//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: atc 500r build

--
    you have a newer engine it looks like. my engine i believe is around 85. i bought and exhaust off a 97. from my experience the newer engines have bigger water jackets and are a bigger engine all together bc of that. your engine probably sits closer to the down tube than my 85 which is a smaller overall engine. ive never seen a cr 500 engine fit in a stock frame without cutting the engine mount on the head shorter. i find it hard to believe that you didn't have to cut anything on the engine to get it to fit properly. more info would be nice on your engine year and frame year. and exactly what frame you have. i have an 85 era engine and an 85 atc. 250r frame with cr 500 basket. bc my engine sits lower and was rocked back more made my exhaust manifold sit further back from the down tube hence the 1" i had to add. i wish it was as easy as yours unfortunately not. looks good tho anyway. send us more pics of the exhaust close up and your engine close up how you mounted it. what length is your swing arm? im running stock. i see very few running stock length.

--
    seems like everyone on this forum is all secretive about there 500's. i came on here for one reason and that is to share my setup with people that are building them. i have no secrets and like to show my troubles. there are many of ways to go about these builds. if you are right cave rider about your setup being a direct fit. share your specific years of parts and that would be the easiest for people to build.

--
    I have 3 500s and have done quite a bit of swapping parts years to years. It's not that anyones all that secretive it's mainly that this topic has been beat like a dead horse on other areas of the board. If you did a search on atc500r's you'd find lots of info on it.

Specifically cave riders machine, I'm pretty sure that one of the frames Billy Golightly built and grafted in completely new lower frame rails. This allowed the engine to sit in there with out a lot of fuss. It's a well known fact that with some custom mounts and some minor modifications you can get a cr500 engine into a stock atc250r frame but replacing the lower cradle does seem to make it simpler.

I have two CR dirtbike conversions and one atc250r swap. There is are only small differences in any of the year 500s, and many parts swap between all years, from 85-01.
    The jugs are not larger on the outside in any significant way. I need to eat dinner but I will be back and continue shortly. The main change that occured in 87 was the change to a longer connecting rod and thus 5mm of material was added to the top of the cases and minor casting changes where made to increase strength, no mount changes were made in the castings and the newer cylinders will swap to older cases with a spacer plate and very minor machining. The changes in the cylinders were all in the liners and the internal space to accommodate a thicker liner.

I will post some pics and more info after dinner.
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Cave Rider View Post
    Sorry about the small pics. But im using my phone.
    That bike is sick....
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    as far as oem frame the rear crossmember has to be notched or something done to it and the engine mount on the head of the cr500 engine has to be cut shorter or they will not fit in an untouched oem frame period. i had a brand new oem 85 250r frame untouched and there was no way that engine would fit without cutting either the engine or the frame. FACT. so point proven cave rider has a frame that is build for his setup for parts to fit right. my frame was originally built with a drag pipe so it didn't really matter about exhaust at that time because the pipe came out of the frame. also my lower basket is added after the very last stock skid plate threads.

Cave Rider is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quik overview :The engine is 86 , frame is 85. Pipe and clutch cover are 01. Cut out cradle,bolted motor in, then fabricated the remaining portion with tubing.Finished off with solid steel skid plate for extra strength. I did not mean to rustle feathers,and I would gladly answer any questions. But Louis is right,the answers are already here. And most guys WILL help if asked. Nice trike you are building,im sure it will rip for ya !!!

--
    when you bolt the 500 in with the rear mount/also swing arm pivot point that never changes.some builders make new down tubes at the y in the front of the frame. all of that work will help in the long run for engine mount and all. my frame has basket added at the very bottom making my down tubes oem most of the way down. thats why my exhaust needed more work. my frame is pretty close to oem but not quite.

--
    no prob cave rider i can read you have a good attitude and are very helpful. nice trike. are you set up for flat track>?

Cave Rider is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Yes it was,it has since been sold.

--
    How much did u get out of your 500 cave rider?

--
    got the trike together today. got it running took it for a ride. what a wild ride with stock swing arm, right up my alley. theres still snow on the ground and pretty muddy here in michigan. still have to finish the silencer. also the kickstart needs work. currently has spacer and its hard as hell to start. i guess thats a good thing. anyway heres a pic.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-45.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	164741 atc 500r

--
    How did you route the radiator hoses? Can you post some close up pics of how you did it? Thats where i am now and i am having some issues
    ATC 350X-The Oem Piece
    ATC 500R-The Dune Hog
    ATC 70-The Cruzer

--
    Nice looking bike man, turned out very clean! I found one I am buying and hope I don't struggle wthe pipe
    TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //