//ArrowChat Code
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: ES-SX-350X Carb rebuild Tutoral

--
    Most of you know that Honda offered a mod kit for the 85 ES/SX carbs to fix the cold start issue. Recently I have rebuilt a few carbs that had a different start up jet in it. This different start up jet is what Honda sent in the mod kit. See the pics. The jet on the left is the mod kit jet and the one on the right is the original jet.

MFW, this is what the inside of your carb looked like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1617 (Copy).JPG   100_1618 (Copy).JPG   100_1619.JPG  

--
    Thanks (again) fw.
    I had one that I drained for the winter and it looked like that
    in the spring. Non etoh gas and stabil HAD been in there.
    Wonder if it's better to leave the float bowl full of the good stuff
    contrary to the honda manual storage procedure?..or maybe
    fill the bowl with mystery oil?
    Wonder what makes 'em fuzzy like that.
    Condensation in an empty bowl?

--
    That I am predicting is a combination of bad fuel that had water in it. If you want my opinion, for Winter storage, I would drain the fuel from the bowl. Fill the carb with rubbing alcohol and drain X2. The alcohol will flush the bowl and carry away any remaining fuel residue. I would also do the same with the tank but that would entail pulling the tank and swishing some alcohol around in the tank. Drain the alcohol through the petcock and blow the tank out to dry. Then spray a coat of WD40 inside of the tank and seal it up. I would also spray the WD40 through the vent in the cap. I'm not a big fan of Stabil. I too have had carbs that looked similar after using Stabil. I think a dry carb and oiled tank is the way to go.

--
    Wow, that is a hot mess! I am crossing my fingers you can make it new again.

MFW
    Honda Trikes
    1983 Honda ATC 70
    1985 Honda ATC 70 x2
    1984 Honda 125M
    1985 Honda 250es

Honda (non trikes)
    1968 Honda z50
    1969 Honda z50
    1970 Honda CT 70H
    1972 Honda CT 70H
    1973 Honda CT 70
    1993 Honda 300 4x4

--
    wow this thread was bumped today what a coincidence. Just wanted to say thank you for this write up. I cleaned my carb out 2 years ago and ever since putting it back together if I stabbed the throttle it would just bog out. Well I finally got around to taking it apart this afternoon thinking a piece of gunk was just clogging up a hole. Well after looking at your pictures I realized I had put the primary #45 jet and the main jet #130 in each others spot. So it should be noted that both of these jets have the same size thread and can fit in each others holes! I need to clean my gas tank out before I put it back together but I'm sure it'll work fine.

2 quick questions. My carb didn't have the vent tubes just pointing at the ground separately, mine had them connecting with a t connection or something odd and the tube then ran up the neck of the trike. Any idea why?

Second thing is half of my pilot screw is snapped off. Ive never removed it and I dont see it being an issue. Should I just leave it alone?

Ok one more thing. What size fuel line is this 5/16?

Thank you for the write up!
    85 250SX New to me!!
    85 ATC 70 stock ~ TRADED
    85 ATC 70 with 138cc Lifan
    83 110 restored ~ sold
    85 110 restored ~ sold
    83 200x restored ~ sold

02 400ex ~~~SOLD

K&N filter
    K&N jet kit
    EHS Racing lid
    Removed choke 42 pilot DJ146 main
    HMF full exhaust
    AC skids
    Holeshot XCR rears
    14t front sprocket
    IMS Roll front bumper
    Graydon Proline nerfs

--
    The 86 carbs came with the spaghetti mess of a vent. They routed both vents in to one. It kinda sucks!!!!! When I rebuild the carb, I go with two simple vent hoses. The reason is, if the two in to one becomes clogged by mud or something like that then you have no flow but if you have two independent vents, you can lose one and have the other. Just playing odds. You always need air above liquid to flow properly.

If your pilot screw is broke and the carb is operating ok, leave it alone however if you want to remove it, cut a slot in the screw with a Dremmel. Its ok if you cut in tot he sides of the pilot screw tower. You just need it deep enough to put a screwdriver blade in to so it can be turned out. Be sure you remove the flat washer and oring that are under the spring.

The fuel line is typically 1/4 but 5/16 works too. Good luck.

--
    My trike is an 85. Wonder why the vents are like the 86 unless someone swapped it out. How else can I tell if it's an 86 carb? Thanks!
    85 250SX New to me!!
    85 ATC 70 stock ~ TRADED
    85 ATC 70 with 138cc Lifan
    83 110 restored ~ sold
    85 110 restored ~ sold
    83 200x restored ~ sold

02 400ex ~~~SOLD

K&N filter
    K&N jet kit
    EHS Racing lid
    Removed choke 42 pilot DJ146 main
    HMF full exhaust
    AC skids
    Holeshot XCR rears
    14t front sprocket
    IMS Roll front bumper
    Graydon Proline nerfs

--
    Look at the number stamped on the rim of the bowl under the fuel hose nipple.

QA01A 85 ES
    QA02A 85 SX
    QA07A 86 ES
    QA08A 86 SX

--
    Hey MFW, I got the choke valve out. I combination of heat and candle wax did the trick. Luckily the tabs on the valve were still intact so I hooked the cable and slipped a collar over the tabs to keep them from opening. Pulled on the cable and I got it to move up. Tapped it back down. Hit it more heat and got it to move up again. From there I exercised it up and down a couple of times and out it came. I first tried soaking it with Teflon liquid but it wasn't going past the frozen oring so that was pointless.

--
    FlyingW, I sent you a "Private Message" but am not sure if I did it correctly. First off, FANTASTIC step by step "How Too" & thank you so much for the detailed information. I took everything apart one jet by one jet but for some reason I can't get the Primary jet to go back in even without the emersion tube. Any thoughts as to what I did wrong? I started with the main jet, went to the start up jet, and then took out the Primary jet. I'm new to this but I've already rebuilt my 86 sx without any issues.

Thanks for your help with the rest but this doesn't make any sense to me

KingPaul

--
    My apologies Paul. You did send that and I spaced it. You are installing the immersion tube skinny end first right? Also, is the immersion tube pushed in as far it would go? The nipple end of the tube should be sticking up in to the venture of the carb..

--
    No problem, I'm going to work on it again tomorrow as it's raining here in the beautiful Garden State and I won't be getting home until late. I think I know what I'm doing wrong and am a little embarrassed to admit it but I will let you know. Let me know if you want the carb parts I have.

Thanks

KingPaul

--
    Don't be embarrassed! I've had my fair share of bonehead mistakes over the years. I will take the carbs if you have no need for them. Let me know what the shipping is. Ship to:

James Baldwin
    14712 SE 77th St
    Choctaw, OK 73020

Feel free to call me anytime. Jim

--
    Great thread and Thank you for taking the time to post this up! I used it to rebuild the carb on my 250ES and it now runs like it should after 5 months of dying out on wide open throttle. Great pics and step by step. Much Appreciated!!

--
    You guys are most certainly welcome. Some of us can read and completely understand but if you're like me, you need pictures to confirm what was just read. I have had nothing but positive feedback on this little thread so I'm very pleased you guys have found the information useful. I'm always here if you need help and I do have a ton of spare carb parts so speak up if you need anything.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //