//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My 350x rebuild with pictures Whiskey Throttle is done!

--

My 350x rebuild with pictures Whiskey Throttle is done!

I bought my 1985 350x back in the spring of '08. It was a fine machine that had been well cared for. I gladly paid the gentleman $1500 for it and brought it home. I was very excited to get such a nice 350x. My 2 buddies here at home both had 350xs and I was envious every time I lagged behind on my 1984 Big Red bouncing down the trail because of the lack of suspension. Ok it did have front suspension with a whopping 1.5" of travel or so

This picture is at Trikefest '08 just a couple months after getting my X

This is my X today

After 4 trikefests, plenty of riding trips, ice races, Rose city trips, and several motocross races and a few drag races, and one crash this is her current condition!

That picture is the last picture of my machine before the teardown begins. She will never be the same again! It has been an awesome machine to me, but the time has come to upgrade some things and pretty her up.

After some research and looking at others builds, talking to a few people getting advice and what not here is where I am going with this build:

First off it will be a complete teardown.

I will gusset the frame and it is going to be powder coated but the color is a surprise

I will be installing a set of Hall's Performance triple trees with a set of cr125 forks to give it plenty of travel and give it a plush ride.

It will get new fenders, a clark gas tank, and a headlight shell all in BLACK! I recieved a headlight shell today from my good buddie John Swinehart. It is officially the first part aquired in this build, THANKS John and Liway!

The swing arm is going to be extended 3" and then chromed just to add a little bling in the rear to give the guys behind me something better to look at than my Butt

I am still undecided what I am going to do with the rear suspension so any suggestions or advice would be appreciated

It will be getting a new exhaust from front to back.

a 400ex carb or maybe one from a crf

A new cam, timing chain, valves, rings, a little port work and that's about all for the engine. It runs good and strong as it is so it really just needs a little freshening up.

A set of fat bars with some new controls.

New wheels and tires to plant her to the ground!

That's about all I can say for now I will update as things come along!
    Last edited by ditchmud; 03-27-2018 at 04:29 PM.

--
    Looking forward to it. It sounds like a similar build to what I'm starting. I like that headlight plastic.

--
    Sounds like a good build or freshen up Rich! I'm not sure if you seen Kasey's build with the 350x. He mounted a 250r pro link set up on I believe was a '85 350x. Looks very good and would probably be your best bet. I love the xr500 pro link set up on the 600.
    Tapper
    R.I.P. Sandpuppie, you are greatly missed!
    May you rest in peace Jeswinehart, deeply missed, never forgotten....
    Feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=tapper190

--
    Got my new forks in the mail today! I got them off of eBay for like $100 shipped! They are from a '98 CR125, they need new seals and bushings but they look to be in great shape.

Last weekend I took my frame, swingarm, and triple trees up to Jason Hall. He is going to gusset my frame, extend the swinger 3.5", and press the shaft out of my old triples to use in the new set.

That's where we are right now.

--
    I'm looking forward to watching this build Rich!
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    I have a new in package 400EX carb. Text me if you want it.

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Rich, you need a new tire on front. How about one that has traveled 4000+ miles? LOL

I got a package ( many items ) to come your way. Think they can screw 2 packages up?
    Howdy

--
    Been chatting with Jason Hall and he is going to fit a trx450r rear swingarm to the x frame. This should open up a whole new world of options to me!

--
    Git it buddy! Love a nice working over 350x!
    RPFLU member and co-owner.
    Hardtails is all we do.
    #NOLINK
    #MAKEHARDTAILSGREATAGAIN
    #SUSPENDTHIS

--
    Went up and picked up my frame and forks today! I didn't take a picture of the frame with the swing arm mounted before we took it apart to get it in the car, but Jason Hall did a great job reinforcing my frame by adding gussets. I will get some pictures up soon. Jason mounted a trx450r swing arm to my frame and used a rear shock from a cr500 dirt bike so that I can still use my stock air box.

For now here is a picture of my new Hall's performance triple trees and CR forks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	188699

--
    Man Rich....I'm really diggin' those inverts!! Watchin' your build as I am into a 350x as well. Shoot me a pm. I would like to ask ya a few ??? on those inverts. Jason does some really great looking stuff man Keep us posted, nice work
    HEY YOU WORM PICKERS..QUIT PICKIN' MY WORMS!
    Owner of the world' widest atc plow
    Builder of 3 wheeler accessories such as Big Red suspension sidecars,Big red's with full roofs, 3 wheeler elevators, and NOS powered 2 speed tri zingers

"Hold my beer.......watch this sh@# !!!!!!

--
    Looking good man! Can't wait to see it finished up. Man those inverts look sweet, I don't know that I have seen a 350x with inverts yet either, same goes for the 450r swinger. should be nice! Can't wait to get my inverts from Hall, I went with 01 cr125 forks
    TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

--
    Couldn't figure out where to stash my front end until assembly.....
    Ended up in my bedroom closet standing up in between my hanging clothes
    I'll bet I'm not the only one with cherished parts stashed in my bedroom??

--
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Looking good man! Can't wait to see it finished up. Man those inverts look sweet, I don't know that I have seen a 350x with inverts yet either, same goes for the 450r swinger. should be nice! Can't wait to get my inverts from Hall, I went with 01 cr125 forks
    Not to steal ditchmud's thunder, but I've got inverts on my 350X: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...46#post1219746

Someone here on 3WW had them previously, and I found them complete with forks on Craigslist. CR500 forks aren't exactly known for being cutting edge, but it is certainly nicer than the totally worn-out stock forks that were on the bike before.

The CR125 forks should be amazing!
    -Chad

--
    real nice dude! I have been waiting for some 350 threads! I need motivation, and this is just the ticket! Do the cr 125 forks need to be shortened at all?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //