//ArrowChat Code
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: How to reproduce parts.

--
    I can post it next weekend because I would have to go back to my parents farm to get pics of the bike because thats where i store it, but I might be able to find some other pics of the front shot of the # plate and post them.
    No- Point in standing around and just watching! Get out and ride!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350xman View Post
    Wow that 200x headlight shell turned out real nice!!!. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me what type of different alumilite product you used this last time to create the shell.
    "Ok well i ordered and recieved 2-gallons this time of a different mixture from Alumilite (shipping price was great)! $7.50 thanks john. "

I have an 86 cr80r that I would like to reproduce the lefthand seat side number plate and was curious what the new/different alumilite mixture/resin name is? Now the resin dye that you are using to color the part is it an alumilite product # or is it from smooth on# or your own creation/dilution?
    Is this alumilite resin plastic as flexible as oem plastic or about the same. I d like something fairly durable so when the kid wipes out on the bike again it can take a bit of use without breaking or cracking up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    350xman
    The alumilite product i’m using is the performance 65D. I’ve got “mostly” alumilite pigments but some other pigments from other companies as well. To compare it- it feels just like oem but i’d say stronger, close to the same flex also. I beefed up certain areas when i made my mold where honda’s were weak/ like the adjustment hole on bottom on these shells its just a tad thicker. I’ve done 4- shells one right after the other with no issues using the 65D so im happy
    Still have to clean them up but: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49E36187-0793-4B87-AAB4-6F8D1E5FCC4C.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	250830 its going good

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 03-03-2018 at 11:55 PM.

--
    Awesome job Shep. Are you planning to sell them here or are you just going to hoard them?...lol.
    Real men ride trikes!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shindig View Post
    Awesome job Shep. Are you planning to sell them here or are you just going to hoard them?...lol.
    Hoard em’—- kidding,
    working fulltime and trying to produce a few of these maybe out of my league (well
    Maybe) I’m trying, i just don’t want to sell junk i’d like these to last. The new mix 65d mix “may” not be what i’m looking for/ made this black one on monday and tried to buff the top just a touch and found these very tiny air bubbles just under the surface Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3407323D-73E6-41DC-9E21-635DC56129C9.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	250894 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C3B290C-3F7D-4637-859B-C29B5688D592.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	250895butcouldn’t see them until i hit it with 1500 grit paper. I can’t sell them that way (I need to get it right) or very close to it. It could be just the black shell it happened to though and it was something i did different....
    The first batch with other mix the only real problem was two or three small air bubbles just on the very back edges “but” was solid color everywhere else and could be polished up easily. (Could’nt see them when installed but bothered me anyway)
    I may go back to the original mix i had i’m not sure yet (I’m working on getting them right) i just need to pour them with no family around because it all happens very quick.
    Sorry just venting- but yes shindig
    “Everythings for sale”.... i’m just trying to get better results. Wife says there perfect i’m just being anal...
    I will offer them here when there ready, i may ebay a nice one just out of curiosity next wk, not sure yet though (i’m a buyer not a seller)-ha.
    Still have to figure out swineharts favorite color so i can send him one...

Shep

--
    "Still have to figure out swineharts favorite color so i can send him one..." ~ LOL !!!
    My favorite color would be the one you like the least, the one you say oh heck NO too. That's the one I will tag as sheps early work and proudly place in our personnel display case or our and others reproduction works.
    No need to mail, we will hook up at TF2018 Shep.
    Have you tried tc 878 for those ?

--
    Yes, tc-878 i tried it seems the longer i let the product cure the more trapped air i get and without a pressure chamber large enough yet im getting air bubbles forming.
    The quick setting mix worked the best but roughly 2-1/2 mins goes by quick as im sure you know. Actually its probably 1-1/2 mins the viscosity changes so fast - i need it very fluid to fill the mold.

I “think” an easy cure would be tc-878 and a pressure chamber large enough but they get costly pretty quick.
    Keeping my eye out for a larger one.

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 03-09-2018 at 09:45 PM.

--
    HI Shep

So, when you mix in the dye/dyes into 65D how many drops would you have to use for your headlight shell? Is it a certain weight ratio of dye to 65D or do you just add x-amount of drops into your resign by trail and error until you get the right color?
    Because your red headlight shells came out very nice and glossy/shinny with 65D. Did you have a chance to sand the red shells yet and if so did it produce or show any air bubbles just below the surface? Do different colored dyes mix differently and or produce more air bubbles from your experience? Sorry, to ask you guys so many questions but this is interesting stuff/man soap opera(as my wife puts it) for me being an mechanical engineer. I think this "Mad Scientist" reproduction part stuff is cool. Keep it up.
    350xman

--
    350xman, I found it mostly by trial and error but write it down each time/ its only a couple drops but its easy to have bigger drops than others.
    No the dyes have nothing to do with bubbles, u cant use more then 5% dye or it would/could throw off the mix ratios.
    I have learned not to get dye’s on ebay because they could have sat around a while/ get them from a supplier directly.

Nope i havent touched any shells since earlier in the week/we had a snow storm the other night and we are still without power!!!!! Its not fun/ lights actually flickered earlier so maybe thats a good sign.

I’m just a recent beginner in this and learning as i go/ kind of a hands on kinda hobby i’ve got a lot to learn myself still.....
    Oh the tiny bubbles on the black shell could probably be sanded out/and buffed to a shine but no time or patiance for that.
    Like say the bubbles are on the second/third layer in out of ten layers if that makes sence, they dont go all the way through.
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 03-10-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

--
    Yeah, wish I had a much larger pressure pot too. I'm using a modified paint spray paint canister,,, like 5 gallon I think size wise, from harbor freight.
    How about the baby powder trick,,, try it yet ?
    You wouldn't want to powder the "show" side as it would leave surface a satin finnish.
    I use baby powder in the roto mold machine molds for coolant bottles,,, it gives the tc 878 a nice nylon effect as well helping with bubble dispersion.
    If I didn't use it these bottles would be gloss finnish look for sure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171128_190138.jpg   20170704_211058.jpg  

--
    Actually did try the baby powder (i remembered you talked about it before) but i powdered the inner and outer mold it (was a mess) now that i think about it it was possibly this black shell, hmmmm crud it was late sunday or early monday. But thankyou that is something i did different so maybe....Now u got me thinking and it is tiny white spots too, i didnt have a fine brush to dust it out so i just knocked it around maybe i missed a clump and it mixed in.
    (Those coolant bottles look great!!)
    Shep

--
    We used to use a fine bristled paint brish but I found a old fashion shaving cream brush,,, the round fine haired ones at a yard sale so that's what we now use. It moves the powd around well with out screwing up mold release (streaking I call it).
    We knock out excess and use compressed air to blow rest out,,, barely looks like you put the powder in there

--
    Hi Guys

Just was thinking the other day about how you guys preserved your oem decals on any of the parts you mold from. What/how did you protect/preserve your oem decals when you molded from your oem parts?

350xman

--
    Well for me all decals come off or they would outline in the mold material.
    I have added "U.S.A." to many of our parts simply by using a lable making machine. Put the lable where I want it and pour mold rubber ~ poof,,, it's in the mold.
    IT is always best to use the best of the best pattern peice (part you are wanting to reproduce) because your mold will show any perfections.
    I have said in the past that if your pattern peice has 2 scratch and a smiley face,,, your mold will have the same and any parts pulled from it will have exact same.
    I am doing a mold rubber pour tonight for new tecate intake boots. When I had 2 new in the bag intakes sent to me I made "masters" of them since I was sure I would never ever see brand new 84/85 + 86/87 Kawasaki intake boot's again.
    The other round part you see clay ed up is for Yamaha Tri-z,,, rear bearing dust seal that is no longer availabe. Only needed if guys want to use O.E.M. bearings (why would you want after market bearings when oem are availabe,,, they are the best imo).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180312_203836.jpg  

--
    Hi Shep & Jeswinehart

I ordered a small starter kit from smooth on to try make the cr80 back plastic plate if my deal falls through with a guy that is a big time honda collector of all types of bikes,atv,atc and he has a ton of NOS OEM parts that he has stock piled years ago. So, if this deal doesn't pan out I will then try make the back plastic plate. But I was curious what color pigments you used in your honda atc passion red color scheme for your plastic resin mixture? I understand if you don't want to give out your exact honda atc red color recipe but if you could/would let me know what color pigment you use in the recipe that would be awesome(i.e. used alumilite flo red, white, black, brown color pigments in mixture etc?)
    Thank you.

350xman

--
    Well for me its a bit of trial and error largely depending on what the resin being used cures out to be,,, if not colored.
    If it cures out white (uncolored) you hafta factor that in with colorant (which is a to do imo).
    When ever possible I use a material that is suitable for the project and if it cures clear or at least a translucent ~ BONUS.
    I wish all resins cured clear,,, oh that would make it so much easier.
    The Mrs. and I are so used to using BJB's TC-878 resin for many of our parts because it has the property's and cures out clear so for us it is easier to color.
    Unless a dark color is needed we almost aways need to add a drop or 2 of white for a base, then add what ever color needed.
    Tecate green takes flo-green with a dash of yellow. Honda red takes red with a dash of orange. The Mrs. is much better at the colors then I am so I ask her help a lot when doing something I am not accustom to like Yamaha royal blue.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //