//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: ATC 250SX Rear Shock Alternatives

--
    So I now have a choice.....

A. Purchase a 300EX shock off of our favorite auction site for roughly $50

or

B. Purchase a 2001 Raptor Shock for $100. The Raptor shock is a direct Bolt-on to the 300ex and therefore should work on the SX. It has to be a 2001 because that is the only year where they had a remote res on it. My feeling is the raptor shock has 3 adjustment points (preload, compression, and something else) which may be helpful in tuning it for the SX. It may also just end up being too stiff. Also, with all of those parts, it has more potential to fail over time assuming the one I receive is good.

Thoughts?

GSUwhiskers is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I wish I could choose one and you choose the other and we see which works better, but I'm too strapped at the moment for experimentation. I'm really glad you have taken such initiative though. So have you absolutely verified that a 300ex shock will fit a 250SX? I saw you mention having to fab some bushings?

--
    If you search deep in the bowels of the site, you find some interesting stuff!

In the last post of this thread, we have proof of someone running a 2001 raptor rear in an SX, but he claims in other threads that it's a little too stiff even at the softest settings. I'm 100% positive that the raptor shock is a direct bolt on to a 300ex and 99% sure that the 300ex will bolt in to the SX too.

The question now is in what will give the best ride. I do heavy trail riding, usually on rocky logging roads at higher speeds and want soft, but not bottoming out/dangerous soft

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Raptor+shock

GSUwhiskers is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    So what kind of riding is ideal for a stiff shock?

--
    More track, whoops, jumping type stuff which I've gotten too old for, although a stiffer setup can absorb some of the rocky terrain at higher speeds though.

--
    So I spent a little extra for a crispy clean 2008 300ex shock on eBay and it fit great with two spacer washers and some reducer bushings! I won't know how well it works until my first real trail ride, but it looks and feels very promising.

The original shock was mounted with the adjustment on the bottom and the 300ex shocks seem to be mounted with adjustment on the top, so I mounted it that way. Not sure if it was correct or not, so I'm open to feedback!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	200528

Views:	120 
Size:	993.2 KB 
ID:	200529

Views:	81 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	200530

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dreux13 View Post
    So I spent a little extra for a crispy clean 2008 300ex shock on eBay and it fit great with two spacer washers and some reducer bushings! I won't know how well it works until my first real trail ride, but it looks and feels very promising.

The original shock was mounted with the adjustment on the bottom and the 300ex shocks seem to be mounted with adjustment on the top, so I mounted it that way. Not sure if it was correct or not, so I'm open to feedback!

Views:	109 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	200528

Views:	120 
Size:	993.2 KB 
ID:	200529

Views:	81 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	200530
    How did it ride? I am looking to do this to my SX as well and will spend the extra cash for a clear newer 300ex shock but am fearful that the ride quality will not be worth it...

--
    I finally got a chance to ride it with the 300ex shock and it rode great! It was on a light track up at the New England trike fest at Backwoods. While the back end feels stiff to just push down on the grab bar, it soaks up everything when actually riding! Definitely a needed upgrade!

--
    It fit great with two spacer washers and some reducer bushings!
    Were the washers and bushings a standard size, or did you have to machine your own?

Glad the ride report came back good. The spring looks heavier, and compressed more, but it is progressive. Did you noticed your stock shock was adjusted to the stiffest setting?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Were the washers and bushings a standard size, or did you have to machine your own?

Glad the ride report came back good. The spring looks heavier, and compressed more, but it is progressive. Did you noticed your stock shock was adjusted to the stiffest setting?
    For once, I didn't need to do any machining! I simply bought the 12mm to 10mm reducers found here.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/12mm-o...-adapters.html

The washers were simply spare washers I had in my parts bin.

The stock shock was on its stiffest setting as well. Between the 200x forks, the 300ex shock, and my pro taper bars, this thing is so nice to ride!

--
    Thanks for the link and info, I'm tossing the idea around, but probably should look into getting new bearings first since it seems the swing arm bearings are pretty shot on my machine.

--
    Has anyone tried the 300ex shock on an 85 Big Red?
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    I'll have to take a look at one of my sx's i bought a few years ago. It has a red shock on it. It might be a ex shock...
    Current Trikes
    2 1985 Honda 250sx
    1985 Big Red
    2 1983 YTM 200k's. 1 for parts.
    KLT 250 Prairie
    1982 Honda 185 - Waiting to be saved
    1985 125m Parts Machine

Still on the hunt for a 1986 350x and 250r.

--

Side by side comparison of a 01 raptor 660 shock and a 250sx shock.
    Sadly the raptor shock doesnt just bolt on. Theres some clearance issues for the top mount

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

--
    use a stock 300ex one. It will be way better

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //