//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ATC 250SX Rear Shock Alternatives

Larry T Moore is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    then you can experiment and find a shock for us..*ahem*...rubinesque riders...lol!

--
    Well for the horizontally challenged, I think the red/gold shock is a good candidate. The shocks are here and later I'll be installing them but as I said before, I already have this shock on my Army trike and I'm happy with it. Id have to say that stiffness (hehehehehehe, he said stiffness) is a touch more than stock so a heavier rider would have a better suspension experience with this shock.

Larry T Moore is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    hhmmmmm...and whatta those run apiece?

--
    Well crap!!!!! I put the shocks on the Sheriff trike and it doesn't even perform like the one on my Army trike. Very little rebound so I tightened up the preload and that helped. I checked the charge in the res and very little Nitrogen so I recharged to 120psi. I also turned the end eye out so eye to eye was 14 3/8". Much better but still not the rebound Army trike has. I dunno..... maybe its ok but using Army as the example, not the same. I'm not sure where to go from here. One shock was worse than the other.

--
    Oh ya, and something is draining the battery on Sheriff trike. Last week I want to go start it and the starter barely turned. I pulled both batteries and charged them up and when I installed them, I switched batteries so that's two batteries its drained in a weeks time. I wonder if a bad regulator/rectifier could cause this?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingw View Post
    Oh ya, and something is draining the battery on Sheriff trike. Last week I want to go start it and the starter barely turned. I pulled both batteries and charged them up and when I installed them, I switched batteries so that's two batteries its drained in a weeks time. I wonder if a bad regulator/rectifier could cause this?
    You could use the automotive diag methods to find what is causing the drain. Hook up an ampmeter (or multi meater on the 10A inline mode) between the battery positive and the 3 wheeler positive wire. Check what the draw is on it with every thing off. There is no computer or anything, so it should be really close to 0, cars are allowed upto something like 0.015 amps or maybe it was 0.15 amps, something like that. If you have a high reading, unplug what you think is drawing the power, and see if the draw is effected.

Good luck on the electrical issue hunt!

--
    ya the book says to do that on the neg side and I did. My Army and Marine trikes were showing .070 - .080 millivolts but the sheriff trike between .170 - .210 millivolts. The reading on the other two trikes was consistent with everything plugged in or disconnected but on Sheriff trike, the reading dropped off to about .080 millivolts with the ignition switch disconnected and back up when reconnected. For the sake of selling these this weekend (Sheriff and Marine), I cannibalized the ignition switch off Army trike and installed it on Sheriff trike. If Army trikes battery drains in the next week, I'll know for sure.

Dave Little is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Great post Jim.

Anybody wanna go half with me on a set of the red/gold shocks? They're still here on Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/170969429624...84.m1438.l2649
    So your share would be $62.25 + shipping from NH
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    I`ll show you mine if you show me yours......i like the little clicks around here you`re so cute !! You guys need a bag ......for your tools ?

--
    I bought a set of these to use one of them on the Sheriff trike and they turned out to be too soft as compared to the stock shock. The one I bought a few years ago for my Army trike is perfect so it must have been a fluke.

Dave Little is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I kinda figured that reading the thread, because you didn't mention having to add nitrogen to the first red/gold shock purchased. Now after adding nitrogen to the second one you got you mentioned it helped along with adding preload...is that still the case that the second is now comparable to the first or has
    performance diminished with time in the saddle? I'm also a heavier rider than you at 240lbs with all my crap on. I'm in the middle of converting to a TRX swinger and since I have to fabricate a lower shock mount I might as well upgrade so the added leverage will, all other things remaining equal will make the shock seem softer still. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    I`ll show you mine if you show me yours......i like the little clicks around here you`re so cute !! You guys need a bag ......for your tools ?

--
    Its hard to say. The trike has been in the hands of the Sheriff I sold it to and he says he likes the softer ride but he's about 225 so I can't answer that. Mine hasn't changed since I installed it. I like it. Its a tad softer than stock but not too soft. I still have another up in the attic.

--
    I looked at this one. It has a 400lb spring rate but it would take a suspension guy to run the formula to determine is its compatible to the stock shock. It would help to know what spring rate the stock shock has.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-Rear-Sho...552f53&vxp=mtr

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    I looked at this one. It has a 400lb spring rate but it would take a suspension guy to run the formula to determine is its compatible to the stock shock. It would help to know what spring rate the stock shock has.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-Rear-Sho...552f53&vxp=mtr
    Hi Flyingw;

That spring is a "dual rate" [progressive wound] spring. Therefore it has a dual rating. They are only listing one rating so there is no way to tell exactly what it is.

Their info below is incomplete and therefore inaccurate etc.

"Pounds per Square Inch (spring rating) 400 lb/in"

--
    ya that is confusing.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    It would help to know what spring rate the stock shock has.
    No prob, EASY deal [maybe].

If your spring is straight wound [single rate] like the 85' model, you can do the following:

Find a hydraulic press.

Place a weight scale on the press table.

Place the spring on the scale.

Wrap a tie down through the spring and to the press so if it flies out it will not kill you.

Put on some safety glasses. [If I didn't say that someone would yell at me I know it, lol].

Compress the spring lightly until you get around 20 lbs of pressure on the scale.

Reset scale to 0.

Measure the height of the spring. If you compress it until you get an even number it will be easier to measure.

Compress the spring 3”.

Divide the weight on the scale by 3 and that is your spring rate.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //