//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Old Three Wheeler Racing

Poco Loco is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Well Mr. Wizard, shame on you for comparing me to Micky. I should reach rite through my monitor and B-slap you one. Yes I never raced pro, but I have smoked a few on the track while racing. At least I can back up my claims with proof. Im not hiding anything. I cant say the same for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    poco loco

Correct me if I'm wrong but you NEVER rode a PRO race of any kind in your life from what I can tell by your comments, and your comment appears to me that you might be suggesting you are a "player"! If in fact that's the case, that's ridiculous IMO. Whether I like him or not, Mickey Dunlap was at least a player and helped generate interest in the sport in some way so if you are suggesting in the least, that you are in any way, even remotely near the same level as he is regarding racing knowledge and skill level, I think that might even make him laugh, at least it does me.
    Shart Guard .......Use it !

Pink Powerwheels Barbie trike

Wamo Big Wheel with a solid trikecycle front tire

Mini bike 3hp Briggs and Stratton with cambells soup can exhaust

Schwinn stingray with coaster brakes

1985 Crash and Burn champ

1st place National Endo Championship

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Dunlap View Post
    By “Player” I think he means these guy on this forum know more about the 3 wheeling world then myself or any of the old racers put together. They even corrected me a few times on some facts when my mind farted,which happen more and more each year. Some of these guy are on a whole different level as far as knowing the facts and history of 3 wheeling,they eat sleep and live this stuff,big time players.

Ok, so Mickey Dunlap says you guys know more than him etc. etc. As mentioned, I won’t question that. Here’s a chance to prove if you are a “Player” by showing how much you know.

Since Mickey Dunlap may know or can guess at least part of the answer and since this is about what you guys know and not about what he knows I hope he can reserve his comments and let you guys figure it out on your own otherwise there’s no point to the challenge. ,

A few also believe that for some reason if I post any photo, of any one, riding any off road bike, it will somehow “prove” I worked at Kawi and I raced the PRO class, etc, etc.

Well, since some of you seem to want it sooooo bad it might keep you up at night, and you are even half as good as Mickey Dunlap says you are, here’s a chance to "kill 2 birds with one stone". The first part is EASY, and ALL you need to do is find one measly photo, and I’ll even give you some HUGE hints as to where to find it. If you can’t figure the first part out with all the hints I have provided I simply don’t know what to say.

Simply finding the photo is NOT the major part of the challenge, since the only thing that will prove, other than I worked at Kawi and raced as a pro according to some of you, is that whoever posts a photo of it simply has WAY too many old magazines lying around.

Also, for the zillionth time, even if someone figures my name out it will mean nothing to them simply because I am NOT famous like Jimmy White or Dean Sundahl, so get over it and give up. How many “names” of Rand D employees from Kawi, Honda, Yamaha and/or Suzuki does ANYONE [besides possibly Mickey Dunlap] know that worked at any of these places from 1981-1988 or at ANYTIME for that matter? I’m just another non famous, working guy, that was fortunate enough to have raced a bit and have a cool job at a cool place, nothing less, nothing more.

It appears that with the exception of Joseph Farrow, Mickey Dunlap and possibly a few others here that no one else is providing their real name. Why not? There also appears IMO, to either be a double standard [hypocritical] or possibly merely a difference of opinion as to whether someone has to post their name so they can “prove” they did this and that, and that they are simply not a computer program. This is evidenced by one member saying “i whited out his name and city for his own privacy.” What’s up with that? See full quote below.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
    that picture of the guy on the trike is Poco Loco. photo is in DirtWheels late 80's. i whited out his name and city for his own privacy.

It just seems strange to me that someone who claims he raced, and whose friend tries to protect the privacy of, does not disclose his own name yet sounds so vehemently determined to try and force and goad me into telling him what my name is. These things are evidenced by the quotes posted below the “TEST/CHALLENGE”.

TEST/CHALLENGE

Look in your stacks of old National magazines for a photo of 2 Tecates riding side by side. It’s taken of their left side from around a 50’ elevation with a telephoto lens at Saddleback Park and it was about 4-8 weeks prior to the official release of the bikes so now you should know what months to search in. I don’t think the riders names are in the text, and the caption says something like “spy photo of new Kawasaki 3 wheelers at Saddleback Park”.

I am one of the riders so tell me the following:

1. What is my name?

2. What is the name of the other rider?
    Here’s a hint, he was a top 10 125 National PRO MX rider from Hollister California around 1981.

3. Are these bikes both the same?

4. Are they concept vehicles built to determine the viability of mfg them, or prototype vehicles, or pre production vehicles or production vehicles.

5. What became of them?

6. Post the photo and accompanying text.

The following are merely a few quotes from this thread. With the exception of manbearpibs post at the bottom which I abbreviated, all are presented in their entirety with no alterations whatsoever.

Poco Loco's photo request starts out benign enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco Loco View Post
    Barnnett and Joesph, you guys should dig up some old pics and put them on. Would be nice to to see the old stuff.

My reply
    Hello Poco Loco Unfortunately, I never took any because I though there would always be another day to do that if I wanted but I bought a couple from the local track photographer but unfortunately lost them. I just wasn't really one for having pictures of that stuff or myself but I love looking at others. The pictures I do have I can't post, lol.

Then he INSTANTLY gets EXTREMELY negative and abrasive for absolutely no reason whatsoever IMO.
    Barnett, all that racing history and not 1 pic? WTF? Your kidding me. Somethings fishy here...I never knew a guy who raced and doesnt have a pic of it. Garage pics of you and your trikes, rec riding at the local spot, a shot at the pits with other team members....nothing?

This is before my next reply.
    What no reply at all ??? Dude your profile has nothing at all. Not even a shred of information...Hmmm. At least photoshop something....

This is also before my next reply, notice the word “bullsht” in his text.
    Are you a ghost writer of fiction novels?..........I might have been born in the night, but it wasn't last night.....Im calling bullsht on all of this.

This is my terrible, horrible, vicious, sarcastic, aggressive, antagonistic, abrasive, evil, wicked, nasty, reply to him after the nice things he said. I guess I should apologize for unnecessarily responding so badly to his “courteous” posts.
    Nope, like I said, what ever photos I did have were sadly lost, around 40 years worth of them to be more specific. I am also not a narcissist like others so that's why I didn't have people going around chasing me with a camera.

Poco Loco's reply
    No worries. Im sure all your racing friends will post some pics of you working with all your race teams. There should be hundreds of photos out there. you know everybody. They have all the pics.....Throw us a frickin bone here...

These are Poco Loco's last 2 posts which were made AFTER HOWDY's and AFTER I quit replying to him or referring to him in my posts. IMO these posts are still unnecessarily sarcastic and abrasive etc.
    Well it looks like Dorthy just ran up and slid the curtin open on the "Great Wizard Of Oz". I guess if you cant muster up 1 pic from many years of pro wrenchin and racin and hangin at the pits and riding at the local track with many of the pro or even the low life riders like myself, you might raise a few eyebrows on these tales. So I guess were supose to just have to give you a free pass on all the incredable stories you have enlightened us with...well Im a show me kinda guy...Im kinda simple..Not too flashy....I lil short on the vocab and schoolin. But, I do know when theres sumpin fishy. And let me tell ya... I can smell it.

Well Mr. Wizard, shame on you for comparing me to Micky. I should reach rite through my monitor and B-slap you one. Yes I never raced pro, but I have smoked a few on the track while racing. At least I can back up my claims with proof. Im not hiding anything. I cant say the same for you.
    He claims to not be hiding anything in his post above, I guess that’s because he has his friends hide things for him as evidenced by the post below. I also never compared him to Mickey, that would be simply incredulous IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
    that picture of the guy on the trike is Poco Loco. photo is in DirtWheels late 80's. i whited out his name and city for his own privacy.

BTW – I’ve forwarded the above quotes as well as others to one of the sites moderators as they have instructed me to do with posts that I feel are offensive and/or are from other members that make UNWARRANTED, UNPROVOKED, FIRST STRIKE abrasive and/or sarcastic etc. remarks towards me.

--
    Barnett, your posts are too long.

I quit reading most threads you respond to because of this, and all of the drama that results. Your defensive style is very familiar too. It's almost as if you're a previously banned 3ww member, who's returned under the guise of an alias to have some fun. I call BS.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

Poco Loco is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Jesus Mr. Wizard, you sure are a long winded one.... Out.
    Last edited by Poco Loco; 07-09-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: I addressed him by Barnett, Hes the Wizard of Oz.
    Shart Guard .......Use it !

Pink Powerwheels Barbie trike

Wamo Big Wheel with a solid trikecycle front tire

Mini bike 3hp Briggs and Stratton with cambells soup can exhaust

Schwinn stingray with coaster brakes

1985 Crash and Burn champ

1st place National Endo Championship

--
    Barnett, please keep me out of your posts. It's not that you didn't work at Kawasaki,or that you don't want people to know your name,it's just the way you talk and act. I know you have always been this way but as old as you are you should be able to see why everyone gives you crap. From those that did know you as "the skinny long blond hair squirrel guy" they are not surprised you still act this way.I know you feel like you have to be Mr. Know it all but it really turns these guys off! Whoops did I give away a hint on which guy you are in the pic? I don't have the mag.,but I remember the pic for some reason.

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Barnett, please keep me out of your posts.
    Hello so and so, I will not mention your name anymore in my posts as you request and I’m not bothered by your request for me to do so. If I slip up it’s only because I forgot. I also have no intention or desire to debate anything with you or ruffle your fesathers.

It's not that you didn't work at Kawasaki,or that you don't want people to know your name,
    Well, that's an interesting comment because that was not your opinion the last time we exchanged pleasantries and now you've gone and ruined it for all the doubters that wanted to believe more than anything that I was lying, lol, so something obviously changed your mind since then. I guess you finally reached somebody since then to confirm I worked there because as far as I remember even though my name appears several times in a magazine or two over the years there is no reference to me working at Kawi in any of them, but there was occasionally a few magazine spies around that we always tried to avoid but if they talked to the local riders they might have mentioned something since some of the track regulars new me from my MX days.

it's just the way you talk and act.
    That’s your opinion which I recognize you have a right to and I have no desire to argue the point.

I know you have always been this way
    Again, no argument or negative remarks from me, but I know that you personally don’t know anything about me so anything you say in this regard is simply info you have garnered from reading and interpreting my posts on the site or by talking to others that know me which again would be their subjective opinion just like the positive opinions my friends have are. If you ever talked to me in person I'm sorry, bit I don't remember it however if that's the case i'd love to know when and where.

as old as you are
    Yeah, thanks for reminding me that I’m no spring chicken and not getting any younger, lol.

you should be able to see why everyone gives you crap.
    I don’t care what the people that make first strike unwarranted, unprovoked, attacks against me say or think about me. I’ve never been like that and never had any friends that were because I choose to distance myself from people like that. What some people do here, is try and turn around my occasional reply to those attacks ie., abrasive comments etc., around and somehow hope that they can convince others that I was the aggressor. Unfortunately for me that seems to work pretty well for them with others that are either unwilling and/or incapable of forming their own opinion. Also, unfortunately for those that think and/or hope I have no friends I have many PM’s from many new and long time members that see what’s really going on and are supportive of me.

From those that did know you as "the skinny long blond hair squirrel guy" they are not surprised you still act this way.
    LOL, Wonder who told you that, it would be interesting to know. I would appreciate it if you would PM but if you don't want to that's fine with me to. It's just kind of fun to know who still might be around from the "old" days since there seems to be fewer of us left as time goes by.

I know you feel like you have to be Mr. Know it all
    Again that’s just your opinion which you are positing as a fact. I have no doubt that a few others may share it but ANYONE that really knows me well knows that couldn’t be farther from the truth. You can’t get to know everything about a person simply by reading their comments on the internet.

but it really turns these guys off!
    Same reply as above.

Whoops did I give away a hint on which guy you are in the pic?
    That’s ok, they still don’t know my name and since it sounds like you probably know it by now, you realize why there is no point for me to tell anyone what it is simply because they wouldn’t know it, much less be able to pronounce it, lol. Also, if you do know it, thanks for not posting it.

I don’t remember the photo well but it would have to be a good size telephoto to blow it up big enough to see my hair, lol. I don’t know if you ever went there but they took it from the top edge of the bowl track where I beat Jimmie and I think Marty Hart and Donnie Luce [sorry, couldn't help but throw that in] in the short track race and got passed by Marty Hart in a TT race there on another occasion, like I was standing still, lol.

I don't have the mag.,but I remember the pic for some reason.
    Hey, look on the bright side, your memory isn’t as bad as you suggested it was, lol.

--
    If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck ,it's a duck.

I talk with a lot of people in the industry because there are a lot of us still in this industry.In talking with them they gave their view of you. Trust me I was being nice the way I said it on here. And no I'm not going to PM you. You told me to ask everyone about you and I did. Did you ever wonder why you were let go,my guess is no because you don't really hear what people are telling you so you really can't understand it. You really have no clue and you are too old to change now.

Yes I raced SaddleBack,I won the championship their for Honda in 84',The Baja Cross,Jimmy got second over all. That was the last race there.

If you want to keep posting your little dribble back and forth then I will give out your name,then they can look into your back ground a little more. I would stop now if I were you,this is not what this forum is for.

--
    Okay back to the OP's question. In the early days you had several different promoters putting on what would be considered Nationals. You had Score/Coyote Racing/Baja Tri Cross (3Wheeling Magazine) and others, mostly located on the West coast. It was not until the AMA/AATVA got involved and started what is now considered National races.
    It was up to the promoter to determine the classes. I found a program from the 1983 Off Road USA Odyssey-3 Wheeler Championships at Santa Cruz. It is what was going on at the time in regardes to a National type race.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATC STuff 001.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	172755

Name:	ATC STuff 002.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	172756

As you can see there was a "Pro" 125/200/250/Open class. But the main classes thru to the end were the 200 and 250 class both in Amateur and Pro.

You have to remember that back in the 80's it is not like today.... Unless you were a camera freak you really didn't take pictures. Now day's everyone has cameras on their phones.

Here is a picture of Mickey "D" for ya. (He won the Main ahead of Curtis, Marty, and Steve)

Name:	ATC STuff 021.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	172757

Some early Kawasaki Days (Jimmies first season on the Kawasaki)

Name:	ATC STuff 006.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	172758

Name:	ATC STuff 007.jpg 
Views:	112 
ID:	172759

Also for all you Jackie Meadows fans who thought he only raced Kawasakis. Check out "Big" Jack with Jackies Tricky Dicks Conversion CR Honda.

Name:	ATC STuff 022.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	172760
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

--
    There you go,back on track.

That looks like the 218cc I got 6th or something in the 250 class,first non Factory rider. I ran the 18 inch tires to hook up better with the more torque on that one with the Gold rims I think. Honda must have started buying me off by then so I had the gold rims,just didn't go Red yet. lol

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Farrow View Post
    Okay back to the OP's question. In the early days you had several different promoters putting on what would be considered Nationals. You had Score/Coyote Racing/Baja Tri Cross (3Wheeling Magazine) and others, mostly located on the West coast. It was not until the AMA/AATVA got involved and started what is now considered National races.
    It was up to the promoter to determine the classes. I found a program from the 1983 Off Road USA Odyssey-3 Wheeler Championships at Santa Cruz. It is what was going on at the time in regardes to a National type race.

As you can see there was a "Pro" 125/200/250/Open class. But the main classes thru to the end were the 200 and 250 class both in Amateur and Pro.
    Thank you for returning to the OG question, and for not actin like an @$$ like some people.(Names won't be mentioned be we all know who, *COUGH* barnett468 *COUGH*) That is the kind of info I was looking for.

PS: Barnett, are you replying to the post or writing a novel? Your posts are LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NGGGGGGGGGG

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Farrow View Post

You have to remember that back in the 80's it is not like today.... Unless you were a camera freak you really didn't take pictures. Now day's everyone has cameras on their phones.

Here is a picture of Mickey "D" for ya. (He won the Main ahead of Curtis, Marty, and Steve)

Name:	ATC STuff 021.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	172757

Some early Kawasaki Days (Jimmies first season on the Kawasaki)

Name:	ATC STuff 006.jpg 
Views:	170 
ID:	172758

Name:	ATC STuff 007.jpg 
Views:	112 
ID:	172759

Also for all you Jackie Meadows fans who thought he only raced Kawasakis. Check out "Big" Jack with Jackies Tricky Dicks Conversion CR Honda.

Name:	ATC STuff 022.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	172760
    Awesome stuff Joe ! Thanx for posting.My Question is this. How many States did you see the week prior and the week after that pic Mickey? Most will never know the dedication he and many others put into this effort. A TON of traveling.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Awesome stuff Joe ! Thanx for posting.My Question is this. How many States did you see the week prior and the week after that pic Mickey? Most will never know the dedication he and many others put into this effort. A TON of traveling.
    My answer is I don't remember all the states I went through,but the trips always started in Bend Or. I know in 83' I put 32,000 miles on my truck traveling all over the west coast as far as Houston TX., but Powroll drove their van there because they didn't like me going that far by myself. That was also the 3RD race I had gone to with in a short time and the time spent driving and not out riding started to show up on the track,and I couldn't hang on so I got 2nd place. Second place SUCKS!

Living in OR. in 84' was costing Honda too much money in travel,every time they wanted me in Cal. for testing it took me 24 hours to drive there with my bikes. That's why they said I had to move to Cal. for 85'. I liked OR. better then so Cal.,it's a cool place to visit,but I didn't like living there. I had mover to Ventura Cal. in 82' to race,but the cost of living was too high for me at that time to make a living racing. I had a job at Ventura Honda but I was taking off too much time to go racing so they let me go after a long weekend and I didn't get back until Tuesday. I was coming back to tell them I was moving back to Washington so it didn't matter. It was the only job I was ever let go at so it still hurt a little. lol

Went back to Washington to work at another Honda shop,lasted about 4 months before I went to Powroll to get my 200x engine built and ended up calling the Honda shop saying I wouldn't be back.lol That was my last real job working 9 to 5. lol

--
    + All the East coast stuff. Fla, Pa, Ny Ohio,,, There's a really good reason there were only a few factory riders. It took almost beyond human dedication. Look at the Awesome racers in this thread alone who never got a factory ride and probably would have loved too !
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    + All the East coast stuff. Fla, Pa, Ny Ohio,,, There's a really good reason there were only a few factory riders. It took almost beyond human dedication. Look at the Awesome racers in this thread alone who never got a factory ride and probably would have loved too !
    I didn't go east in 83'. In 84' I went to my first race for Honda in NY. Then to one race in Ia. that I wasn't invited to go by Honda because they said it was to far for me to drive and they didn't have room for my 2 stroke in the trailer. So me being the way I am,I bought a plane ticket and showed up anyway. Then I borrowed one of Powroll's sponsored riders 200x and went out and beat everyone on the two strokes.Just happen to be a better 4 stroke track. Honda wasn't happy with me showing up and then winning against our $30,000 two strokes with a borrowed bike. lol

It wasn't until 85 that we went to OH.,by then I was back on my 200x that you have now. My last race for Kawasaki was in FL.,but I try to forget about that race.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //