//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1985 atc200x kick starter frozen

--

Unhappy 1985 atc200x kick starter frozen

well, i just picked up an 85 200x yesterday when i first got there to see it, it ran really good, and i test rode it around the block a few times and pretty much decided at that point that i wanted it, it looks really good and supposedly has been rebuilt top and bottom end not too long ago. i was having trouble kick starting it though, every time i tryed to start it it kept seeming like the gears in the kicker were skipping or something, but when the guy that sold it to me tryed it he could start it up just fine. finally after trying a few more times the kick starter froze and we jiggled it a few times rolled it back and forth and it worked again for a few kicks and now its froze again. i dont think the engine is locked up it seems to me like maybe a tooth on the kicker gears broke and bound it up or something but im having trouble finding any information on fixing it. i had a quote at 200 to fix it at a local shop but thats without them actually seeing it yet. i was wondering if that seems reasonable, and also i was thinking if theres a relatively easy way to just convert it to electric start or pull start that would make it so much easier to deal with as the last trike i had was pull start and i had to work on that a few times. so any suggestions or ideas are welcome, and glad to finally be on 3ww

--
    I can tell you that at the current rate a shop charges it won't be 200 dollars. Let's assume the shop charges 70.00 per hour. They will have to take the motor all the way down (split the cases) to get at the kicker gears and possibly install a new set plus springs (its what I would do). I am guessing it will take the mechanic 5-10 hours (breakdown / Fix / Reassembly). Plus parts (gears, springs, gaskets) and tax, I bet you are looking more like 750-850 bucks to get the kicker working correctly again.

Another option: Since you are in Deltona Florida I would recommend giving Shortline10 a private message and see what he would charge to rebuild it as he is located in Davie Florida. Very reasonable guy and really knows his 200x's.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    My labor for that job is around 200.00 plus parts . I have new kicker gears in stock .....
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    My labor for that job is around 200.00 plus parts . I have new kicker gears in stock .....
    There ya go...Shortline just saved you a bunch of money. Tis why I love this site!

--
    actually thats like three and a half hours from here... might be a little too far for me since im having to borrow trucks right now just to get it anywhere untill i get my trailer back in working order to pull it behind my jeep, but if you have everything i need to fix it how much would you charge for just the parts shipped, and what all would it include? just wondering thanks for the help so far tho guys

--
    oh and still if anyone knows if theres an easy way to convert to electric or pull start, unless theres a way to really beef up the kicker so i dont have to worry about it breaking again right after i do get it fixed

--
    If you want to go with an electric start you will need to keep your eyes peeled for a 200x Goki started on ebay or craigslist. There isn't a pullstart application for a 200x motor...unless you swapped for a 200s motor.

--
    thats what i was afraid you would say, i just would hate to swap the motor out since i was just rebuilt not to long ago. although i even was looking into a lifan 200 motor that says it fits an xr200 so i should work except for the rear kick but it does have electric start and that would be cheaper than 750-800 u were talking about earlier...idk not having the honda 200x motor in it would be kinda weird too

--
    You can ship the motor to me for pretty cheap if sent parcel post prob about 40 bucks one way . I can do the kicker repair for about 400.00 thats leaving 200.00 for parts not knowing if their are any unexpected issues inside either .
    If your interested send me a pm and i'll send you my phone #

Quote Originally Posted by 96xjon35s View Post
    thats what i was afraid you would say, i just would hate to swap the motor out since i was just rebuilt not to long ago. although i even was looking into a lifan 200 motor that says it fits an xr200 so i should work except for the rear kick but it does have electric start and that would be cheaper than 750-800 u were talking about earlier...idk not having the honda 200x motor in it would be kinda weird too
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    well i sent it to the local shop just to have them look at it first, well see what they say and i guess ill go from there. before i dropped it off tho i got the kicker to free up again and tryed kicking it a few times and then i sounded like it was slipping again and then locked up, so atleast i know its not the motor being locked up and just the kicker. i was also going to have them check to see if the clutch was adjusted properly because when i was messing with it, it just didnt feel right like maybe it was fully disengaging while i had the handle all the way pulled in

--
    wasnt fully disengaing *

shovelryder is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I broke my foot yrs ago when my 200x skipped gears and my foot smacked square on the floor........HURT!!!!!

--
    that does sound painful.

but, the shop i took it too told me to get it running right would require tearing the motor completely apart and it would be cheaper just to buy another 200x motor and swap it in. the only thing im afraid of is having the same problem with the kicker gears giving out but they said they would guarantee that it would be a good working motor so im not sure if its worth putting another one in or just swapping for a different style motor all together. im pretty sure a 200s engine will work but probably wont be nearly as fast. this stinks i bought this thing thinking i wouldnt have to do any work to it when i first saw it and then this whole thing happened.

--
    Send it to Mike (shortline10). I would hate to see a perfectly good 200x motor go to waste.

--
    Hey I have a 200M motor that i got and put that into my 84 200x. Direct bolt in.. Man is it fun and quick. I'm not sure if stock if its quicker but you can always regear it for speed. I'm also not sure its top speed sense i have only driven on ice. With a bad sprocket it was faster then the 200m in my other frame.. (did 46mph) if that tells you anything. If you want just a recoil get a 200s, if you want a starter and recoil get a 200M motor. You'll have to dimple the frame where the starter fits in.

If you find a cheap one I say buy it. I've never had a 200x motor so I can't say which is faster but my 200m is pretty quick on it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //