//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another Honda ATC 125m Transmission Problem

--
    To me it seems like an over tightening issue.

--
    Its not overtightening, you can't. The bolt had a shoulder on it that sits on the top of the boss, and you sure can't crank that bolt down too tight, i have broken two of them not being ginger with them. Below the shoulder on the bolt there is a section of no thread before the thread starts thats really skinny and makes the bolt weak. They aren't to hard to twist them off for sure!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Oh. Yeah. I haven't pulled the bolt out yet. It's been crappy out with the fresh snow. I'll have to dig through the bolt bucket and find a longer one for welding.

--
    Thank god the snow is finally done here....

If i still had a spare i would take a picture of it.

Nevermind finally found it on Dr ATV, i just had to look through my old invoices to find the part number.

http://dratv.stores.yahoo.net/shdrstpibo2.html

Its like they built in a failure point with that weak area between the shoulder and the threads.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    I'm chiming in because I'm searching for the pieces you guys are speaking of. I've taken off the left side cover where the clutch is housed. Is this the side to be working on? Also, I noticed strange wear on some phillips head screws...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2817.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	168773

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepvolks View Post
    I'm chiming in because I'm searching for the pieces you guys are speaking of. I've taken off the left side cover where the clutch is housed. Is this the side to be working on? Also, I noticed strange wear on some phillips head screws...

as I recall, I had the same sick feeling when I took mine apart.
    What in the world was loose and grinding against those p. head screws.?
    I just buttoned mine back up awaiting a thread like this one but mine looks the same.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
    Thank god the snow is finally done here....

If i still had a spare i would take a picture of it.

Nevermind finally found it on Dr ATV, i just had to look through my old invoices to find the part number.

http://dratv.stores.yahoo.net/shdrstpibo2.html

Its like they built in a failure point with that weak area between the shoulder and the threads.
    Hard to believe someone came to work with this great idea, which is ok but then,'
    a committee of 12 AGREED with them.
    I wonder what the 90/110's look like as they don't seem to fail as frequently.

--
    The shift drum stopper is behind the primary gear to the upper left of the case. Primary gear being left of the clutch assembly.

Mine was literally just sitting on top of the primary. You can see it ground it down nicely.

You need a spanner tool to get the clutch assembly off and snap ring pliers to remove the primary gear.
    86 Honda ATC 200X Frankentrike (Project)
    80 Honda CB650C Conversion (Project)

3WW Feeback Thread For DasUberKraut

Retired Machines - 02 Honda TRX 300EX, 85 Honda ATC 250SX, 84 Honda ATC 200X Astro Kit, 85 Honda ATC 70, 85 Honda ATC 200 Auto-X, 83 Honda ATC 200E Big Red, 84 Honda ATC 125M (X2), 82 Honda ATC200, 81 Honda ATC 185S, 81 Honda XR250R

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepvolks View Post

Those screws look as if they came loose and wore on something. And that is never a good thing. Look at your side cover and all other parts for wear marks.
    Howdy

--
    I got it all apart and the lever was both bent and a little split; probably should have taken a photo. Anyway, I ran up to work and welded it back (just enough to make it sturdy and put everything back together. Not sure why, but those screws that were shaved looked like button heads. There were holes countersunk into the piece they secured so I just bought some that had the matching counter sunk heads. Rides and shifts great! No missing gears, popping out of gear or hunting for neutral. Feels like there might be
    just a tad too much tension on the lever so I'll order a new one to put in there for good measure. Thanks to all and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge

--
    Glad you had success jeep!

I found a longer bolt to hold my stopper boss in place for welding on the first try in the bolt bucket.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //