//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Help in wiring a speedo on an 85 Big Red

OKSTATE#1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Help in wiring a speedo on an 85 Big Red

I saw the instructions for installing a speedometer, but I don't see what wires you are supposed to connect the two green and two brown wires from the speedo to the big red itself. I took off the plastic cover behind the headlight, but I'm at a loss as to what goes where. It looks like it should be simple, but perhaps I'm making this harder than what it is. Anyone else done this and can give me a little help?

ericmreimer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    it is pretty simple really......THERE ARE NO EMPTY CONNECTORS FOR THE SPEEDO. Just unplug any dark solid green and any brown in there and put this new harness in series. On the plug you unplug you're going to unplug a male and a female. On the speedo wiring you're going to have a male and female. simple plug the new harness into what you unplug. the green is a ground and the brown is a switched 12 volt that runs the tail light. I guessing the speedo has a light in it that comes on when the lights are turned on.

here look at my colored wiring diagram, sorry it's so small. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1984es200-color-wiring-diagram.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	175691

these the same instructions you have?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!nUFH9gt0CmWBSB9ockMv!~~60_57.JPG 
Views:	345 
Size:	521.9 KB 
ID:	175674
    Last edited by ericmreimer; 08-17-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    1984 Honda ATC200ES saved

Project in progress 1984 ATC200ES with Trx200 rear suspension/200m front suspension

--
    Yep, thats what you do, unplug the green and brown in the headlight and then put the speedo in series. Its just for the bulb in the speedo that lights it up.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

OKSTATE#1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I have a set of instructions for the 85 250ES. Those look like they are for the 84. Perhaps its all the same. Like I said, it all looked a little different, and I suck at wiring so I didn't want to screw this up. But, I get hooking it up in series so it shouldn't be hard. I think with the 85 you don't go through the back of the headlight, its all under the little black cover. I was trying to figure out what I was hooking into series with, and you answered that for me so thanks.

--
    Thanks for kinda gettin me squared up, I ended up running it off my accessory plug. Seems to work well there, at least on my 85 I didn't see a way to hook into the taillights and if you hooked into the headlight you would only get the light on the speedo on when on lo with the lights. It's a constant hot with the key on at the accessory. I could have torn through the original tubing and maybe found a point of attachment for the tail lights, but I didn't want to do that. I will post pics of my touch up paint work, fixing the little dash with a patch work, and my speedo hookup soon. On the little black dash, I used JB weld, black pain and Wipe New lol. Used to use it on old Jeep steering wheels to patch up the cracks, when I have it all fixed up I will post pics of that too. Maybe someone here has done that before.

--
    Is it common for the front wheel to not spin as freely with these speedo gear boxes attached? I greased it properly but it feels a little tight. Everything is torqued to spec, just wondered if anyone else had this issue as well.

--
    Yes, there will be a little more resistance, not a lot though, so if your saying it takes effort to spin it then something is binding.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--

greased ?

Did you pull the bottom cap off and pump in as much fresh grease inside as it would hold ?

In my posting (post #1) you can see the break down of the innards,,,,

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...)-reproduction

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 10.10.20 PM.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	176036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3208.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	176016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3405.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	176017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3406.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	176018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3427.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	176019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3429.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	176020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3442.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	176021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3445.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	176022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3495.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	176023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3498.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	176025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3499.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	176026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3500.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	176027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3501.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	176028

Here are some of the latest pics of my BR, I have attached the speedo and it works well. I should have clicked some better pics of it, but my point with these pics was to show some of the things I have done recently. The pic with what appears to be a paint run on the fork was me covering up a huge scratch with some paint. I am just testing the color, it was Rustoleum Sunrise red and it did pretty good to match. The other is the rustoleum silver touch up paint I had spoke about in another thread (don't have it in front of me right now), but its a decent match for the forks as you can see. Cleaned those up decent. The pic of the key switch is where I used JB weld, brush on primer, Wipe New, and black paint mixed with Wipe New lol. It actually filled in the gouge and it doesn't show in person like it did in this photo. Plus, its not as shiny now and looks a little more OEM. The las few pic are where I bought some old Carlisle Tires and and original wheels to mount on so I can ride and not destroy my original Ohtus. The Ohtsu's lined up on original rims are going to be packed away in light oil so they don't rust or rot. I will use them for special occasions...or until they start making them again BTW, the Travelrite speedo gear box and cable worked just fine with the NOS OEM Hondaline speedo. I got up to 35 with the BR screaming lol...I didn't want to push the ol motor much more than that I know, my tank stickers are crooked...It was sold to me like that. I don't know why they are so crooked. I guess someone replaced them before. I have a new set, just haven't done it yet. And if you can see my speedo mount, I made it so don't laugh lol...It was made from the Travelrite speedo bracket I got and perhaps a 250R bracket bolted together. Not sure what the other mount is that I have. Works though...
    Last edited by OKSTATE#1; 08-23-2013 at 11:11 PM.

--
    Very, very nice !

--
    35 ain't pushing it... I do 40 on my 200ES daily and it's barely a workout! That 250 should be able to outrun me... LOL

Looks dang nice!
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

wolfspider is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    very nice bigred.

HONDA ATC250ESJ 1988
    HONDA 250R `85 restored SOLD
    HONDA ATC 350X `86 restored SOLD
    HONDA ATC 250ES `87 SOLD
    YAMAHA YZ100 `80 project
    HONDA ATC350X `85 PROJECT FINISHED

--
    Do you have instructions for big red 250 es. Thanks

--

Copy of instructions

Quote Originally Posted by OKSTATE#1 View Post
    I have a set of instructions for the 85 250ES. Those look like they are for the 84. Perhaps its all the same. Like I said, it all looked a little different, and I suck at wiring so I didn't want to screw this up. But, I get hooking it up in series so it shouldn't be hard. I think with the 85 you don't go through the back of the headlight, its all under the little black cover. I was trying to figure out what I was hooking into series with, and you answered that for me so thanks.
    Could I get a copy of instructions. Thanks

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //