//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 5th annual Battle at the Barn Coke Syrup on Concrete Oval Races Jan 25/26 Des Moines

--

Main Event Vids

OK, here are the last vids I have. Two from the Main event, one from the side and one with a helmet cam.
    Side View from a cheapo hand held point and shoot camera in video mode
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_W9K...Ms9q3A&index=2

Helmet Cam View of Main event winner Fast Eddie on his 86 Tri Z
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y52V6...Ms9q3A&index=1
    No Need for Brakes, When in Doubt, GAS IT!

--
    Cool little guy racing. He had to race with the quads but he did pretty good in the upper 1/2 of the pack. I didn't get his name but I think he raced last year on a yellow one.

--

Cleaning those tires

This kind of racing is crazy on tire cleaning. You want to remove any of the rubber and or coke syrup from your races and so you are always cleaning them. With 4 practices, 2 heat races and 1 main event its a ton of work. Glad I was just the camera man

Mike Cook #23 on left and Eddie Bergman #7 on right

--
    Here is #14 Adam Streeter from Walker Iowa. This was his first time racing a 3 Wheeler and only about the 6th time he ever rode one. He has raced quads before on the coke sryup but it isn't the same as doing it on a 3 Wheeler. He did real good and only crashed once

--

Quads with Kart Tires

Even the quads are starting to use Go Kart tires and wheels. Here are some of the cool kids quads that did well with them.

--
    3 Wheelers in the staging lanes

--
    And the winner gets a nice Plaque and $300 for winning

And Mike Cook got $75 for 4th. Money always make beer taste better

--

The Winning Machines Rear Axle

For many years we have used the Missile Go Kart adapter hubs for running kart tires and wheels but the old Trophy brand 2 piece wheel 1/2s are really hard to find anymore. All the new kart wheels have a tiny bolt pattern and use 1 piece wheels made by Douglas just like ourATV's use only in a 6" diameter. A few years ago I bought a newer kart wheel hub and Eddie Bergman and I talked about using a kart axle on a 3 Wheeler and making a different swing arm and all kinds of idea's. Well Eddie got to looking around and did some measuring and the little stinker found a hollow kart axle that has a 1 1/4" OD. It cost less than $50 and he took his stock Tri Z axle and has the OD of it machined down to fit the ID of the kart axle. They left a squared off edge so the two axles would butt up against each other and then plug welded the kart axle to the Tri Z axle in a few spots to prevent rotation. He cut the kart axle making the right side wider than the left since width to the right is needed in these sticky ovals. Next he found some wider hubs that used a long keyway and a pair only cost about $50. Since a clutch is involved he didn't want to sheer off the hub and key on a standard kart hub. Now he can use all the new modern wheels and can slide his width all over the place to dial the machine in. The machine work cost $140 and the axle and hubs less than another $100 so for under $250 he has a super trick axle for this kind of racing. Too bad we didn't have those kind of kart parts available 20+ years ago Check it out. Looks really nice. Eddie's been a dealer mechanic for 30+ years so he's no dummy.

--
    I had this one last video of a crash in the main event that involved #69 Mike Moore coming from the back row and climbing his Dad (outlaw24) rear tire and flipping over. This was one of the three restarts for that main event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hviML...Ms9q3A&index=1

--
    Blog Entries
    WoW Truly Awesome stuff!!!!! love it!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by radrandy2001 View Post
    Here is a pic of that 69 1/2 year old racer Jerry Crabb

Jerry Crabb is quite the racer. He has raced Cycles, 3 Wheelers, 4 Wheelers and even Sprint Cars. At this years event he pulled out this old mean machine and he told me it was a handful. The heavy XR600 engine was too powerful for the crazy traction the track had and that it would have worked better on dirt where it would have broke loose a little instead of trying to yank his arms off. In practice he got tangled up with #69 Mike Moore and after one more practice session he decided at age 69 1/2 that he couldn't take the chance of getting hurt again so pulled out of the race. He offered the machine for a others to race but there were no takers. Eric Moore's wife Connie told me Jerry's machine was Evil

Check this out. Both machines tipping and both riders bodies touching. Luckily they both came back down and no one was hurt. That concrete floor is not forgiving and could really bust you up if you landed wrong. Just how many of you would be doing something like this at all let alone at almost 70 years of age. My hats off to Jerry Crabb !!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by radrandy2001 View Post
    For many years we have used the Missile Go Kart adapter hubs for running kart tires and wheels but the old Trophy brand 2 piece wheel 1/2s are really hard to find anymore. All the new kart wheels have a tiny bolt pattern and use 1 piece wheels made by Douglas just like ourATV's use only in a 6" diameter. A few years ago I bought a newer kart wheel hub and Eddie Bergman and I talked about using a kart axle on a 3 Wheeler and making a different swing arm and all kinds of idea's. Well Eddie got to looking around and did some measuring and the little stinker found a hollow kart axle that has a 1 1/4" OD. It cost less than $50 and he took his stock Tri Z axle and has the OD of it machined down to fit the ID of the kart axle. They left a squared off edge so the two axles would butt up against each other and then plug welded the kart axle to the Tri Z axle in a few spots to prevent rotation. He cut the kart axle making the right side wider than the left since width to the right is needed in these sticky ovals. Next he found some wider hubs that used a long keyway and a pair only cost about $50. Since a clutch is involved he didn't want to sheer off the hub and key on a standard kart hub. Now he can use all the new modern wheels and can slide his width all over the place to dial the machine in. The machine work cost $140 and the axle and hubs less than another $100 so for under $250 he has a super trick axle for this kind of racing. Too bad we didn't have those kind of kart parts available 20+ years ago Check it out. Looks really nice. Eddie's been a dealer mechanic for 30+ years so he's no dummy.

Randy, this is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while. Do you happen to know the id" of the axle? The reason I ask is I would love to try this on a Tecate Axle, with Eddies blessings of course, but It has a pretty large taper to it. I found an axle the same 1 1/4" as this for $34. http://www.bmikarts.com/1-14-Tubular...xle_p_515.html

The use of the modern wheels with the ability to adjust width is a pretty sweet option. Hell you could do a couple stock axles with varying widths for several applications. Please pass my kudos along to Eddie for the nice work.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Randy, this is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while. Do you happen to know the id" of the axle? The reason I ask is I would love to try this on a Tecate Axle, with Eddies blessings of course, but It has a pretty large taper to it. I found an axle the same 1 1/4" as this for $34. http://www.bmikarts.com/1-14-Tubular...xle_p_515.html

The use of the modern wheels with the ability to adjust width is a pretty sweet option. Hell you could do a couple stock axles with varying widths for several applications. Please pass my kudos along to Eddie for the nice work.
    Eddie got the axle here http://www.out2win.com/catalog/axleus.html#125 and its the cheapest hollow one on the page $44.
    http://www.out2win.com/catalog/axleus.html#125

The Hubs were from the same place, The Buller Rear Hub Long for 1 1/4" and American Boly Pattern $28 each.
    http://www.out2win.com/catalog/wheelhubsR.html

I'll tell Eddie you liked it.
    Randy

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //