//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: ES-SX-350X Carb rebuild Tutoral

--
    flyingw .....on the second page....you state..."drop in the main nozzle in the small end in first then install the primary jet and tighten up".....is this for the 86 model only because i dont have one of those and im quite sure when i dismantled this carb that there was not a primary jet. I dont think i recall seeing a second brass part poking through the carb throat.
    I never got a new one with my shindy kit either but i see either did your 86 kit in your pics. I do however have the slotted/threaded small part that screws into that same hole atop the primary. So....should i have a primary jet. Could this machine run without one all these years or should i get on my hands and knees on the shop floor now?

Its interesting that there is two labels on the shindy bag..one underneath states 1985 250 es and the sticker placed overtop that one says 85-87 250es
    Last edited by roonie; 10-16-2013 at 09:52 PM.

--
    STOP RIGHT THERE!!!!! What is the QA number on the bowl rim under the hose nipple? QA04A, QA05A, or QA10A. Answer that first.

--
    Also, is there a large spring in your Shindy kit? Its the spring for the idle adj screw.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingw View Post
    STOP RIGHT THERE!!!!! What is the QA number on the bowl rim under the hose nipple? QA04A, QA05A, or QA10A. Answer that first.
    HI..the # is QA...then underneith its 01AAWJt....its a funny looking t. Also....the second A in that sequence has a square around the letter A. As far as the spring for the idle adjustment, yes i got one of those and a new screw and washer too but no black knob. I am in Canada so im guessing its a canadian bike....eh

--
    So, yours is an 01A. Look a the pics and your kit. The carb you have is an 85ES and the kit is for an 86ES. Compare the pics I laid out of the two kits. The main nozzle does not come in any kit. That part is essential. The Primary jet used to not come with the 86 kit but I got an 86 kit the other day that had one in it. Fluke, maybe but historically the primary jet is not in the 86 kits. If the jet stack is drilled and tapped to accept a primary jet then you need that and the main nozzle in order for the carb to work right for either year.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingw View Post
    So, yours is an 01A. Look a the pics and your kit. The carb you have is an 85ES and the kit is for an 86ES. Compare the pics I laid out of the two kits. The main nozzle does not come in any kit. That part is essential. The Primary jet used to not come with the 86 kit but I got an 86 kit the other day that had one in it. Fluke, maybe but historically the primary jet is not in the 86 kits. If the jet stack is drilled and tapped to accept a primary jet then you need that and the main nozzle in order for the carb to work right for either year.
    Yes my bike is a 85es. Again..on the packaging there was a white sticker label that said 85-87 250 es...underneath that sticker was another sticker that said 1985 250es. The primary jet stack does have threads right at the top. I assumed it was for the new threaded little plug only. I have a main nozzle that came in the kit and the cap to screw on top the main nozzle. Just dont have or see a primary anywhere. not even on my floor..lol. I dont get why they cant send all jets as that is whats hardest to clean. And why not a float to go with the needle...man! I will have to call the honda dealership here in the am and see if i can get the primary seperately. When i called for the carb kit he stated that it was no longer available but that single parts were. I got the kit from an aftermarket type place here in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan for $18. By the way i misinturpreted your instructions and tried to take both the cold start plug and the cold start jet out and broke the jet. Does the cold start jet not come out...if so ..how flyingw? The stem is now broke on it but the bottom is still down there. Im going to see if they have that part seperately too in the am. Any other ideas.....will it work the way it is if i drill it .08mm? Thanks for all your help by the way!

--
    Post #3 shows how to get the cold start jet out. Are you saying you broke the cold start jet?

--
    flyingw....can you clarify .....is it the plug that you are prying out that we are drilling .08mm or is it the passage below that plug?In the Honda service bulliten that you posted it states that the cold start jet gets pryed out and an new updated one gets installed...so there must be a jet available..somewhere eh?

1To elaborate on the 85 ES/SX cold start problem I mentioned. This mod only applies to the 85 ES/SX carbs and is really only a problem for you in really cold environments. In a nutshell, because the startup jet metering hole is so small, it doesn't provide enough fuel to fire a cold soaked motor but I'm talking 30deg F or colder. None the less, it couldn't hurt to do this mod no matter where you live. I have attached the original Honda Service bulletin along with pics of how I pry the jet out. You want the modified screwdriver to be about horizontal. Gently push down and the jet should come out. I use a .080mm micro-drill and a Dremmel to drill it out. I have encountered many ES/SX carbs where the startup jet was plugged with debris. You will need a #4 sheet metal screw, a modified flat blade screwdriver and anything with about a 1/4 - 3/8 diameter to lay on the jet stack to act as a pivot. Screw the sheet metal screw in about 1 - 1 1/2 turns. Don't worry about damaging the jet with the screw. The metering hole is farther down than the screw will reach. Pry the jet out, drill it, and reinstall. While the jet is out, be sure to shoot carb cleaner through the hole. If doing a carb rebuild, leave the jet out until final assembly. A set of metric micro-drills can be found at most local tool stores or on the internet for just a couple of bucks.

I have a set similar to these. You will need a Dremmel with a chuck to use these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-15pc-Mic...item2c6e3fee07
    Last edited by roonie; 10-16-2013 at 11:39 PM.

--
    The metering hole is about halfway down the jet. Without seeing it I can't say whether the metering hole is still intact. Can you post a pic? Those cold start kits are no longer available as far as I know so that's why we are drilling them.

--
    im still not understanding ......when you pryed up with your made up screwdriver with the slot in it, are you taking just the plug out and drilling that plug or did my jet brake in half. In your pic it looks like there is a plug that you pry out and then it sounds like you are drilling either the plug or the metering jet down below....can you tell me which is it? And yes....the lower half of the metering hole is intact. ITs a long way down ...not sure if a pic will show it.

--
    ok, gotcha. What you see in the picture is the startup jet. That jet on the end of the screw is what I drill. Down in the hole is another nozzle but I haven't figured out how to get it out to clean it so remove the jet, drill it, spray carb cleaner in the hole and reinstall the jet.

--
    Ok...gotcha.....lol....so the only reason you are taking out the top (jet) is to drill it so as not to contaminate the bottom with filings. I misunderstood and thought the reason to take off the top was to gain access to the (jet ) down below. Like ..why would a person drill something that has been ruined by a sheet metal screw..lol. You may want to insert another short sentence in your tutorial for dummies like me. The Honda bulliten sounds really scetchy...to me anyway.

All ive really done is removed/broke the stem of that lower (jet) ...the rest is still intact.

Now ...what about a primary jet that im missing....will a jet from another year (86-87) or even another machine like a 350 go in my hole and work just fine? Im asking because my Honda dealer may not carry these any longer by the sounds of it. Thanks again for all your insight and quick replies as winter is setting in up here already and I want to RIDE this thing yet.
    Last edited by roonie; 10-17-2013 at 08:41 AM.

--
    Well the 05A and 10A (350X) and the 04A (TRX250) do not have primary jets so no you can't use a jet from any of those. You will need to find a primary jet. I'm hitting the road in a few and won't be back online till probably late tonight.

--
    Ok...I have what you call the primary jet. I received a primary jet in my kit too. Its the main nozzle with the holes in it that i am missing. Well....my local honda powersport shop does not have this main nozzle i found out today.
    Last edited by roonie; 10-17-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: adding words

--
    Ok, that's a problem. I have some carbs inbound but I won't be in town until next week. Search Ebay for ATC 250SX carb and ATC 250ES carb. There is a guy parting out carbs. He may have one listed.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //