//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Avenger Big Foot 3-Wheeler

--

Avenger Big Foot 3-Wheeler

Hi everyone,

This will be my maiden post here on 3WW and it's concerning a 3-wheeler that doesn't seem to have a lot of information out there. But prior to my questions, here's the history of this machine.
    When I was nine years old, my Pawpaw came across a (vintage at that time) 3-wheeler in one of his bartering deals. It was a 60's/70's Avenger Big Foot made by Adventure Vehicles Inc. I drove that thing for an entire summer in Oklahoma and (not surprisingly) had a few close calls like nearly running over my cousin who fell off the back when I stopped on a hill. When summer was over and it was time to make the trip back home to Kentucky my Pawpaw told me that he would save the 3-wheeler for me and when I was grown up I could take it home and let my little boy ride it just like I did. I visited my grandparents for several years after that and the 3-wheeler was nowhere to be seen. Flash forward 20 years and I am now 29.
    After a long period of not visiting Oklahoma (life, family, work, etc.) I made a trip to see my grandfather who was not doing well at the time. He asked me if I remembered the summer I rode the 3-wheeler and asked if I remembered him saying he would keep it for me. I of course remembered like it was yesterday. He took me to a large barn on his property and removed a tarp revealing a (dusty) but nicely preserved piece of my childhood; the Avenger Big Foot!
    I cleaned it up as nicely as time would allow, replaced the battery, gassed it up, sprayed some starter fluid in the air filter and cranked the electric start. After a few minutes of what sounded like a bad case of asthma, the 8hp Kohler fired up. I loaded it in the bed of my truck and a few days later headed back home to KY.

Now that you know the background, you understand that although this may or may not be a hunk of junk, it means a great deal to me. I am slowly doing a resto on it and need some help understanding carbureted motors. It starts, and it runs but it won't stay running unless I am pressing the gas. I can ride it, but if I let it idle too low, it'll die and I'll end up pushing it home. It won't start unless it is half choked, and because of that when I test ride it - it accelerates like it is half choked (duh). Parts are non-existent for this thing so I am trying to avoid doing a full breakdown of the motor. Can anyone offer advice on what to do, or what to look for in order to get this thing idling and running without dying? Thank you in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Foot 1.jpg 
Views:	1688 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	168508  

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Hello

Very cool.

Just a few things,

Does it have new gas?

Did you clean carb? Carb may simply have half way plugged up jets, very common. Clean all carb holes with carb clean using red nozzle. Spray should come out inside bore when sprayed into main and pilot jets.

--
    Welcome to the boards! Pretty cool back story, and cool bike!

The problem is your carb is more then likely gummed up. Sounds like the pilot jet is clogged (not hard they have very small openings) which is what the bike uses to idle. What needs to happen, is the carburetor needs to be gone through. If you are slightly mechanically inclined you will be fine. Just take your time, and remember where everything goes when you remove it. You need to remove the float bowl (bottom of the carb) and use some carb cleaner to clear all the passesges. That will clear it right up! Be careful when you pull the bowl though, there are a few small pieces that can easily fall out, so do it over a cleared bench!

Good luck man, and keep us posted.
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-ATC-Eric

Survivor! TF: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 Sandpuppies: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18 Imperial Invasion 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Everything Big Bore on FaceBook

--
    Thats the best trike story I seen in a long time.. The guys here can help you out.. But did you clean the crab..
    86 Tri-Z
    86 Honda 250R,
    84 Tecate

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Hello

Sorry I forgot to mention, if tje jets still look crusty inside afterward cleaning then simply take the jets out and spin them on a similar size "number" drill by hand. This will break the crust off without harming the jets.

--
    Thanks guys for the warm welcomes and responses! The gas is new, but the inside of the tank looks like it could use a good coating. It's not completely destroyed in there, but it does look pretty fairly dirty. I have not cleaned the carb, so I supposed that will be the first thing I tried to tackle. I just want to make sure that by tearing it down, I am not going to need to replace parts by doing so. Is it common to be able to reuse the parts in the carb once the cleaning is finished?

Since it's been sitting for darn near 20 years, it has accumulated a moderate amount of "gunk" in all the outer crevices of the motor and frame. I'm guessing that a thorough cleaning EVERYWHERE is what it's going to take. I've already started pulling apart the entire thing so I can do a professional painting of the frame, and re-clearing the fiberglass body. I just need to get a 3/4" lug wrench to pull the tires off so I can get to the last bolt holding the motor in. I am moderately mechanically inclined, I just don't have any knowledge on carbs. Looks like I'm about to though!

Thanks 3Queen, that's the short version of the story. But it sure takes me back to those days as a kid on a farm in Oklahoma. I have some crazy stories to tell about my Oklahoma summers. Things most people would consider just plain nuts!
    Last edited by BrandoB; 04-30-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: responding to additional post.

tvpierce is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    First off, welcome to the forum. I'm new also.

Second: great story!

Third: great 3 wheeler! That's a piece of history right there. Thanks for the photo.

Sounds like the low speed circuit in the carburetor is plugged. You can take it apart and clean it, but given the age and time it sat, you're very likely to encounter soft parts (an o-ring, a gasket or two, float needle) that need to be replaced. So I'd get a rebuild kit before you tear into it. You can still get carb rebuild kits for that engine. A local Kohler dealer may be able to help you.
    I know 8hp Kohlers were used on some Gravely walk-behind tractors. I have a Gravely 4 wheel tractor with a 12hp Kohler -- when I need parts I contact Richard's Lawn & Garden in West Virginia: http://www.gravelyparts.com/ They're great, and they ship anywhere.

You'll need the model and serial number from the engine. It should be on the shroud that goes over the flywheel -- I can see in the photo that you have it off now. You'll also need to know the type of carb on it. They used different carbs for different years & applications.

--
    Hello

If your tank is metal it is probably rust and should be cleaned you'll get sevetal suggestions how to do it.

The rubber tip on your carb needle and seat can get debris from tank so use a clear plastic filter.

See if tjere is a fuel pump or if tje gas line goes direct from tank to carb with nothing attached to it, fuel pumps dry out and go bad.

Your base gasket on your carb may break during disassembly, do not reseal with any sealer you can get a carb kit probably.

Get every number, letter and name off the carb and post it for us.

Might want to get it running right first to see what you have, motor, clutch etc.

--
    TVPIERCE thanks for the information! I have found 4 needles in haystacks, but nothing as far as parts go for this thing. I will be looking into GravelyParts.com with fingers crossed! All parts are here and intact, just not pictured. I have better pictures, but they are larger than allowed.

--
    Hello

Unfortunately I can't pull the photo up so I have no idea what the motor is other than what tvpierce said. If you put your photos on a site like flickr etc you can post the link in your post here. Many people also do a video to youtube.com and post the link. It's free

--
    Barnett468- Thanks for all the great info. I will see about posting the pics on flickr and will get you all the link if that happens. I will also get the information off of the carb. The fuel line goes directly from the gas tank to the carb and doesn't even have an inline filter of any kind (from what I can see).

**UPDATE** Ok, I apologize in advance for sounding like such a simpleton when it comes to this, but is the carb and throttle body one integral piece? The fuel line looks like it is entering in just below the throttle body. There's also a "bowl" looking area below the throttle body that is also a part of the unit. If this is correct, then there is a VERY FAINT "D" followed by numbers 231739. So that's D231739. I'm hoping this is the number you're referring to!
    Last edited by BrandoB; 04-30-2013 at 12:04 PM.

--
    Hello BrandoB

You are very welcome, look forward to pics. Suggest thorough tank clean prior to running again then since you can't install a filter. What ever you use to clean it you can also add a box of BB's and shake it around these will help break off the rust. Just don't get your tank cleaner on your clothes!

--
    Ok, I apologize in advance for sounding like such a simpleton when it comes to this, but is the carb and throttle body one integral piece? The fuel line looks like it is entering in just below the throttle body. There's also a "bowl" looking area below the throttle body that is also a part of the unit. If this is correct, then there is a VERY FAINT "D" followed by numbers 231739. So that's D231739. I'm hoping this is the number you're referring to!

*****Answered my own question.***** Didn't think to Google it. Sorry!
    Last edited by BrandoB; 04-30-2013 at 12:53 PM.

--
    It seems everyones first trike, whether you got it new or like me your younger and got it passed down, they always have an amazing story to go along with them. And why so many people regret selling their first trike.

--
    welcome to the boards! sounds like you have some sound advice from the rest of the community so far! get going man! enjoy it and be careful since these machines tend to multiply!
    TrikeFest 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 SandPuppie's Ride 07,08,09 Imperial Invasion 09, 13

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //