//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Next Speedo Restoration...

--

Roller I spoke about

Kb, I did dig that roller out and tried the idea I had about using it to roll the edge of crimp ring.
    Pictured is a before shot of a speedo I "hand" crimped then I run it thru the rollers tightening down a little with each pass and it definitely made a much better crimp.
    It even took out much of the waviness from undoing the crimp to remove the ring.
    I am sure I did not roll this ring flat before re-installing so it had the pry type of crinkles in it when I "hand" crimped back in place.
    So, yeah,,, using something of this nature to smooth out ring after removal (like one I sent that was run thru this machine) and careful manipulation (and a helper to crank device) it will IMO do a very fine ,, near factory job.
    And like I suspected a coating of rubber on the rollers for canister/ring protection would be the correct thing to do.
    Also for grins + giggles a picture of the face plate on this speedo. It is a KPH speedo with a dial I had hand painted by local artist. odometer portion still clicked of KPS but the speed part was quite accurate when dive buddy Amy used it and we rode side beside on our Bigreds and could do a comparison of speeds.
    I have long since upgraded her trike to a true MPH unit.
    *yes, my picture detail stinks!*

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crimp 1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	159404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crimp 2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	159405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crimp 3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	159406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crimp 4.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	159407

--
    Nice! I know someone with one of those rollers i might play around with the dinged up ring i just removed, what better to play with and learn on then one thats already pretty trashed.

The KPH dial is a lot different spacing wise then the MPH dial, first one i have seen actually!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    yeah if they have the whole kit then there are several sets of the roller dies. Each do a little something different but basically for what I just used it for (the "crimping") then end is all that is needed. I took the 2 bolts that hold the dies in place and relied on the set screw in each one to hold in place.
    You get it figured out as to what you may need rubber coated (if your guy will let you of course) and I would be delighted to "encapsulate" them for you just.
    Nice work Kb ! Defintly a unique + interesting posting. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

--
    that is some very nice work. i would have never imagined how nice it could look

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Earl View Post
    that is some very nice work. i would have never imagined how nice it could look
    Well credit to you for making it available to me! I fixed it up and found a nice mounting bracket and the drive gear for it, its going to be a Christmas present for a fellow triker, i sold it to his dad for what i bought it for, no profit, just passing it on fixed. Its going on a 200 that is being fixed up just in time for Christmas. Hoping i can get over and get some pictures of the final project once its done and ready for reveal.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Do you ever sell these?

--
    Sometimes... I don't always get one to sell. Most of the time i get one to work on it from the owner and it goes back to them. This is the rare case where i have been looking around to buy one and found this one, but i already had someone on a waiting list to get it from me... LOL

They are not easy to come by.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Lazarus thread. Sorry. Anyone selling these crimp rings? Chrome or otherwise? Swinehart??
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80
    84 z50

--
    Nope. I did make dies for the inner "defuser" as I call the inner part below the glass.
    Not for honda speedo's or tach but for my tachs I was making some years back. Same thing just different size.
    It would not be hard to turn large round stock into dies to press new crimp bezles. I have no interest to make by the way

--
    Super old thread... Do you guys know where I can buy the repro trip reset knob? Mine is broken off.

Going to do the repair that's described here. Great work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8730.jpg  

Honda
    86 350X - Full Restomod
    85 250R - Next for Frame Up
    85 Big Red - Clean Original

--
    I sent replies to your PM's...

Sadly jeswinehart the man behind the mastery of reproduction of these knobs is no longer with us...
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Just got your PM. So so sorry to hear about jeswinehart I lost both my parents to that awful disease.

Honda
    86 350X - Full Restomod
    85 250R - Next for Frame Up
    85 Big Red - Clean Original

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //