//ArrowChat Code
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting things in places they ought not to be (250R Hybrid Motor build)

--
    Everytime I read these posts my head hurts more than when I time cams. I've decided to just wait for the movie to come out.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Everytime I read these posts my head hurts more than when I time cams. I've decided to just wait for the movie to come out.

I am actually, kind of, making one based on this thing, roughly It might all end up going in the Trikefest documentary though

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Well, here is what the first 15 inches of pipe looks like. These things were kind of a to cut out with scissors. Going to take a lot of practice to really get this down pat I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10154305_10153010477504237_7563696355079631324_n.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	192112

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Wow it took some diggin to find the thread. How goes it, Billy? Any word yet?
    too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    I believe he is in Trikefest mode now. These creations take time, money and a strong brain. I'm sure Billy will get it done.

Your in Louisiana, get your butt to TRIKEFEST 14!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I have not worked on it anymore. I've decided I really wantto just have the templates made on water jet/laser and then roll and weld them. Taking the time to source someone adequately to do that has been the challenge so far. I talked to one place that would sell me a4x10 sheet of 20ga sheet metal for about $50 which was cheap enough to cut and make all the patterns myself, but they haven't stocked it and I haven't gotten a call back, and it hasn't been a high priority to stay on them. I think making the paper templates and having them then laser or water jet cut on sheet metal is the smartest way to do it. Cutting them by hand is doable and cheaper I'm sure but - time consuming as all get out and the attrition rate on cutting those compound curvatures will take a while to figure out.

How to keep them from getting mixed up and have them labeled right, I have no idea. Thats another thing I can't get my head wrapped around if the shop or place that does the cutting will be able to do that since the first several sections are almost identical to the naked eye.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    I believe he is in Trikefest mode now. These creations take time, money and a strong brain. I'm sure Billy will get it done.

Your in Louisiana, get your butt to TRIKEFEST 14!!
    I planned to go, had money put aside for everything and all that. But some stuff happened and the money went towards some much more important bills. So I'm stuck at home. Again.

That's a good point, Billy. If they cut them out would you be able to lay the templates down over each piece to see what piece it was?

--
    Blog Entries
    Probably could get close, yes. Thats like 60 some pieces +/- though, and even labeling the paper template versions is kind of a pain in the ass keeping them straight. When building the pipe out of paper, like I ran into before, you can only do so much at a time before the whole thing just falls in on itself from the weight and tape not holding and things like that. I know it can be done but its currently beyond the scope of my patience to do it in that manner

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    How to keep them from getting mixed up and have them labeled right, I have no idea. Thats another thing I can't get my head wrapped around if the shop or place that does the cutting will be able to do that since the first several sections are almost identical to the naked eye.
    I think you're looking at it all wrong Billy. Getting them all mixed up will turn your laborious pipe-making project into a fun & entertaining jigsaw puzzle.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Another very good point. Damn,,,, ah well. You're smarter than I am so you'll get her figured out and it'll be something so simple we will all facepalm ourselves out of sheer impressment lmao,, Good luck!!

Hey wait,, what about sending the templates to a pipe builder and just having the pieces cut out? Don't tell them what it's for or anything or tell them it's for a Polaris or something. Just so they won't try an jack your hard work. Maybe find someone that you know that's close with a pipe builder,,,,, Idk just a thought. Cause someone who does 2-stroke pipes will know exactly how they need to be labeled and cut ya know? But on the same token: that's a lot of hard work and time you've got into it and it would be similar to making the most bomb arse pizza ever and giving the recipe to papa johns to have it cooked for you.

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I think you're looking at it all wrong Billy. Getting them all mixed up will turn your laborious pipe-making project into a fun & entertaining jigsaw puzzle.
    yes...thats just what I'm looking for, another variable to add into the equation of this thing...

tecaterob is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    My friends shop build one of the pilot 400's and it had monster torque. It was built about 10 years ago and still running without a rebuild.

Can't wait to see more....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by tecaterob; 06-03-2014 at 09:34 AM.
    3 86 Tecate 3
    1 87 tecate 3 (with kx 540 motor)
    1 87 tecate 4 (with 330 motor, 250r geometry)
    1 83 atc 70
    1 Kfx 50
    1 kfx 400 ( with 470 parting out bike)
    1 78 KZ 1000 ( with 1340 turbo)
    1 Aprilia SXV 550 Supermoto
    1 01 ZRX 1200 prostreet (sold)

--
    Blog Entries
    TF done and gone so I can get back to other business finally.

Just dropped each of my pipe section templates into a cad file and sent off to a water jet company I spoke with today to get a quote in both mild steel and also stainless. Hope to hear from them soon.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    TF done and gone so I can get back to other business finally.

Just dropped each of my pipe section templates into a cad file and sent off to a water jet company I spoke with today to get a quote in both mild steel and also stainless. Hope to hear from them soon.
    Look into purging the pipe with Argon if you go with SS, the welds will be much stronger.

jadleybray is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    SS is not a good idea for a pipe, they just don't hold up to the vibration's. Too brittle

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //