//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: '77 Maico 440 Trike Build

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Maico View Post
    I will do my best. It may take a year as I have other projects going on.....(plus the proverbial "Honey Do" list)
    It's been over a year now so I fully expect this thing to be fully restored eating r's and puma's, cheetah shee's and anything else in between >:] lmfao no I'm joking,

Any thing more on this machine? I SERIOUSLY dig it!! There's a fella across town from me who races VMX and I've gotten to check out his Maico's. Even gotten to ride an 83 Sand Spider 490. AMAZING machines
    too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    Can't go wrong with a old Maico or CZ with those old school aluminum tanks.

The air box looks like my helmet I found out in my barn the other day. That's where I put it two and a half years ago after I crashed and broke 7 ribs. I took a pic to show my wife,but when I open the pic on the computer I was shocked to see the little guys in there. Pics don't lie,I was a bird brain for riding a 1000cc Prairie with a broken arm that day,and here is the proof.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	808.2 KB 
ID:	176377

--
    Ok....It's been awhile. Not a lot of progress but I did get the frame,triples and swingarm all powder coated. Found a really nice hand coned up pipe and silencer for it too.

I've also picked up a new air filter and Wheelsmith cage,new Magura era correct grips and levers. Found new OEM/NOS fork guts from the Netherlands and the correct Bing carb from Germany. The pics of the frame and parts look more pink in the photos...and they're a bit dusty...but they turned out reall nice. Got the color match about 99% correct. Still need to repair the rear fender and send the seat off to Mrs.Mosh for a recover. I have all new bearings/seal/gaskets for the lower end of the motor.
    "You should never smoke in pajamas..
    You might start a fire and burn your face..
    Maybe you should return to Manaugua..
    You could go un-noticed in such a place"

FZ

Ass,gas or grass....nobody rides for free!

Ride free,Brotha. See you in Heaven.

--
    Oh man you went with the Bing? Those are a PITA and finding jets is reeaaallll fun. I am gunna stick an old mikuni on my Penton. It came with a Lectron though.

Frame and all is looking REAL nice!!! Also I dig the pipe! Any clue who coned it up?

--
    I'm trying to keep it as era correct as possible...hence staying with the Bing. I've owned many mid/late '70's Maicos... 400,440 and 490...so I'm pretty used to getting the Bing jetted spot on. I can get any part for a Bing thru BingUSA. Jets are easy to find.

There's no tag on the pipe but it looks similar to a Wheelsmith.

I still need a rod kit and piston/rings for the motor.

I gotta get back to finishing my '86 KXT500 project too.
    "You should never smoke in pajamas..
    You might start a fire and burn your face..
    Maybe you should return to Manaugua..
    You could go un-noticed in such a place"

FZ

Ass,gas or grass....nobody rides for free!

Ride free,Brotha. See you in Heaven.

--
    Oh ok! That website sure would have come in handy early last year LOL

I seriously can't wait to see this beasty all squared away. I really love the Maico's just because of how raw they are. I've always wondered how the 490 would feel if you could actually control it lmao. I expect videos of this machine AND the KX500 btw lol

I got a friend who knows a site for getting Maico parts I believe. I'll try and get in touch with him and see for sure what it is. But you probably already know what it is lol

taz is offline First Time Rider Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --
    man that's all we had to do was comment to get an update

--
    I am 90% sure it was converted by Dirt "E" Werks in Flagstaff, AZ.

They did a ton of conversions in the 1980's We had a 1979 YZ400 converted by them.

Same brake set-up, same axle bearing set-up, same hubs and they build trees like that.

I have lots of info if interested.

--
    Any updates on this trike?
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //