//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tri z Keihin 38 mm carb throttle cable triz 86

--

tri z Keihin 38 mm carb throttle cable triz 86

Hi All, i have not posted for a while,been busy over the pond here in the uk,started to work on the tri z again just got her a keihin 38mm pwk carb very nice as well,just got a few questions on fitting it,i have noticed on some other threads that pro motion offer a special throttle cable to fit the atc r ,so you dont have to change the thumb throttle is there such an option avaiable for the tri z,Also it is currantly running a 168 main jet, bike is standard apart from boysen reeds and +1 over size just had a full rebuid, any pointers on jet size or any thing else i should be aware of thanks in advance Brewy

fitting
    TRI Z 85 SOLD 95-96
    TRIZ 86 2013-KEEPER

--
    50-52 pilot, 165-170 main, cel needle. PROBLEM IS...if you are still running the fuel pump, you will probably run into flooding issues with this carb at idle, because it is not ment for a fuel pump. it has a large inlet needle to allow gravity to fill the bowl in a reasonable time, but when you hook a fuel pump to it, the pressure will overcome the inlet needle becasue it has a large surface area....causing flooding. I run 39pwks from snowmobiles, cause they are the only PWKs you can buy with a small inlet needle made to be run with a fuel pump. hope this helps, JON
    SAY IT!!!!!
    85 1/2 Tri-Z - The Trail Bike w/Inverts
    85 Tri-Z - The wifes Bike
    85 Tri-Z - The MX/ICE Bike, 310 w/Inverts
    12 Tri-Shee - The Flat Track/TT Bike w/Inverts

NYTRO - New York Trike Racing Outlaws - COME GIT SOME!

--
    this thread has lots of good info, read through it, and you'll have a good idea how to fix an issue you haven't had yet.lol.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...I-Z-Fuel-Pumps
    SAY IT!!!!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by zmpolaristech View Post
    this thread has lots of good info, read through it, and you'll have a good idea how to fix an issue you haven't had yet.lol.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...I-Z-Fuel-Pumps
    I have an update for that thread that may help, or just give you a good laugh.

As posted earlier my fix was to put a smaller hose (1/8”I.D.) between the petcock and the fuel pump to increase resistance to that line and send the fuel back to the tank. Well it worked… for a bit, then I noticed a few drops of fuel one day (Keep in mind I don’t use my trike all that much). So I decided to try and bore out the 3/8” side of the T-fitting and then buy the aluminum unit sold on this site if I failed (it takes a 3/8” hose, but is internally restricted for some reason).

Now before I get to the punch line I need to point out the irony in this story. When I rebuilt my trike I dissembled, rebuilt and replaced EVERYTHING, except for the 3/8” return line to the tank as it has a special bent and I couldn’t figure out a better way to route a new hose, plus it looked to be in great shape, so I used it and never pulled it off the T-fitting during the rebuild.

Ok, so here is where you guys get to laugh your asses off: When I pulled the hose to modify the Tee there was a #168 Keihin main jet screwed into the fitting and then covered by the return hose! Some $%^&(*&^$# must have been having issues with a weak pump and decided that restricting the return line was the fix. I felt so effing stupid when I found this I didn’t post it. However, with this topic back on the board I figure I better confess in case it helps someone else. I still have my restrictor hose in place and don’t have any over fueling issues, but I plan to remove it soon and report back.

PS. What zmpolaristech says about the inlet size is 100% true as verified by a Keihin rep in the States. They don’t make carbs with that orifice size anymore and would need at least a 200 unit order to consider making a run and they can’t be modified.

--
    Thanks for the info Jon much appreciated!,any ideas on the cable set up? do I need to buy another thumb throttle from a another bike to make it work, or is there a cable that will fit the striker and connect to the tri z thumb throttle
    Thanks again
    Brewy
    TRI Z 85 SOLD 95-96
    TRIZ 86 2013-KEEPER

--
    funny its always the thing that you think is ok and could not be a problem ends up smacking your ass
    TRI Z 85 SOLD 95-96
    TRIZ 86 2013-KEEPER

--
    Just go to Motion Pro's website and spec out a custom cable. I'm sure they'll ship to you. It cost me about $35 and took less than 2 weeks to get fabbed up. It's been working great for me.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by brewy View Post
    funny its always the thing that you think is ok and could not be a problem ends up smacking your ass
    Exactly! If you bring every tool and spare part you have to the race nothing ever brakes, but leave a spare part in the garage just one weekend and watch what happens

--
    banshee throttle, with a banshee 2into1 throttle cable (for banshees with single PWK carb). The Z thumb throttle won't open the big carb all the way, but the banshee throttle will. Realy, read through that thread....ALL this info is in there.
    SAY IT!!!!!

--
    banshee throttle, with a banshee 2into1 throttle cable (for banshees with single PWK carb). The Z thumb throttle won't open the big carb all the way, but the banshee throttle will. Realy, read through that thread....ALL this info is in there.
    ok had a nice enjoyable read there, great thread!! ,mine was leaking fuel today, so just ordered some new fuel line 1/4 i.d,...cant find a single carb banshee through the suppliers I use, they are all listing twin carbs, for the thumb throttle, what year was the single carb model made,got the bit between my teeth now.
    TRI Z 85 SOLD 95-96
    TRIZ 86 2013-KEEPER

--
    the 2into1 banshee carb system is an aftermarket set-up, but pretty common. Here is a link to a cable on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-BANSH...83e426&vxp=mtr
    SAY IT!!!!!

--
    the 2into1 banshee carb system is an aftermarket set-up, but pretty common. Here is a link to a cable on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-BANSH...83e426&vxp=mtr
    Just ordered one Jon thanks for your help with it
    TRI Z 85 SOLD 95-96
    TRIZ 86 2013-KEEPER

--
    Hi All ,got the Tri z running today,put the banshee thumb throttle on her with the 2 into 1 cable,changed the fuel lines and bored out the tee on tank return which cured the over fueling problem so big thanks for the advice much appreciated !,the bike ticked over and didn't stall, but on the test run when I was coming into the last 10% of revs it was making the noise but not giving any more speed sounded hollow I'm running the 38mm air striker with a 165 main right now cel needle set in the middle,would I need to adjust the timing to accommodate the bigger carb it's at 1.66 btdc, it's quick up to the point of the last 10-15 % it doesn't bog down ,it keeps revving but the power just doesn't seem to be there in that any ideas any one thanks in advance
    TRI Z 85 SOLD 95-96
    TRIZ 86 2013-KEEPER

--

3Z with Fangs! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    For us guys wanting to do it now it's no longer there. Invalid thread.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //