//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: How to reproduce parts.

--
    damn you made fast work of that stuff!! it looks great! noob question just say you had enough stuff could something as large as a rear fender be made or it cant be done?
    73 atc 70
    84 ytm 200ern
    79 atc 70
    ytm 225 dr
    atc 90
    80 atc 110
    klt 250A
    84 atc 200es
    85 atc 250es

gone but not forgotten restored 82 atc 70

--

Speaking of boo-boo's :)

The red/white number plate was my fine example of a idea that didn't quite turn out too my liking.
    Since it was one of the first from a new mold,,,, I keep it for re-making a new mold.
    Speaking of new molds. I get to start the claying process ALL over on the new nbe plate mold ,,,, thought I could do it this way but heck no,,,, parting lines on the sides would look terrible.
    At least all I am out is time,,,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180131_071250.jpg   20180131_071234.jpg  

--
    Well you tried and you know how to fix it john so thats a good thing.
    I couldn’t tell you how many times i started over on this mold, i would get so far into it and realize yup thats not going to work. Even after i started pouring the mold itself i gave it a 50/50 shot.
    Wife got me a pressure chamber for x-mas (paint pot) 2.5 gallon, of course this mold is 16”x 12”x11” and weighs about 30lbs(guessing). She’s not not fitting in there(no/way), i may need to upgrade....but so far so good

Jakep53- i think this is the largest i would ever attempt/ and this size is pushing the limits i think.
    Maybe a 350x rear mudflap/ no nevermind..

Shep

--
    Ok well i ordered and recieved 2-gallons this time of a different mixture from Alumilite (shipping price was great)! $7.50 thanks john.
    The other mix i had i could demold in 20mins or so which i liked but firmed up in 2mins from mix to pour (not enough time)
    this new mix gives me about 6mins to pour into mold once it get mixed so i have time to vacume chamber it first
    But demold time is close to 6hrs☹️ But thats ok considering this result
    The shell is/was still soft at the time i demolded it a couple hours ago but seems nice and firm with just a little flex now which is the result i wanted.
    This new “red” shell came out of the mold perfect/ no clean up on this yet and not much needed, nice glossy finish too/ solid with no air bubbles anywhere- yay!!! So i found a new mix i’m using for these shells,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D0C29FC9-ACE7-46A0-ADC4-F7F523310878.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	250787 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	421C54BD-7D76-4059-85D6-DA9E653292B7.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	250788
    Thanks for looking,
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 03-01-2018 at 10:27 PM.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    That's truly impressive Shep! Glamy's so proud right now!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Glamy’s been awful quiet lately....
    i tell you though you guys with extra time on your hands should look into picking up this hobby- lots of notes and #’s it keeps your head spinning (of course breathing some of the fumes maybe part of that).....ha....

Shep

--
    Looks like a home run Shep! The red looks spot-on this time around. Great work.

--
    Shep that’s great! I bet 350x shells would be a big seller. (Hint hint)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    Even when it comes to group buys, for a product a vendor already does and won't produce without a minimum order. You don't always need to be the Mad Scientist, you can be the Rep or a simple funding support Consumer. The level of hands on approach the members here have taken is no doubt Top honors to what drives this Community. The small production high value items, lead the road to the what else can I do, which is the bonus. I'm a CONSUMER, I have many members items; some of whom I missed the opportunity to thank with a handshake. I value each of them at more than the price I paid. The opportunity to get most of these items comes around very rarely. So support those who take the time buy their products, as a good member with understanding, and patiences to the time and preinvestment taken. At the end of the build when it's all done, these are the parts that make it just that more personal with extra value. Just think how rare the items are now...don't be the guy that puts off getting on board there may not be another run.

--
    Great job Shep. The 86 250r headlight shell would be very cool to have repopped. I just don't like the maier shells.

--
    Hi Shep & Jeswinehart

Cool thread. I think its great that someone has take up the cause to make reproduction parts for 3 wheelers. I have a few questions for you guys. What type of plastic resin do you use for making your parts and is it comparable to the oem or maier plastics for deflection, stiffness or hardness and also the fit? I know the fit/finish has a large dependency on the original casting part you have to work with i.e. if the part was just out of the box new or old and worn/cracked up. I was wondering if you have a favourite brand of mold & liquid plastic making materials/company product line. I would like to reproduce some rubber or plastic motor/anti vibration mounts for some of my hi-performance go carts because the ones I use seem to get shredded very quickly.
    I can't wait to see the 86 atc250r shell.

Thanks,
    350XMAN
    No- Point in standing around and just watching! Get out and ride!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350xman View Post
    Hi Shep & Jeswinehart

Cool thread. I think its great that someone has take up the cause to make reproduction parts for 3 wheelers. I have a few questions for you guys. What type of plastic resin do you use for making your parts and is it comparable to the oem or maier plastics for deflection, stiffness or hardness and also the fit? I know the fit/finish has a large dependency on the original casting part you have to work with i.e. if the part was just out of the box new or old and worn/cracked up. I was wondering if you have a favourite brand of mold & liquid plastic making materials/company product line. I would like to reproduce some rubber or plastic motor/anti vibration mounts for some of my hi-performance go carts because the ones I use seem to get shredded very quickly.
    I can't wait to see the 86 atc250r shell.

Thanks,
    350XMAN
    For making a mold out of anything oem jap rubber you will need to use a tin cureold rubber. Anything hard plastic / metal you want to copy you can use either a tin cure or platinum cure mold rubber.
    For darn near all our plastic parts we use BJB's TC-878.
    Rubber parts mostly Alumilte flex series rubber.
    Some of the rubber parts we make requires a much more higher performance, non memory rubber and we get it from Smooth On.
    I think wife + I have like 5 different company's we order from,,, depends on which one of the 25+ different parts we make.
    I beleive my opening post thread names sevral

--
    Wow that 200x headlight shell turned out real nice!!!. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me what type of different alumilite product you used this last time to create the shell.
    "Ok well i ordered and recieved 2-gallons this time of a different mixture from Alumilite (shipping price was great)! $7.50 thanks john. "

I have an 86 cr80r that I would like to reproduce the lefthand seat side number plate and was curious what the new/different alumilite mixture/resin name is? Now the resin dye that you are using to color the part is it an alumilite product # or is it from smooth on# or your own creation/dilution?
    Is this alumilite resin plastic as flexible as oem plastic or about the same. I d like something fairly durable so when the kid wipes out on the bike again it can take a bit of use without breaking or cracking up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    350xman

--
    Hi Jeswinehart

Thanks for the reply. I was checking out all those websites and alot of info on trying to pick out the correct mold making material for a persons application and same with picking a plastic or rubber resin to cast. Hopefully, their brochures will give more info/insight into the correct product for your applications.

Thanks
    350xman

--
    Can you post up a front/back picture of that number plate Xman ?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //