//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a 1983 Honda Atc 200

--
    Does anyone have any Ideas? condenser is my best guess. I don't know if the new plug is fouled yet or not, I haven't taken that off... but When I crank it. It idles very high for about 20 sec or so and then kills completey. then it is really hard to crank again unless i let it sit for about 20 mins.

I need to plug a couple of pin holes on my gas tank any ideas? JB weld? epoxy?? I don't know what else can be used.

--
    I went out today and tried to idle the bike down.. I think part of the reason it was idling so high was the cable was put on wrong.. anyway I turned the idle screw clockwise ( the one on the right side the carb with the spring)before cranking, and it cranked up and and idled for several minutes, a little high but okay. In tring to set the mixture inthe carb, I turned it clock wise until i couldn't turn the screw any more. It never stalled at all either way? just idled high? I didn't get to check the numbers on the jets yet I may just take it all off this weekend and look at it. also while it was running, i pressed the gas it didn't do anything. I know that the i have the cable on right now I put it in the carb right... but I will tripple check that.....

I can use JB Weld to stop the leak on my gas tank and muffler right?... How do I take the carbon build up out of the muffler system?
    One more thing, It almost felt like i lost compression the very las time i cranked it? any reasons why?

--
    Your Carb and Throttle Situation:
    you need to get a manual (you may already have one) and it will tell you how to set your fuel/air mixture screw. Rule of thumb is seat the screw gently and then turn out 2.5 turns, but again, I would defer to your manual for your specific situation. When you screw it all the way in that means that you are letting NORMAL FUEL / LOW AIR in with your air mixture. When you screw it all the way out that means that you are letting HIGH AMOUNTS OF AIR in your mixture. Generally, when you loosen the screw all the way, the engine should start revving higher because its starving for fuel. So now you have throttle spring but the carb isn't revving when you depress your thumb throttle??? Man, you are having some bad luck with this setup. I think you need to triple check everything as you said as I am sure it is something simple that has been overlooked.

Your Tank and Muffler Situation:
    I love JB weld and yes, you can use it to stop leaks in your gas tank and muffler. Honestly though, I would either take your tank and muffler to a weld shop and do the patch correctly or just go buy different parts. The only reason I ever use JB weld is if I am backed into a corner and its the only option I have. To each their own. When you say carbon build up, what do you mean? You can actually see chunks of carbon in your pipe? Or are you referring to the soot laying inside the pipe? If its the latter I wouldn't worry about it. Once you get it running right/smoothly, take it out and run it WOT for a while and all that soot will blow out the back.

Losing compression:
    I would need to know more about your motor to diagnose appropriately. It could be any number of things. I would say get it running right first and then diagnose your 1 time compression loss problem. If you can't get it running correctly, then maybe the compression loss is your problem.

In the future, I know I would benefit by seeing some photos of this beast and the various areas you are trying to fix. Post em up!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I believe I will make a video of the bike this weeked explain the problems and takes some pics so that you can see what is going on. I am going to JB weld for now, but i have a friend that welds. I will get him to do a permanent fix later. Thanks I will let everyone know how it goes this weekend with pics and videos.

--
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61qGE...eature=mh_lolz

That is the video of the bike... I cut out on me really quick so i didn't get to show what the bike was doing but that is how high it is idling and how much smoke is come out.. I take me a bit to crank it but that is proably because i just but the tank back on.

Thanks

--
    The lever you asked about in the video is the compression release, supposed to have a cable to it that pulls it up when you go to pull it over so that you can spin it over faster, it drops back down as you crank it over.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Oh okay make sense. does it matter to replace right now i ususally don't have much trouble cranking it. I am going to to a double/tripple check on everything this weekend. the video cut out on me rather qickly. It almost acts like it is revved up. I am going to take a quad look at the cable and all in the throttle body. I know it is something simple that I am overlooking.

--
    The bike is idling WAY to high. You need to turn the idle screw down. If turning the idle screw down doesn't help I would say that something is seriously wrong with your slide or your thumb throttle adjustment.

It looked like it was smoking too. Probably time for a new set of rings.

--
    Alright guys I found the idle problem, some how the cable got snagged in the top end of the throttle cable. Easy fix. Now the fitting on the carb where the fuel goes into the carb from the gas tank, came out. Can you put that back in? It is that little brass fitting.

--
    Its pressed in at the factory, I rarely have them come out. try to push it in, and squeese the area around it to hold it in, if you look closely this is how the factory does it. if it leaks or its not snug then I've had luck roughing it up with light sandpaper and using a fuel safe epoxy to put it hold it tight. I find that those Fuel Tank Repair kits (click this link) work great, like 12 bucks at auto parts store. use the one that you mix the liquids together its Permatex 9101 i think. , comes with some fiberglass and a little brush for larger repairs. you will need the tiniest amount of the liquid on the fitting to put it back. too much and you will have a nightmare if it gets in the orifices in your carb.

you do not want the stick that you knead together, it wont suffice for this.

--
    Thank you that is great info

--
    I am happy to announce that It is finnally running right! I took it for a short spin this morning. I will try to make a video of it and show it to you all.. It is smoking trying to decide wether a top end rebuild or just a piston rings and/or piston. Going to change the oil hopefully tomorrow morning.

--
    depending on how bad the cylinder walls are scratched you may be able to get away with a cylinder hone and slap new rings on the piston. I would also change out the valve seals while you are in there. Good to hear it is running correctly.

--
    How did you get the nipple back in the orifice in the carb? giggity.

--
    I used a and socket extension and use a set of lock pliers to clamp it. If it comes out again I will use some jb weld.. my best friend!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //