//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Trikefest ATC70 build

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    That is one sexy looking beast!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Dunlap View Post
    I rode a lot of different set ups at the mad 70's event,some with 1 inch longer frams some with 2 inch ,but they didn't work as good as a stock frame for short track racing with go cart tires and wheels. My question is,has anyone ever cut the whole frame in half between the rear axle and motor,like a longer swing arm would be? That way you could slide it better and it would let the front end stick better.
    Can't say I've specifically heard of anyone doing that, lots of work to cut and stretch the back half. At that point almost easier to built a whole new tube frame. Maybe the carrier could be cut out at the welds and moved back an inch or so?
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."
    "What happened? What does it look like happened?!?!"

kiser is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Cant wait to see it done!!! Man I love nasty fast 70s! Great motor choice!

--
    Nice work Louis!! I have an old yx150 in my flat track 70.......you will not be dissappointed....mine is a kick start only... that e start is great!!! We did make flip fenders for the 140 pirahna I just built for my buddy....nothing show.....just wide door hinge and some what nots...... I gotta go.....gotta get some coa's.......keep us posted....
    HEY YOU WORM PICKERS..QUIT PICKIN' MY WORMS!
    Owner of the world' widest atc plow
    Builder of 3 wheeler accessories such as Big Red suspension sidecars,Big red's with full roofs, 3 wheeler elevators, and NOS powered 2 speed tri zingers

"Hold my beer.......watch this sh@# !!!!!!

--
    Ill have to line up against this at TF. Inbterested to see how my klx "110" will hang. shes a 143 right now. Looking at going to the 165 kit with its upcoming rebuild, (needs a new set of cases, broke the output shaft and spit her thru the cases! woops) this build will be prettier than mylittle rat racer however

--

--
    Good info! We'll see if we can fit it in, gonna focus on getting a roller first!

--
    Well I have been slowly getting things done on this build unfortunately it's been just that, slow. Between life and the fact that winter has been unusually cold for us this year getting much progress has been in bursts. I'm slowly but surely amassing more cool parts for this build

I do not have it in my possession quite yet, hoping to pick it up this weekend but I have secured an A+ front suspension setup from our good buddy blue27. That's right folks, this build has upgraded to semi-suspended! WOOT!

I've also made some progress on the frame extension, my pics don't show my full progress so it's come a bit farther than shown.

I've got the extension in, here's the frame sitting in my frame jig.

I've also got some work done on the disk brake conversion.

One of the things I really feel needs done on all atc70s is beefing up the steering stop for us "big kids" lol.

My intention is to have the frame ready for powder by monday. I'm sorry I don't have more pics but what I've been able to accomplish has pretty much been piece mealed together, 15 minute here, 15 minutes there. Sometimes you just can't focus on taking pictures.
    Last edited by Louis Mielke; 01-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.

--
    Stray pics of a few pieces.

This is a box of stuff going to our resident polisher Mr. GregKing.

Got this litle gem arrived from flossy, thanks brother!

Last edited by Louis Mielke; 01-24-2014 at 02:39 PM.

--

Key'd ignition !

Oh wow, keyed ignition ~ sweet ! Keep track of those folks helping out with donated parts and let me know Louis so I can get them their complimentary C.O.A off to them for helping.

Just a reminder for everyone. The C.O.A.'s say TrikeFest on them but this is the main fundraiser for the site to keep it running smooth all year long.
    So yes, it is a fundraiser drive,,,, for US, ALL of us.

http://shop.3wheelerworld.com/produc...?productid=227

Semi suspended too, this build is setting the bar high

john

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Dunlap View Post
    I rode a lot of different set ups at the mad 70's event,some with 1 inch longer frams some with 2 inch ,but they didn't work as good as a stock frame for short track racing with go cart tires and wheels. My question is,has anyone ever cut the whole frame in half between the rear axle and motor,like a longer swing arm would be? That way you could slide it better and it would let the front end stick better.
    It really doesn't look like a huge issue to do and I have spoke with other members about doing just that.after the snow melts and I can find the frame we will see how hard it actually is to do.The build looks great Louis I have a yx 150 in one of my 70's and love it! It is a bit of a handful but is loads of fun.

--
    Hey lewis.. I have a set of atc70 footpegs w the rubber removed and a set of HAGEN single row pitbike pegs w tipups welded to them.. I can send them your way for the build if your not 100% set on stock rubber pegs.
    looking awesome!! Let me know
    TECATE RIDER, HASPIN SURVIVOR!!
    Trikefest 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and beyond
    RAFFAs Ice-fest 09, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15
    Pensyltucky 09, 12, 13, 14, 15
    New England Ride 4/13

--
    Honestly Mike I think I'm going to stick with the stockers. Got some progress and some pics! Coming up in a minute!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Mielke View Post
    Honestly Mike I think I'm going to stick with the stockers. Got some progress and some pics! Coming up in a minute!
    No problems brother.. The build looks awesome! I cant wait to start buying my share of tickets!

good luck w the rest of the build!
    TECATE RIDER, HASPIN SURVIVOR!!
    Trikefest 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and beyond
    RAFFAs Ice-fest 09, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15
    Pensyltucky 09, 12, 13, 14, 15
    New England Ride 4/13

--
    Pic of the foot pegs getting cut apart to be rotated,

Here you can see where the peg cross bar makes contact with the engine, most people make spacers to lower the pegs mounting plate and thus eliminate the contact point.

I personally feel cutting the welds on the cross bar and rotating the pegs downwards is a better solution. It allows you to decide how much clearance you would like with out requiring longer bolts or compromised mounting. It also provides more space for mounting of the shifter and access to the clutch cover on this particular engine. Otherwise you'd have to remove the pegs to remove or install a shifter and possibly the removable clutch cover.

It does present it's own problems though with the mounting of the heel guards but I'll be taking care of that later.

Oddly enough I can't find the picture on my phone of them complete. They're done though and they fit the engine nice! Lol

A lot of these aftermarket engines slip right into 70 frame with no mods, while this monster was pretty closer there where a few points around the back of the engine that needed clearances. Snapped a few pics of those spots.

Both the upper and rear mounting locations needed clearancing to keep the frame from making contact with the engine. Specifically the upper mounts had to have their backsides reshaped to overcome interference. This was a bit of trail and error but after a bit I feel like I made the engine slip into the frame nicely without compromising the mounts.

Here you can see the head tube was prepped to be both plug and but welded. I at least think those are the terms, Im not a professional welder that's for sure. Lol I went through a nice size grinding wheel removing bad welds and redoing them till I was happy.

Back in the jig to get everything straight

And much like TV cooking shows, walla, all done!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //