//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: YTM-225DX twisted swing arm

--

YTM-225DX twisted swing arm

So today I went ahead and I started the disassembly of my YTM-225DX. Since I bought it I notice the bike was always leaning on the right. Sometimes I thought the frame was bent, some other time it was the neck of the frame but now I'm 100% positive that it was due to a bent swing arm. Look at the picture, once disassembled it is obvious. I have a spare swing arm I bought 5 years ago, but I just saw that the previous mechanic installed two brass bushing over the swing arm pivot bearing cup. I achieved to remove the bushing but the old conical cup are stilll there. Also while disassembling I saw that the nut holding the driveshaft u-joint was loose. I'm lucky it didn't became undone before this.

I also have to change the driveshaft oil seal, add some missing o-rings and change all the rear axle bearings and I think I'll have to take the engine apart because the base gasket is leaking oil. This is the first time I'll take the top-end apart on this 3-wheeler. Maybe it will be time for a new piston. I think the original piston is still in. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0062[1].JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	174358

1984 Yamaha YTM-225DX
    1985 Tri-Z 1985 Tecate 1984 Tri-Zinger and 1986 ATC250R projects
    Yamaha 3-wheeler owners club Join now!
    Official 3WW Yamaha 3-wheeler owners group
    Québec 3-wheeler riders group

--
    I dont see too many people with a DX, you happen to have a link to a manual? Im in the process of teardown for a rebuild.

--

1984 Yamaha YTM-225DX

Husky250 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I've read somewhere of some guys putting Timberwolf rear ends on these. You might want to look into something like that.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Husky250 View Post
    I've read somewhere of some guys putting Timberwolf rear ends on these. You might want to look into something like that.
    I already have a good spare swing arm. I removed the old bearing race last night. The chance are that even if I manage to find a timberwolf rear and I would still have to replace all the bearings. I know the timberwolf engine are similar to the 225.

1984 Yamaha YTM-225DX

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
    I already have a good spare swing arm. I removed the old bearing race last night. The chance are that even if I manage to find a timberwolf rear and I would still have to replace all the bearings. I know the timberwolf engine are similar to the 225.
    Only the top end of the timberwolf will fit on the dx, they both have a different drive, Fabio on here showed the differences between the engines they say will fit, ill see if I can find the thread for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdy View Post
    Yea, looked like a monkey ******* a football. LMAO
    Howdy

Currently Own-

84 250R My Baby/Project
    83 Yamaha 225dx
    79 Honda Twinstar - Big Ole Turd

Heres My Feedback Page
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...for-ColtonGG33

--
    Little video I made during the disassembly. Notice the absence of gas tank, and rear end, but it still run!

Quote Originally Posted by ColtonGG33 View Post
    Only the top end of the timberwolf will fit on the dx, they both have a different drive, Fabio on here showed the differences between the engines they say will fit, ill see if I can find the thread for you.
    I don't saw this post. But I know the top end is very similar. To call it a 250cc Yamaha just installed a first overbore piston. So the bore is bigger than the 225dx.

1984 Yamaha YTM-225DX

--
    There's no video?
    Howdy

Currently Own-

84 250R My Baby/Project
    83 Yamaha 225dx

Heres My Feedback Page

--
    It says it's "private"

--
    you have your youtube account set for private you gotta go into to settings? i think and change it to public
    Howdy

Currently Own-

84 250R My Baby/Project
    83 Yamaha 225dx

Heres My Feedback Page

Husky250 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Good info guys!

--
    The video should work now. But it nothing special, just find it funny to have a half disassembled 3 wheeler still in running condition.

1984 Yamaha YTM-225DX

--
    yfm 200 moto4 rear swingarm,diff and ale are the same , I swapped a spare ytm setup into a yfm and they r identical and easier to find, a lot of parts interchange on them between the two. just saying for reference. and speaking of manuals for reference I have a Clymer full color manual for the ytm and yfms and figured it might be of some help to others but I dnt know how to upload photos to this site yet.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yammerhammer88 View Post
    yfm 200 moto4 rear swingarm,diff and ale are the same , I swapped a spare ytm setup into a yfm and they r identical and easier to find, a lot of parts interchange on them between the two. just saying for reference. and speaking of manuals for reference I have a Clymer full color manual for the ytm and yfms and figured it might be of some help to others but I dnt know how to upload photos to this site yet.
    Use a site like photobucket. Upload it to there. Copy the code they give you (Will be for forums and start with [IMG]). Post the code here and there you have it. You can upload to photobucket from mobile devices which i like, and you can edit pictures there.

OR, you could post a reply, like i am doing now and look at all the options on the top of the box your typing in, click on the square picture thing 3 over from the right. Hover over it and it will say image. That will upload your image as an attachment.

--
    What swing arms fit the 86 ytm 225drs?I'm having a hard time finding..dealer says only 85 and 86 drs are a match?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //