//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a 1983 Honda Atc 200

--

Just bought a 1983 Honda Atc 200

Hey I just bought this 3 wheeler and was wondering why it is bogging down. I cleaned the carbeurator and everthing, I wonder if the compression is weak. How do you check the compression of the 3 wheller also when it dies it has a very strong gas smell. I am changing the oil out this week end anything else i need to do?

--
    To check the compression you just need a gauge, available at just about any auto parts store, then its just a matter of screwing it in, in place of the spark plug, and cranking it over doing what the service manual suggests, etc.

If it dies with a strong gas smell then its likely it flooded. Make sure the float in the carb is working correctly, do you see and gas coming from the carb overflow tube?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    If the float is not working how do i fix that? I am going to the auto parts store and picking up a plug so i will get the compression gauge. I have no idea if gas is going in the over flow tube I don't know where that is. How much compression is it supposed to have. i have a manual and I believe it is the right one.

remsandpets is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Welcome to the 3wheelerworld Big-B. I also have an 83 Honda 200. Download the service manual. It has everything you should ever need. You should be able to rent the compression gauge. Unless you just want to have one around. Just get one that screws into the spark plug hole, not one that has to be pushed in. Those are a pain in the ---. It does sound like a float stuck issue but that's me.
    Russ J in SW PA
    83 Honda 200 (fishing and hunting "rig")
    83 Honda 185 (parts)
    95 Polaris Xplorer 300 4x4 (WIP)

--
    If the float is stuck its usually just the needle has some crud, i know you went through it but its not too uncommon to have some junk flow down from the tank or line after putting it back on, do you have a filter inline?

The gauge can be had really cheap if you look around, and yes get one that screws in. I found mine at a local Runnings Fleet and Farm store for $10, i have used it many times it paid for itself doing diagnostics on both trikes and cars. If you need a manual look below in my signature for my manual server link, should be one there for your model.

If the float is stuck though its very obvious, the bowl will overfill and you will see fuel coming out the bottom of the carb, out the drain hose if you have a hose on that fitting. If its not pouring out the overflow outlet then chances are its not a stuck float, could just be set too rich. Also make sure your needle has its retaining clip on the top side of the slide, its a little W shaped piece of metal that gets held down by the spring. Without that the needle can float up, though that generally causes the engine to rev as well, but if the mixture screw isn't set right it can just flood it out as well.

Basically your going to have to go over the carb, check the compression, check the valve adjustments, and work your way from there. At least it has spark and fires!
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    I got the Manual that was great thank you!! I will definately work on it sat and see if this takes care of the Problem.

--
    Good news is i only paid a 100 bucks for the bike!

--

Spitting out Oil!!

I went to change the oil, and I opened the oil to see how bad it was cranked the 3 wheeler to warm it and it started shooting oil out from where you check the oil. little bitty spot all over the bike. Acts like I have a gunked up Top half. I really didn't want to do the rebuild but I guess I will have to! A guy down he road said he could bore it out and rebuild the top half for 200 in parts. Should i do that?

Also here is a pick of my bike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0308.jpg 
Views:	994 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	151830

remsandpets is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    If it is just splashing out in drops, its probably not because it needs rebuild. Its probably the crank splashing in the oil. Not a bad trike for ony $100. You got a deal. Paid 5 for mine. Are you planning on the seat after you get it running? I picked up a saddleman kit from amazon.com, foam and cover for 79. And change. Thru Bigbadpowersports.com. Of course I had to install ift and I'm sure mrs. Mosh's. Seat would have looked better. But you get what you pay for. Sometimes anyway.
    Russ J in SW PA
    83 Honda 200 (fishing and hunting "rig")
    83 Honda 185 (parts)
    95 Polaris Xplorer 300 4x4 (WIP)

--
    If I understand correctly you had oil coming out of the fill hole while it was running with the dipstick out? If so that's normal. Warm it up with the dipstick in, then drain it with it out. Don't go rushing into a rebuild.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Just in question, do i need to buy a torch wrench to work on my bike or can I use just a regular socket set? Is it import to use the tork wrench?

--
    Not bad for $100!! Looks pretty good!

A torque wrench is a good investment! The first time you snap off a bolt thats near impossible to replace you will be wishing you had a torque wrench to avoid those type of problems! They aren't that expensive. Problem is for working on things like these motors you need a low range torque wrench, i have one thats 2-35 ft lbs or something like that, most of the torque values you will encounter for case bolts and stuff like that is pretty low, most of which you can just snug up and its close enough.

Oil coming out while running is perfectly normal. There is a lot of oil splashing around in there. Have a brain fart like a buddy of mine did and take off without putting the dip stick back in after changing the oil, what a mess!
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    I took the carb back off. It honestly looks like I never touched it. Would It be okay if I used Throttle body Cleaner to clean the carb or do I need to get some carb cleaner? Also I notice that the Choke was on full when I was crinking it, however when I turned the choke off it died. any ideas? Also, I need to get rid of some of my rust in my Gas tank. How do I do that? I Have heard of people using apple cider vinegar but I am sure there is better stuff out there.

If this doesn't work with the carb, would it be a good idea to just purchase a new one instead of rebuilding it ($ 17 for rebuild kit 27 for new carb.) Hopefully it will help some. It does look like there is some type of Inline filter on it??quesionable?? I see that they are inexpensive. I will get one if I don't have one, I don't think that is what that is. ( would the filter be about 2 inch from the gas tank on, off, reserve swich? Like a clear plastic piece? Would it be a good Idea to clean that line too? How would you clean that?

Also would it be a good Idea to take the top half of the motor off, where the valve cylinders are, and clean that Also? (Also what to use to clean it?) I need some O-rings for the carb and some hoses to run under the bike for the carb any place to get them just take a pice to a hardware store?

I am sorry this is quite a bit of questions! I really appreciate all of your comments and help it has been a great help!
    Last edited by Big-B; 08-04-2012 at 04:29 AM.

--
    Get some carb cleaner, and if you can find it at your local stores get some carb dip, its a little more agressive so strip the carb down and put all the metal parts in the dip to soak overnight. If you can't find dip get some carb cleaner, strip it down, get some small pieces of wire and go through all the holes etc. If its only running with the choke on most likely your idle circuit, the low speed jet and passages, are plugged up somewhere. What you described sounds like the filter, a clear plastic jobby between the valve and the carb. Does it have a lot of crud in it? I would take the tank off and flush it out, smack your hand on all the sides of the tank and try to rattle any loose crap out, rinse it out again with fresh fuel. As for treating it... There is lots of options. I know some guys have used The Works toilet bowl cleaner and there was just a post on here about using it, also someone posted a good soak in vinegar for a couple days as well.

What i would suggest is pull the tank and set it aside for now, get yourself a bottle and rig up a temporary gas tank to get the carb issues sorted out then go back to the tank later, one step at a time. I wouldn't tear into the top end of the motor unless there turns out to be something wrong with it. That can get spendy with gaskets and parts and time.

If any of the parts in the carb are questionable get a new carb!! I have bought a few of those chinese clones off ebay they work great, and being they are only slightly more then a rebuilt kit they are so so worth it. Its a lot easier to slap on a new carb and tune it then to mess around with a cruddy worn carb for days on end. For the o-rings and hoses you need you can get them anywhere, your local hardware or auto parts store nothing special about them.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--

New Carb and Air Filter

These are the two Items I bout for the 83 Honda 200, I believe they will be good buys. A piece was busted on the carb so I bout a new one. HONDA ATC 200E BIG RED AIR FILTER 1982-83 MOOSE M7632005(say's it's good for 83 honda 200), Carburetor Honda ATC200 ATC 200 1981 1982 1983 New Carb put them on this weekend hope and see how she runs.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //