//ArrowChat Code
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting things in places they ought not to be (250R Hybrid Motor build)

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Water jet company could'nt read my files - so Hagen and I coordinating on this one and will see if we can come up with some fine German laser cut material perhaps

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    I ended up enlisting the help of Hagen and the wonderful work of German engineering and equipment to get these cut for me. He sent me a message yesterday that they are back from being laser cut, and that my stainless ones are at a heat treater now being annealed (So they won't be as hard/brittle as stainless typically is). So I'll have coming to me 2 sets of steel templates, 2 sets of stainless steel templates.

Perhaps beteen enough material to make 4 pipes, I'll come up with something decent

--
    Interesting. I've always thought that the issue with stainless being brittle was after the welding had taken place. In other words I thought any stress reliving or annealing would be done post welding. Are you planning to do that anyway?

By the way, there is a process call passivation, or pickling done with a wicked acid paste (wear protection!) http://www.picklingandpassivation.co...ng-paste2.html This returns the welds and surrounding areas to a silver color and restores the corrosion resistance of the stainless steel. The paste also strips anodizing off aluminum if you have the need, just remember that one good whiff will strip the flesh off your throat and if you plan to let any go down the drain pipe better chase it with a few hundred gallons of water to neutralize it.

--
    Blog Entries
    I think as long as you weld stainless with a back purge so the welds don't sugar, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I have a set of stainless steel 250R pegs I welded up (living a little dangerous, I know) and haven't had any issues with them yet.

--
    Stainless 250R pegs?? Alrighty then! Hope you wear good boots lol. This coming from a guy who used to weld cast, a LOT. And it's still to this day holding. Very interesting.... Why stainless anyhow? Because you can,I suppose lol?! There is a 3 wheeler guy an hour from me who works stainless for a living. Guess he's not a member here He would surely have some ideas. Not that what you're doing won't work. I just worry about it being awful brittle.But our milk tanks,pipelines and all milk handling equipment is stainless and a work of beauty all in one. I'm sure this pipe will be too. What a project
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    A fella on the QR board built a hand coned stainless pipe for a custom chro-mo framed, YFZ front clip 250/500 hybrid. He just back purged the welding and hasn't had any issue with it being brittle. and that's an "LT250R" chassis with a 540cc zilla engine in it. The vibes are more than likely about the same as the Rotax mill you're building here, and trikes disperse vibes better than quads. So I think the stainless pipe is going to work out. Just my optimism and if Billy's welding skills are anything on par with your video skills, well,,,, you'll be just fine
    too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    Blog Entries
    My first venture will be with the steel version anyways - I'm getting enough material to make it both ways.

This ended up being designed where it is nothing but sections and cones the entire way from the exhaust flange, to the stinger tube, so there wont be any long sections like there are on regular pipes, it'll make it a bit interesting looking when its done I think.

--
    Blog Entries
    Heres my goal look....lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jollymotoos6.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	852.4 KB 
ID:	197646

Jolly Moto pipes, from Italy.

--
    Those are some GD beautiful pies. Good luck.

--
    Here ya go, Billy. Looks like he did get the pipe all finished and rode on it some as well.

Says he used 18ga stainless

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/jeremiah25/IMG_0280_zps78fefcdd.mp4

http://www.suzukiquadracerhq.com/lt5...4170/#msg34170

--
    Any update?

--
    Blog Entries
    Checking the mailbox everyday like a little school kid!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    Heres my goal look....lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jollymotoos6.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	852.4 KB 
ID:	197646

Jolly Moto pipes, from Italy.
    Wow! That is art. I could never ride with one of those on for fear of damaging it.

--
    Blog Entries
    Mine should hypothetically actually look pretty close to that - I have a similar # of sections, so provided I get everything rolled evenly,formed, and welded, it should look pretty close to that...

Jolly Motos though, without a doubt, beautiful pieces though for sure. Thats been my supreme level of awesomeness on pipes for several years now. You'll notice there isn't a single abrupt change in angle or "pinched" corner anywhere because of the # of sections they used and how small most of them are in length.

--
    Nothing like having 60 feet of tig weld into a pipe! Reminds me of tigging in a Model A roof panel, or some of the custom Boss Hoss tanks we built back at the rod shop...
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //