//ArrowChat Code

Thread: No Oven Powder Coating

JGW3 is offline New to the board Arm chair racerNew to the board
    --

No Oven Powder Coating

Been looking at doing a little powder coating. Saw the Eastwood Infrared Hotcoat system. Anybody have any experience with it? Used it?

--
    I just checked it out, it looks like a lot of moving the lamp for bigger parts. I'd be curious to hear FB on this system.

nicker71 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I do a little PC as a hobby, I too seen a heat lamp but decided to use the inferred heaters that clamp on to propane tanks(cheap). It works pretty good, but you have to move the heat around the part and its a good idea to get a lazer temp gun to make sure you dont get the part too hot.

fcf35 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I have also been doing some research on PC.I have a very simple plan that involves using 2×4's,3×5×1/2" concrete board.I'm just gonna buy 6 sheets of the board and a couple 2×4 and frame up a 3×5 box making sure while measuring I allow enough room so there will be minimal cutting of the concrete board.cover the inside completely with the board and make a simple door for it.all I have to do is be able to reach 375-400 degrees.I already have 2 junk cook stoves that still have good elements and thermostat so I'll be gutting them for parts.I figure about about $70 for the box and I know if I didn't have one I could find a junk cook stove for 50 or less.I only mess with 3 wheeler stuff so I know 3×5 is plenty big enough for me.
    3-350x
    85 250 Bigred
    85 250sx
    85 250r

MNhondaguy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    To to a state auction. Like state college or something like that. Get one of those bigass stainless fridges and slap a burner in that. Bingo.

Ad even if you don't use it as an oven, you make a sweet toolbox, smoker, or keg fridge with a tap through the door.
    83 ATC 200E(X) Big Red

My YouTube- http://m.youtube.com/user/mazdarattiman

My bros (hoopster3030) YouTube- http://m.youtube.com/user/hoopster3030

--
    also, can you make an insulated box and stick one of the infrared Propane burners through a hole in the bak or side? cut a small vent slot on the bottom sides and a door on the top to regulate heat and do it that way? Id like a PC set up but my garage does not have the 220 power... so id be stuck with using a toaster oven...lol When I was building drums id use the "Poor mans" Powder coating for rims and lugs... Hi temp paint cured with a heat gun! lol. Not as good as PC but if you cant use powder, its your next best option.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fcf35 View Post
    I have also been doing some research on PC.I have a very simple plan that involves using 2×4's,3×5×1/2" concrete board.I'm just gonna buy 6 sheets of the board and a couple 2×4 and frame up a 3×5 box making sure while measuring I allow enough room so there will be minimal cutting of the concrete board.cover the inside completely with the board and make a simple door for it.all I have to do is be able to reach 375-400 degrees.I already have 2 junk cook stoves that still have good elements and thermostat so I'll be gutting them for parts.I figure about about $70 for the box and I know if I didn't have one I could find a junk cook stove for 50 or less.I only mess with 3 wheeler stuff so I know 3×5 is plenty big enough for me.
    I have seen ovens made by building a box out of the metal studs and making an inside wall from sheet metal, adding insulation behind it, then using more sheet metal for the outside. then like you want to do, they take the burner out from an old oven and use it along with the electronics. theres a fair amount of plans on line for them.

--
    500 Watt with no cover Halogen probably serves just as well. Maybe infrared??

Curing powder coating seems important to do, a certain layer or corner the heat certainly matters!!; I would not like my stuff cured by moving the lights around..... Many ways to make these work, 400 degrees for most powders I believe?

Maybe some PC dust works, but, the light needs to be not too close etc.

I didn't read all the posts, but ovens are on Craigslist every day (Free) with a date and time to go get it Haggle a few smacks if you had to. I have gone thru 2 elements in 10 years but the oven sits outside (all winter, today too) and on the wheels for when I don't use it. Probably a year now.........
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //