//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1982 Honda ATC 185s Rebuild

--
    Another question, what's an easy way the check timing and valve clearance before I put everything back on the bike?
    Any other pre-assembly check list items? Gonna try to find a gasket in town for exhaust and put together this weekend.

Photos:

Cleaned and Primed Forks

Painted Forks

Crank Breather Tube/filter and Carb Filter

Frame: First layer of Black

Engine Painted Black - Pre Clear Coat

Original Unpainted forks in background
    Last edited by Amazon3d; 06-21-2013 at 04:04 PM.

--
    Man, who says you need a shop to do a trike rebuild! Perfect example of "where there's a will there's a way."

Anyways good work and looking forward to seeing the final product!
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    What color/brand of red paint are you using? Looks like a pretty good match in the pictures!!!

As for your LED comment... You got plenty of power to run a bright LED or a pair. I have a pair of 27w LEDs on mine total draw is about 4a, you could easily get by with one 27w LED Flood, they are insanely bright. The nice thing about these LED lights is they have an operating range of 10-30v so even at idle they are bright and only getting brighter as rpm goes up and you get more output from the alternator.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Walmart paint, gloss black. After talking to my dad about it maybe I shouldn't have painted the top end with regular gloss.

What light do you have on yours? Still waiting on exhaust.

Hoping to finish the paint tomorrow and start assembly.

--
    What color is the red though?

I have a 27w LED Flood and a 27w LED Pencil on my 200ES, i bought them off ebay. The flood really gives good close coverage and the pencil beam gives you that nice long reach high beam light. When the light switch is on low beam its the stock low beam headlight, when i go to high beam that shuts off and the LED's turn on. Way more light than a stock high beam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120612_210945.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	171619
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Its red? - Fire Red according to small label.

Doesn't have a hexadecimal color code on it lol.

What size is the bearings in the steering collar? I'm missing 2. (40 total I count in my box)
    Last edited by Amazon3d; 06-22-2013 at 02:58 PM.

--
    Bad news, broke bolt on carburetor, also cant get it out, tried with pipe wrench, think I cross-threaded it and snapped. (screw was hard to put in to begin with.)
    Engine painted, make-shift air boot (1 1/4" PVC no hub), Carburetor on, Air filter, Crank Breather filter.

Frame Painted
    Last edited by Amazon3d; 06-22-2013 at 09:38 PM.

--
    Almost Complete, just need the exhaust in and it will be ready for tuning.
    The Chain was a pain in the bleeper to get on.

--
    I could be wrong, but I think your rear tires are on backwards.

Nice to see your build coming together! Paint your rims and re-cover the seat would be a nice finish.
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    Yes, rims are on backwards, kinda did that on purpose.
    Seat cannot be recovered (if you take apart the seat it will brake the screws).
    Rims..... Well they will get repainted in time, very hard to get that rust off.

--
    I've never had a steering stem apart, how hard was it to put back together? Also, where did you find the two missing ball bearings?

--
    Was much easier than I thought it would be.
    You grease the bottom race inside and the fork race.
    You put the balls (21) around the race in the grease (though I had 20 on top and bottom because I lost 2)
    With steady hands slide the shaft into the neck and push until it seals. (should have the bike on its back/rack, makes it easier)
    Grease the top race and the race ring, put the top 21 balls on it and slide it down the shaft, again with steady hands or you may end up with contaminants on the bearings. (I won't go into how I know this :P)
    Push the top races together good then place your cover on and screw it down fairly tight (but don't over-tighten).

It takes a lot of patients and a steady hand to do it but in the end it's worth it.

--
    Looking good! Just a hint on that crankcase breather though... I have the EXACT same one on mine because i hated the stock setup with the hoses and plastic T... BUT, don't put it on the way you did. Take a short piece of hose and put that on the motors hose nipple and then get a male to male hose barb to put the filter on the other end so you can hang it pointing down behind the motor. Why?? Cause its a perfect damn rain funnel! I found out the hard way, thankfully i was going out to change oil the day after a heavy rainfall, i got water and oil when i drained it and realized that filter was the culprit. Since making an extension for it and aiming it down no problems whatsoever and the oil stays a lot cleaner than it did with the stock breather setup that could suck in dust.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Funny thing is that's the way I had it at first but the hose was so tight on the nipple I couldn't get it down all the way.
    But I will return the setup to way you mentioned.

--
    Tight is not a bad thing... The tighter the better for a good seal regardless of hose clamp. If you can't get it to go down all the way heat the end of the hose by dipping it in boiling water and then push it on, it will flex more hot and go right on and once its cooled down that sucker is on there! I do it with a hot air gun all the time to if you have one.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //