//ArrowChat Code

Thread: diesel 200e?

dirtdemon is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

diesel 200e?

Would it be possible to take a 200 and turn it into a diesel?
    Like deck the head and run a 12:1 piston?
    Or is the aluminum head not strong enough to run like 18:1?
    1983 200x x3
    1985 200x x2
    1982 185s x2
    1984 200es
    And more on the way :

--
    Aren't military motorcycles diesel?
    so they can drink out of the tanks everything else runs on?
    Maybe Kawai's?

Dave8338 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I think you would yank the head bolts right out of the head the first time it fired...if you could get it to fire. What would you use for the fuel injection and pump?
    The Goal... All I Need Is The Time...

--
    Any special reason to run diesel?
    Other than fuel options?

My jd tractor will run on kerosene when it's warmed up.
    Is kerosene 1/2 way to diesel?

I've seen some cute little diesel engines lately and may have to look into that some more.

--
    Kawasaki makes a diesel version of the KLR650 for the military. It was tested in Cycle World a couple years ago. If you are considering converting a gas to diesel, see how well that worked out for GM in the 80's with their 350's.
    nstyle73

"When in doubt, wind it out"

Feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-nstyle73

Deathrocket is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    or diesel arctic cats, the whole reason they tried it was so farmers could run them on red diesel on the farm.. they were slow as all hell, noisy rattly unreliable hunks of crap.. when was the last time you saw a diesel arctic cat? and not to be a turd, but it sounds to me like you don't understand how a diesel works, diesels need extreme fuel pressure because they inject at (or near) tdc.. got to overcome 200psi.. diesels are a whole different animal.. not to say you couldn't stick a diesel engine in a trike, but i think the weight would be a disadvantage, and it wouldn't be any fun, unless it was turbocharged.. N/A diesels will pull anything, but don't ask to go anywhere fast.. unless you are a machinist with access to every metal fab tool imaginable it wouldn't work...
    Last edited by Deathrocket; 03-26-2013 at 11:24 PM.

hondawasaki is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Anything is possible, I doubt all the work would be worth it, but you would need to figure out the injection system. The compression is the easy part. diesels are direct injected, so you would need to figure out an injection pump, injector, glow system etc. carburetion isn't an option.

--
    so basically im gonna copy/paste what i said on Atc Guy's post about diesel bikes.

i'd posted about this a couple years ago during my deployment, they've got a diesel dirtbike thats pretty much exclusively special forces and it has a pretty decent power/weight ratio. i wouldn't have had an issue sticking it in a trike since they were about a 650cc(it went fast enough for me) engine so some cutting and mods are about all it'd need. i know they made a smaller 400-450cc version but i've never ridden that one. nowadays im sure you can find a smaller one that wouldn't be much of a struggle to fit. but keep in mind a diesel bike would be more for work than fun because i doubt you'd need that much power doing anything other than hauling and drags.

so yes they do make a diesel bike for the military but that's a dirtbike and a 650, and they burn pretty clean for a diesel even when you mash it.
    SAWFLY
    It's not stolen, I just happen to have the same thing

--
    I wouldnt mind a diesel trike with reverse for plowing and hauling.. But beyond work needs it wouldnt be that great i dont think.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    my dad claims Honda made a few diesel powered atvs he said there were a few at the coal mine he use to work at but he never got to ride one because they never ran the whole time he worked there lol
    I was born to ride atc

current atc's 85 250r (the big fast one) 85 200x (old reliable go anywhere machine)

past atc's 1970ish atc 70(still miss it) 83 110 (still miss it)

--
    Well we all saw how well diesel quads worked for not just Arctic Cat, but for Polaris as well. I saw one in person, and it was a bigger hunk of crap then a standard Polaris. Only thing I will say is that it needed to be a diesel to haul the dude that rode it around Guy was B I G BIG!

--
    im ex military, use the klr engine!

--
    a semi auto diesel?

A diesel will never run to 8000 rpm. 2500,3000 rpm MAYBE max.

Take your 200e and take a ride Under 3000 rpm for a day, you will forget the diesel idea

1986 ATC500X
    1985 ATC250SX
    1985 ATC200X
    1985 ATC250R
    1986 ATC250R
    1984 ATC250R
    1981 ATC70
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70
    Custom built ATC70 / 250R laydwon swap
    1986 ATC250SX FATCAT

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //