//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Honda ATC 185S Resurrection

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    I love the Duplicolor Cast Coat Aluminum color engine paint. I used it on my 350X swingarm, too:

Attachment 165098

Attachment 165099

Attachment 165100

Attachment 165101

But I prefer the Duplicolor silver wheel paint for the wheels - it's what I used on these crappy old TRX wheels:

Attachment 165102
    When you sprayed the Duplicolor Silver, did it spatter a bit? One of the things I found, and it only does it with this color, is that when it dries, I have to wipe away the spatter dust...it's weird, but it doesn't affect the final finish.

As you guys get to know me, you'll learn all about my OCD for making sure that things are as near-perfect as possible; I do as much research as possible, before I tackle a problem.....comes from my years in Military Intelligence, only this time my target is a 1982 ATC 185S!
    Fred
    Retired Army Guy
    1982 Honda ATC 185S
    1985 Kawasaki KLT160

--
    Looks Good Fred,I dont think I couldnt bring the motor in the house...lol.Keep us posted

--
    Quote Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
    Looks Good Fred,I dont think I couldnt bring the motor in the house...lol.Keep us posted
    I have a very understanding wife. As long as the parts are clean, they're allowed in, LOL!
    Fred
    Retired Army Guy
    1982 Honda ATC 185S
    1985 Kawasaki KLT160

--
    I'm still trying to get mine to accept the fact I bought one. Lol

--
    Quote Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
    I have a very understanding wife. As long as the parts are clean, they're allowed in, LOL!
    My wife is the same. She has been tolerating my John Deere parts for years, now the ATC and Quad parts have taken their place
    and it hasn't bothered her at all.

Can't wait to see this one done.
    "See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like. "

Trikes:
    1982 Honda ATC250R(in process), 1984 Honda ATC110, 1984 Honda 200s, 1985 Kawasaki KLT160(not running...yet)
    Quads:
    1990 Suzuki LT250S, 2013 Suzuki LT-Z400, 2014 Honda TRX450R SE

--
    Didn't get a bunch done tonight; I worked my halter horse for a bit, to get him ready for a show next month, and it was my daughter's birthday....15 years old now. Seems the older I get, the more directions I get pulled in.

I did manage to get the CDI cover, engine mounts and bolts painted. I know the bolts were supposed to be plated, but this is going to be a daily driver, not a museum piece. At some point down the road, I'll probably get stainless bolts for it, but for now I'm happy.
    Fred
    Retired Army Guy
    1982 Honda ATC 185S
    1985 Kawasaki KLT160

--
    For your restoration are you going to be doing all OEM original parts, or are you going to be doing mods to it as well? i.e. 200x carb, performance piston, etc. And congrats to you and your daughter.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Direwolf95 View Post
    For your restoration are you going to be doing all OEM original parts, or are you going to be doing mods to it as well? i.e. 200x carb, performance piston, etc. And congrats to you and your daughter.
    Direwolf, in all honesty I'm going to slap what will fit on it, so I can get out there and ride. I want it to look as original as possible, but I also understand that some of these parts are hard to find, and I am itching to get out on the trails!
    Fred
    Retired Army Guy
    1982 Honda ATC 185S
    1985 Kawasaki KLT160

--
    i have an 83 185s that i just put a newer lifan 200 elect start/man clutch engine on cause old one was blown but im wondering where to get new rear plastics cause the ones that came separete with mine are way too big, im thinking they are for a 250 but look nothing like yours

where can i get new/used correct plastics or can i modify mine to fit

heres what came with mine and its not fitting at all

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yoomooman View Post
    i have an 83 185s that i just put a newer lifan 200 elect start/man clutch engine on cause old one was blown but im wondering where to get new rear plastics cause the ones that came separete with mine are way too big, im thinking they are for a 250 but look nothing like yours

where can i get new/used correct plastics or can i modify mine to fit

heres what came with mine and its not fitting at all
    Honestly, I don't know. You might want to start your own thread; that will get you more responses. It doesn't really bother me, but posting on someone else's thread is considered hijacking and not cool.
    Fred
    Retired Army Guy
    1982 Honda ATC 185S
    1985 Kawasaki KLT160

--
    I got my seat from eBay tonight....holy freakin' cow!!!!!! This thing is mint, considering it's from 1982. There is ZERO rust on the seat pan; the seat itself has four rips....I can deal with that for now, until it needs to be recovered.....a Saddlemen cover will take care of that.

Here are the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0249.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	165226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0252.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	165227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0250.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	165228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0251.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	165229  
    Fred
    Retired Army Guy
    1982 Honda ATC 185S
    1985 Kawasaki KLT160

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I think I might cry...

Lovely project that you have going. Any chance that seat came from AZ or Nevada? GREAT parts states.
    The Goal... All I Need Is The Time...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave8338 View Post
    I think I might cry...

Lovely project that you have going. Any chance that seat came from AZ or Nevada? GREAT parts states.
    Would you believe it came from my home state of PA? I remember that, as a kid, everything in PA rusted! God only knows what my 1984 XR100 looks like, if it isn't a Campbell's soup can by now.
    Fred
    Retired Army Guy
    1982 Honda ATC 185S
    1985 Kawasaki KLT160

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
    Would you believe it came from my home state of PA? I remember that, as a kid, everything in PA rusted! God only knows what my 1984 XR100 looks like, if it isn't a Campbell's soup can by now.
    Never saw daylight! GREAT find and hard to come by...
    The Goal... All I Need Is The Time...

--
    Very nice find! My seatpan looks like your old one. I'm thinking of trying the fiberglass cheap@ss route. Lol. There's a guy on YouTube by the way that recovered his seat on an old ktm dirtbike. Total spent was like $15-20. He takes you step by step and it looks pretty easy. Especially if you have the tools already. Looked like a staple gun, vinyl from wallyworld, scissors and some redneck ingenuity. His finished product didn't look bad at all, and like you said with your ocd you'd probably make it look sweet. I just went and got bondo,primer,paint and some sandpaper. Gonna start my tank tomorrow.
    Oh and whatever you do, don't line your tank with a liner to prevent rust, the guy before me did that and I am having to peel chunks out with needlenose and carb cleaner.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //