//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoring an old 1990 LT250s

--

Restoring an old 1990 LT250s

Call me crazy, but I found this LT250s and all it really needed was a swing arm bearing and a good oil change and there
    I go tearing this down. I've got it most of the way down just need to remove the engine and take the springs off
    the shocks and ball joints off the A-arms and then it is off to the powder coater....just waiting for a warm day to get
    back into the garage.

These were only made in 1989 and 1990 so some parts are as rare as hen's teeth. The plastics I bought were pricy!

all the pics...
    http://www.pbase.com/dirtweed/1990_s...t250s&page=all

SAM_1503.jpgSAM_1508.jpg
    "See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like. "

Trikes:
    1982 Honda ATC250R(in process), 1984 Honda ATC110, 1984 Honda 200s, 1985 Kawasaki KLT160(not running...yet)
    Quads:
    1990 Suzuki LT250S, 2013 Suzuki LT-Z400, 2014 Honda TRX450R SE

--
    I can honestly say I have never seen one of those and its kinda cool looking. I take it the fenders are NOS? What does plastic for something like this run?

--
    When I first got into quads I seen one of these things for sale in someones yard localy. I called them and talked to a woman and she said they wanted $500 for it. I asked what kind of 4wheeler it was she said it was an Oakleys, must have seen the Oakleys sticker on the fender. I was prolly about 11 years old at the time and had no clue what it was either. All my buddies taught it was a Quadzilla. Glad I didn't buy it now thinking it was a Oakleys Quadzilla special edition.
    "I'm Kind Of Like The Turtle Man Of 3Wheelers."

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    Nice find I always had wanted one the little brother to quadzilla wasnt it?

--
    A buddy has one of those that he's been fixing up (with my help). His in an '89, and ya, parts are rare.
    We're currently in the process of getting the motor fixed. Rod was seized when he got it, and nobody sells a rod kit. A few places sell the rod, bearing, and pin separate, not cheap tho. A few other parts he needs to find to, rear caliper, and maybe a bearing carrier.
    Rides:
    1985 250sx
    1982 ATC185s
    1984 200es

Always Hoping For a Maritime Trikefest- http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...s-where-you-at

"Wear Limits Are Just A Suggestion"

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Wow man, that's a machine I never even knew existed. You just blew my mind. It's like a Suzuki 250X.

--
    I have a LT250s repair manual, if you need it.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by MonroeMike View Post
    I have a LT250s repair manual, if you need it.
    You would.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Thanks guys, yeah it's a hard one to find and a harder one to find parts for. I did find a service manual on eBay thanks for the offer though!

The wife wouldn't allow a purchase of a new quad and I had to agree with the current prices, but we were OK with dumping some cash into
    this one to have a rare vintage ride that looks good. The plastics I picked up NOS from a couple of different warehouses and the blue hood
    from a dealership in Arkansas that was clearing out old parts. Also picked up a new headlight assembly...even though the one I have is fine.
    The plastics altogether ran me over $800. (Ouch!) Bob Tracey's world of Cycles in PA actually had the NOS stickers in stock, something they
    were quite surprised about. I could not find the decals for the front fender anywhere so I have to have those reproduced.

The carb needed rebuilding and of course there was no kit so I had to order the LT230S carb kit and order the parts for the LT250S that were
    available. Kinda like a giant Easter Egg hunt for me. I have been tossing up what color to powder the frame with, but I might just do original colors.....
    then I'll not want to ride it. Dunno, but I have some time to figure that out.

This quad was bought new at Hollink in Spencerport NY and was ridden, but not too hard. It has sat the last 10+ years in a garage untouched and
    hasn't been started either. I brought it home and figured what the heck and tossed some gas in it. After a few kicks it started right up and ran
    great. It has a small oil leak at the base of the Jug so we're going to open it up, check it all out and button it back up.

It should look pretty good when I'm done with it. I've done quite a few tractors over the last few years and the quads are a lot easier to work on
    so it should be pretty easy.

Darrin

Here is one of the tractors I brought back to life....
    http://www.pbase.com/dirtweed/1986_j...e_216&page=all

large.jpg129249361.jpg
    "See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like. "

Trikes:
    1982 Honda ATC250R(in process), 1984 Honda ATC110, 1984 Honda 200s, 1985 Kawasaki KLT160(not running...yet)
    Quads:

--
    Nice I like that you know the history of the quad. I like that your wife agree with this project that'd be awesome! Nice tractor we had a 210 that after breaking the rod twice it was time to go down the road.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 90guy View Post
    Nice I like that you know the history of the quad. I like that your wife agree with this project that'd be awesome!
    My wife likes the classic cars and machines....she can't ride due to having neck surgery a while back, but she doesn't mind us working
    on them and keeping them in the garage. As long as she gets to park inside that is.

Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    I have a 88 lt 230 Quadsport.I picked up a parts machine for it last summer .The 88 was origonaly blue and white like yours.The parts machine I got has orange mieres fenders on it that have been painted.Im going to redo the 88 over in the orange and black colors.
    A guy by me had an 88 in orange and black for sale that was in really nice shape. We were thinking about it then that 250R popped up and we went with that.

Trikes:
    Quads:

--
    Years ago my dads best friend had one in mint, almost new condition, probably only 50 hours on it. My dad was borrowing it and it was being kept up at his house. My uncle was in town and decided to go for a ride when no one was home and for whatever reason he went out to the paved road. He pulled out of the driveway without looking and got hit by a truck. His face took the impact of the side mirror, tearing it off of the truck and sending him down an embankment. The 250S was never the same, frame got tweaked, shocks and A-arms bent, front plastic destroyed, etc. I don't think my uncle was ever the same either, he was hurt very badly, lots of stitches. A helmet looked like it would have been a good idea...........

I owned a 1992 250X during that time. It was a better quad in every way than the LT250S. Not that the LT250S was bad, it was an easy to ride, fun little quad, just slower with worse suspension. And the build quality of the Honda was so much better. I really want to know who designed the kick start for the LT250S, that guy needs punched in the face, dare I say worse than a Tecate.

Good luck with the build, looks like you got the hard part done with finding the plastic. I really dig the lawn tractor too, very nice job!!

Joker 90
    1970 Honda US90- aquarius blue
    1981 Yamaha YT125
    1986 Yamaha Big Wheel 80
    1986 Kawasaki Tecate KXT500
    1987 Kawasaki KXT250B2
    2005 Yamaha YFZ450

--
    Wow your poor Uncle...that's rough.

Yeah it's not the best designed Quad, but I'm one for being different usually. That side kicker really didn't make any sense at all.
    Take a look at the link I posted and see my John Deere 316, 420, 314 and the 112 I am working on now.

I just found a guy on another forum about 1.5 hours from my house is restoring his LT250s.
    Got me excited some more....gotta get more information from him about the shocks he bought for the front and how to stuff that Banshee shock in the rear.
    Last edited by Dirtweed; 02-06-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Trikes:
    Quads:

--
    Great machines,head and shoulder above the 230's. The kickers are a dream if you give them a chance??! They start effortlessly. Had a LOT of them apart and had to retime them. I have one now,,needs restored for sure. I would LOVE to find nos plastic and seat for mine. VERY nice work dirt weed!
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    I was Service Honda's website and they say the plastic is still available for them. They are usually on top of whats available and whats been discontinued. Might want to check on that Bill.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //