//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Free-wheeling hub for ATC250ES

--
    What if a guy just got a spare left hub, chucked it in the lathe, turned the splines down until you could slip a sleeve bearing in, over the axle splines... Presto, instant one wheel drive for the swap meets, swap the good hub back on, back to posi....
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    I know the KLT200c I have is fun with that diff unlocked. ultra small turning radius. If you tilt it so 1 wheel is off the ground... that wheel gets alllll the power lol. Great for not tearing up the lawn. If it had reverse, it would have kicked Honda butt compared to the other 200s out there.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    If 1 wheel has the power and the oppsite free wheels, I don't think it would be an issue at walking speed with weight in the back. Off road in the dirt, or trying to drive fast would be a different story for sure. My cuz's little 125 honda quad had a hub strip out. He still rode it just fine for a week plus. The only problem he had was he got suck easy in mud lol, no problems stearing... I know three wheelers are a little bit different...

Anyway solution for the OP... either get the KLT machine that does what you need, or get a chain drive model, and put a lawn mower rear end in it. they have an open differental, just the mounting would be a pain.

--
    Radbaron
    A free wheeling hub will work fine for your application. Just because only one wheel is driving doesn't mean you wont be able to turn, has no one here ever heard of a sidecar for petes sake?? I too had a hub go on my 250 way back when, and I happily drove it around like that for some time before I managed to get a replacement hub. Steered great, traction was an issue...

You will lose traction in mud or sand, but on a hard surface you will be fine. You will need a floating hub on one axle end, which would need to be a custom build. Perhaps get the locking hub off an old 4WD and modify it to suit.

If i remember correctly the atc250es had the brake on one side of the axle, so that means your free wheeling hub will have to be at the opposite end, and that only one rear wheel will have brakes when the hub is in free wheel mode. Please be careful of the braking at speed.

Maybe you could go hi tech and get an electric sensor that locks the hub up from a remote switch or even automatically over certain speeds..... snazzy.

Or you could go to town and put a diff into it, but I suspect thats lots of $$.
    My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...lly-37510.html

Turn handle into hitch for back of trike and presto!!!!! Kind of like a hay wagon, doesn't put any weight on the towing machine.

+never mind all that gibberish, I'm an idiot. I thought a trailer was involved.+

--
    The klt's do have a locking diff on them but the way the axle mounts is totally different. They actually use a differential so the center mount swingarms the Honda's and most other Atv's use would not work. The Kawi's mount there axles on the outside edges. You would have to make a custom swing arm for it. It also IMO makes the axle stronger and less likely to bend.

kaymo is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    machining out a hub is not a viable option. the spinning hub would destroy the splines that are there on the axle.

one option would be to put one slick tire and one great tread tire. give you somewhat similar effect.

you could also rig a little wheel like a go kart wheel to pop one back wheel just off the ground, attached to a lever like an e brake handle.

honestly it just sounds like a good way to get hurt, you can say you dont need a safety lecture but if someone says that and then reaches for a live electrical wire im still going to say something

if you can haul a big red you could build a little folding trailer to put your couch on. then you get to spray your riders with mud too. win win

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //