//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: YTM 200 & 225 modifications upgrades - some things I've done to my 225 dx

--

YTM 200 & 225 modifications upgrades - some things I've done to my 225 dx

I'm starting this thread to share with everyone some of things I've done to to my 225 DX. I've had it a little over 2 years and have made several changes to it. I think its neat how so many parts interchange between different models of Yamaha 3 and 4 wheelers. Here is a list of things i've done:
    Complete Timberwolf 250 engine swap (Noticeable increase in power. Bolted right in. Only thing is the bigger Timberwolf u joint yoke has to be sapped out for the smaller YTM style. The timberwolf yoke wont fit in the a arm.
    Blaster rear rims hubs and tires (These are alot wider than stock and makes for better handling. The hubs go right on the stock 225 axle splines. Very worth wile upgrade.)
    YTM 200 rear axle shaft (Thicker and has much bigger threaded ends for the hub nuts that wont strip out as easy as the stock ones will. Slides right into the stock 225 rear end.)
    YTM 200 front end (I swapped the front end with a YTM 200 to get the wider and taller front tire. Makes it easier to climb over logs and stuff. Still handles very good to. The 225 headlight assembly swapped right over the the 200 front end.)
    Moto 4 200 handle bars (I got the handle bars and rubber cover off a Moto 4 200 with the solid rear suspension. They have a much more comfortable angle for riding and the rubber cover adds a nice touch. It covers up the handle bar mount as it says Yamaha in the center.)
    Thats about all I can think of at the moment. Let me know what you all think. If anyone else knows other cool mods or upgrades please post them in this thread.

--
    Thats pretty cool. I don't have my DR anymore but i wondered if any other yamaha motors bolted in. Thanks for the tips

--
    We have been working on our 225DX for a couple years too. Getting ready for fresh powdercoat and plastics next.

Ours is a little bit more sport oriented. So far we have added a +3 swingarm, YFZ450SE rear shock, TRI-Z front-end, G-Force +2 banshee hubs, 9" wheels on rear and CST Ambush tires all around. Before tear down I intend to add YFZ foot pegs and hydraulic rear caliper to match the front.

2007 YAMAHA YTZ450 went to a great home RIP Sam

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Adams View Post
    We have been working on our 225DX for a couple years too. Getting ready for fresh powdercoat and plastics next.

Ours is a little bit more sport oriented. So far we have added a +3 swingarm, YFZ450SE rear shock, TRI-Z front-end, G-Force +2 banshee hubs, 9" wheels on rear and CST Ambush tires all around. Before tear down I intend to add YFZ foot pegs and hydraulic rear caliper to match the front.

i was hoping this beast would show up here. as soon as i read the first post i was thinkin about this trike. i'd love to see some closer pics and maybe a write up on how you did the +3 swinger. thanks for posting the pic!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by trizilla View Post
    i'd love to see some closer pics and maybe a write up on how you did the +3 swinger. thanks for posting the pic!
    Same here. I have a 225DX that I just can't stand the bouncy tires on. Would love to read and see more of this conversion.

Big Mike is offline Part time collector of phallic shaped objects. Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Ok since the Polaris P3 shares the same front end as a 225 DX, I want to know nmore about these front end swaps. Was the YTM 200 and tri-z swaps bolt ons? I mean any machine work needed. Also did either increase front height, as that is one of my biggest complaints with the Polaris P3. Thanks in advance guys.
    Currently Own:
    1985 ATC 250sx
    1986 ATC 350x
    1986 Polaris Scrambler 250R/ES (P3)

Projects/Parts machines:
    1980 ATC 185S

My Feedback Thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/124667-Feedback-for-Big-Mike?highlight=Feedback+for+Big+Mike

--
    I'll do a write up on mine when I get time. Don't want to highjack this thread anyhow.
    TRI-Z front end does raise the ride height. I'm still working through that swap now. Its just setting on there in the pic. Swapping stems, looks pretty straight forward.

--
    The YTM 200 front end bolted right up and increased the ride height some. That is one of the main reasons I went with it.

--
    I believe the YTM 200 front end has less travel than the DX one. Also, Matticus, when you say you swapped the axle from a ytm 200, you mean the shaft drive "yamahauler" model, as the regular 200 was chain drive. The yamahauler model would also have the 25inch tires all around I believe. I have seen someone on the boards (cant remember who did it) put a 1st gen 200x front end on their DX. It looked like a clean swap, and would be a lot cheaper and plentiful than the tri z front end in the long run, but maybe not quite as good, but close. I have always thought the front end was the weakest point on the DX (forks are just junk). Matticus, lets see some pics of your beast!
    THE 80's RAGE! Currently owns:
    81, 85 Yamaha Tri Moto 125
    83 Yamaha Tri Moto 200 x2
    82,83 Yamaha Tri Moto 175 project
    85 Yamaha Tri Z 250
    84 Kawasaki Tecate 250
    84 Honda ATC 70
    85 Honda ATC 350X
    84 Honda ATC 250R
    (2) 84 Honda ATC 200x
    82, 83 Honda ATC 185s
    81 ATC 200
    Lots of other parts and bikes

--
    If you want a little more power take your intake off and measure the intake port of the cylinder, the carb and both ends of the intake manifold. If the intake is off a DR I suspect the engine side of the intake manifold is a lot smaller than the carb and the head. It can be opened up easily, but don't go overboard or it will crack later.

--
    Here are some pics of my 84 225 DX. Its still needs alot of work. After I repair the cracks in the rear plastic I'm going to put the mud flaps back on. I also need to reinstall brake levers and cables. I've got a rack off a 200 Yamahauler that I'm gonna install later on. I really like the way these bikes look with those racks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC1660.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	155570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC1661.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	155571
    Here is a couple pics of the Moto 4 handle bars and the mount cover. These bars are really good cheap replacements if your not a fan of the stock ones.

Name:	GEDC1662.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	155572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC1663.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	155573
    Here is a couple pics of the YTM 200 front end. The bigger front tires really helps in rough uneven terrain. Also helps absorb bumps better than the stock tire.

Name:	GEDC1664.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	155574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC1665.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	155575
    Here is a couple pics of the Blaster tires and YTM 200 Yamahauler axle shaft. The main reason I went with the thicker yamahauler shaft was because both ends of the stock 225 shaft stripped out when I reinstalled the hubs after I replaced the worn out axle bearings. The threaded ends on the 200 shaft are really beefy and less prone to stripping out.

Name:	GEDC1666.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	155576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC1667.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	155577
    Here is a pic of the Timberwolf 250 engine. I like the unpainted aluminum look over the original black engines. I glass bead blasted my exhaust and painted it blue with header paint. Its holding up nicely.

Name:	GEDC1668.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	155578

--
    That thing is nice!

--
    Thanks man!

--
    where's the reverse shifter?

Husky250 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    LOVE this thread. We have an 85 dx with a HORRIBLE clutch but still LOVE riding the thing. Always thought If you couldfigure out how to upgrade the suspension you could FLY in the woods. I already have a spare 200x front end sitting around. You gentlemen have given me food for thought!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //