//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My Honda 350X Restoration

--
    We're waitin.

--
    This thing looks awesome! Like the little story as well. Was most of that spray painted or powdercoated because that gas tank looks AMAZING lol.. Good job, can't wait to see the finished product!
    1986 250r - Fully rebuilt from the ground up!
    - http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ATC-250r-Build
    1985 Tri Z - Next project!
    1982 250r - Sold
    1983 Auto X - Sold
    1984 Auto X - Sold
    1985 200M - Sold
    1985 YTM 125 - Sold
    1985 185 - Sold
    1984 185 - Sold

1/21/2013 - RIP Grandpa Rosa, great man, will be missed.. Love you

Check out my feedback:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-CodyRosa

--
    Thanks very much !

Gas Tank (body work and paint), frame and swing arm I all had done professionally done at the paint shop. The pegs I send out and got powder coated.
    I sanded, primer acid etched and painted the new kicker, rear brake assembly arm and front caliper myself as well as clearing them also.

--
    Awesome story,great work,and your love for this bike shows in your work. Thanx for sharing !!! Great thread! How can you top this lol ? ! Can't wait to see her finished in all her glory.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    This thread mades me soooo excited to do a rebuild! I bought a 85 250r frame off a member here that's not in the best shape, needs paint.. I figure its the perfect project!

How much roughly was that frame,swingarm, and footpegs to get painted? I think I was quoted 300 bucks for frame, swingarm, foot pegs. I think but I don't remember as that was awhile ago.
    1982 250r - Sold
    1983 Auto X - Sold
    1984 Auto X - Sold
    1985 200M - Sold
    1985 YTM 125 - Sold
    1985 185 - Sold
    1984 185 - Sold

Check out my feedback:

--
    that trike is going to look BAD man. =D cool story too.

--
    Tank- You might not be able to tell but the tank alone has nine hours in it, (from me and the paint shop) it was weak at the bottom and after sanding her down at home a couple wet spots appeared. You can see in the tank photos when I have it to the printshop I marked where the leaks were. I had to get it fixed because the plastic tanks just don't compare in shape, size or dimensions... They simply just don't look right and to do this one right... Well, I didn't give myself any option but to get it fixed right and live with cost, lol. When all was said and done he cut me a deal and they fixed the tank, reshaped it, painted and cleared for $200.

The frame- the paint shop was nice enough to let me sand blast it using their equipment so save me some money and mostly because sand blasting something that size is a PAin in the rump. Lol. When it was all said and done it cost me $115 to get painted.

Swingarm was a PAIN. I had to tear it down somewhat and prep it for them because it wasn't really something they do- but once it was done it was $75.

All in all it might have cost a little more the way I did it but to do it right I will live with it

The pegs were $80 to get done btw, almost forgot.

I'm glad you guys enjoy the story and the effort I've put into it. It actually means a lot when people recognize the hard work that goes Into something like this. Can't buy parts hardly and the ones you do find need refurbished or painted or polished. I can't wait to see you get started on the 250!! That might be my next project, they were a bad machine!!!

Thanks,
    Jamie

ScreaminRed is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Hey, take your time, do it right, i can wait. Thank u for sharing! Just looking on my phone now
    , but will check all your pics on a larger screen tomorrow.
    '83 Big Red
    '85 350X
    '86 350X
    '06 CBR1000
    '08 Road King
    '11 Electra glide Ultra Classic

My feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...or-ScreaminRed

--
    Oh wow.. 9 hours!! I had like 2 in mine, mine came out pretty good. Yours.. i just stared at it haha, the paint just looks amazing. Same thing happened with mine with the wetspots. Honestly that 200 bucks seems well worth it, tank looks better than new =D I sandblasted mine... terrible lol took forever. Pretty sure whoever quoted me was going to sandblast it for me as well. Yea it's probably going to be awhile but I'm very excited!

Good luck with your build!
    1982 250r - Sold
    1983 Auto X - Sold
    1984 Auto X - Sold
    1985 200M - Sold
    1985 YTM 125 - Sold
    1985 185 - Sold
    1984 185 - Sold

Check out my feedback:

Larry T Moore is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 6speedthumper View Post
    Super cool story, man. Larry can bring all the chips and soda he wants... I'm bringin beer! More pics and progress report would be cool.
    I was being cool in case the under 21 was crowd was watching..and then its jack and coke..this bike is sweeeeeeeeeeeettttt!!!

--
    I like the Captain with a little coke! He is my friend and a trike fan also!! Hahaha

--
    I made my signature, is it working?
    Jamie
    Maryland, USA

1986 350X restored
    2011 Polaris 850 Sportsman Limited Edition
    2012 Ford Raptor

ScreaminRed is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I don't know if your gonna want to get it dirty when it's done! Its going to be one of the cleanest for sure. I think I need to invest
    in a ryobi polishing wheel!
    '83 Big Red
    '85 350X
    '86 350X
    '06 CBR1000
    '08 Road King
    '11 Electra glide Ultra Classic

My feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...or-ScreaminRed

--
    That little ryobi is like 80 bucks and the sandpaper is cheap baby! The forks probably turned out the best of all, I was amazed how they turned out considering how bad they were when I started. The other part I used this stuff called Aircraft paint remover... You put it on with a small paint brush and the paint (or whatever it was) bubbled up and washed right off, just wear rubber gloves and a mask, it's some nasty strong stuff. Also a small dremel with tiny polishing wheel attachments was key to getting into those tight spots... The best part is watching it start to Pop! It really is satisfying to actually see the hard work u put in actually show. But yeah, any of you guys can make your alum parts look just like these, it don't take long at all, I think I spent 3-4 hours sanding and polishing on each fork... The hardest part was getting the clear off the forks and triple tree assembly... I had to use a scotch bright pad and brake cleaner... It actually worked great and took that clearcoat right off so I could get to sanding the alum itself. As far as sandpaper I used I started with 320, then 400, then 600 and finished with a 1000.... It all polished up from there using the wheel. I hope this helps guys.

As far as getting it dirty, lol, I dont think this will EVER see any mud or dirt for that matter. Haha, I might just putt around the yard a little and just look at it! I might have to build another one to actually ride, lmao.
    Last edited by Jrash77; 07-17-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Dirty bike
    Jamie
    Maryland, USA

1986 350X restored
    2012 Ford Raptor

--

Tank added

Tank added
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	173501   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	71 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	173502   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	73 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	173503   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	91 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	173504  
    Jamie
    Maryland, USA

1986 350X restored
    2012 Ford Raptor

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //