated.
    Thanks,
    MrC.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //