//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to the fourm

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

New to the fourm

Greetings, all. Just wanted to get started by introducing myself (Dave) and thank everyone on here for a FANTASTIC site. More info here than anywhere else I've looked. Thanks for all the effort it takes to keep a site like this up and running.

I have a few trikes in the stable and it would seem that somehow, two of them mated in the off season and spawned a third with some "unique" qualities.
    It should have its' legs and be walking by the last weekend in April as long as a surgeon (machinist) gets his work completed.

The new offspring will be named Trixy and she is a Honda "185" SXR

I know pics are a requirement for most so as soon as she opens her eyes, I'll get some pics up...

Until then, thanks for having me.

Dave

--
    Welcome to the forum.
    1982 Yamaha YT125 tri-moto - Boyesen power reeds, YT175 front suspension, Headlight guard.
    1982 Yamaha YT175 tri-moto - Running but ugly
    1984 Yamaha YT 60 tri-zinger - Boyesen power reeds

My feedback.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ght=old-yellow
    My album
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=98

--
    yep, need pics! Welcome

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thanks for the welcome, guys. I've been collecting parts for this little project for the past 7-years and have finally pulled things off the shelves and started putting them together. The first three wheeler I ever rode was a 185S with the front suspension and it was such a blast that I vowed to someday have one of my own. That was back in 1983. Fast forward 30-years, a wife, two wonderful children, and a few wheelers, and I'm right back to where I started. This time around, I have a bit more money to play with and lots more tools. I'm building my dream 185S and yeah I know... "why a 185S" is usually the question I hear first. To that I say, because I want one.

Here is a teaser shot:

The Goal... All I Need Is The Time...

--
    Received a few parts from the machinist. These will keep things aligned. Chain tension will be supplied via the '86 rear swinger bearing carrier.

--
    Looks like a fun project! Welcome to 3WW also!

Joker 90
    1970 Honda US90- aquarius blue
    1981 Yamaha YT125
    1986 Yamaha Big Wheel 80
    1986 Kawasaki Tecate KXT500
    1987 Kawasaki KXT250B2
    2005 Yamaha YFZ450

--
    Here is where I pick up some extra ponies. 30mm ALL the way through. Ported, polished, and port matched... guides and valves (on order) . Should flow a little better than stock. Even more fun in the exhaust department.

--
    First off, welcome to 3WW!!! second, that looks to be an 83/84 swinger. Right? Way to go on the carb and machine work to the engine too! Im very interested to the rest of the machine, and some more close up shots of your 'surgeon' skills lol you will fit right in here
    TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

--
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    First off, welcome to 3WW!!! second, that looks to be an 83/84 swinger. Right? Way to go on the carb and machine work to the engine too! Im very interested to the rest of the machine, and some more close up shots of your 'surgeon' skills lol you will fit right in here
    The swinger is an '86. What is throwing you off, is that the dog-bone mounts have been removed and will be reversed, to hold the '84 250R suspension linkage. The front bearing carriers where the swing arm bolt goes through were cut off and moved inward to allow for the 84 200x frame and swingarm spacer to be used.
    The upper shock mount will be extended down and back by about +-3" to hold the '84 250R stock shock.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

--
    Jason... here are a few closer pics. Didn't take time to grab the wifes camera, so a poor phone pic or two, will have to do.

This thing is a mix of parts that span three decades, so if something doesn't look "right", there is a good chance that it isn't, so to speak.
    Could almost have a Where's Waldo of Honda paerts on this little project.

All questions welcomed. I may even have an answer for some of them.

OH... in case some may wonder why I didn't use the complete '86 250R swinger assembly, the only good answer that I can think of, is that I really like the looks of the "bent bone" on the 83-84 250Rs BUT... I wanted a bit more travel in the swinger. So in this case, the '84 shock will be mounted more upright as opposed to laying down inside the swinger as it would have done, from the factory.

"Adjust" a mounting point or two and there ya go...

Worden18 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Very cool project Dave; and welcome to the forums. New here myself. Oh, and I love my 185 too

I'll be keeping and eye on your project
    My Trikes:

1983 Honda 185s
    1986 Honda 250es Big Red
    1985 Yamaha 225 DX
    1984 Yamaha 200EL "Yamahauler"

--
    Hopefully tonight after work (yes I work on Saturdays, too) I should have some mounts made up for the dog bone linkage. The swinger mounts are going to be easy. Where things get a little more complicated, is in the frame mounts for the compression member. Also, as the 84 250R linkage originally mounted to the bearing carrier and on this project, it is mounted about 4" further ahead on the swing arm, I'm going to have to shorten the compression bone by 2 1/2 - 3" and glue things back together. Forged cast is always soooo much fun to weld. Then on to the upper shock mount. Fun, Fun, and more Fun...

--
    Shortened the lower linkage and made a mounting bracket for it, tacked the old ears on the swing arm to get the geometry right and see just how much suspension travel I will have. There will be a good 8" of travel with this layout and may be room for a bit more however, the 84 250R shock will be maxed out at just under 9". Thinking I'm going to leave well enough alone and not push for any more. Don't want to bend things.

--
    Set the original 185S engine into the frame last night and started making the mounts. I'm going with the 185S mounts, just for fun and a different look.

They needed to be split down the middle, from top to bottom, and then in two where they mount to the frame as the 200x frame spacing if close, but not close enough.

I'll close the gap on the front of the mounts, these are just tacked together for fitment.

Fun evening with the final welding to be completed after everything is in place and tacked together.

--
    Right side mount hacked up, and tacked up.

smacked up,

and tacked up some more.

Chain alignment is very close and there is a bit of room to shift the engine to the left, if need be.

I think I'm going to close the drapes and return with the finished and ridden Trixy. Next winter will be making her look pretty and "production built".

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //