//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: YTM 200 backfiring in carb

--
    word to the wise... if you buy a new replacement carb, be sure its jetted the same as the one you have now. I just went through this with my 225DX the previous owner put a brand new Mikuni carb, a VM22 which is what it had stock. the new carb had different jets and it would idle but not run when I tried to ride it, then it would stall and not start. I replaced the jets with the ones from the old carb and it starts and runs great now. So be sure to find out what the specs are on your stock carb and match them to a new one... not just the part number. I think just a good cleaning, needle valve and re setting the floats will go along way. im willing to bet your jets are good, maybe just clogged up a lot.

--
    The owner said the bike was sitting for about a year. We did get it to run but as a precaution, I would like to remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. I figured while I was in there I could replace any old parts. I downloaded the manual so I will have to start digging thru it. Where is the best place to purchase carb parts?

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    one option is moose carb kits possibly from rocky mountain atv.

--
    I saw one this one on ebay "Jet Kit" from Sigman. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YTM-2...f638a7&vxp=mtr

--
    Timing, valves, compression issue..yeah sure they could all be the cause.

Does not everyone trikes/outboards/snowmobiles kinda back-fart a bit when when they are cold and you try to shut off the choke and drive before it's warmed up? Mine do!

This is a common lean running condition issue...

Remove and clean the carb really well, drain and replace the old fuel in the tank, I'll buy you a beer if I'm wrong but I'll say your problem is sure to be gone!

Remember KISS guys??!! Never mind all the engine tests and exploratory until you've covered the basics.
    Last edited by dougspcs; 12-10-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

sanchez is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Both mine always did this. I just learned to pin it
    Appearing since '07

Looking for a place to happen...
    Making stops, along the way

--
    Pin it? As in the throttle or what?

brd812 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I'll bet the beer, the carb is flooding out as mentioned. I wouldn't buy a kit until before a real good cleaning. If it was me I would only buy Yamaha parts if needed. I used a moose kit on a alt of mine cuz that's all I could get and she doesn't run the same, not bad just not the same. Oem is still there, ie timberwolf minus the jets. I cooked a air filter on my dx , cuz the air screw had worn and settled at rich setting. It would not stay at the proper setting and vibrate back. Bought a new air screw and whalla all good. Start with the simple stuff like muthy and Doug said. Hope it helped
    "If you are going to piss like puppy, Don't Get Off The Porch"
    Trikes:
    84' Suzuki ALT185 (old Orange)
    85' Yamaha 225DX, piped and spaced ( First Girlfriend)
    Quads
    87' Yamaha Banshee, built and very very fast (The Whore)
    01 Yamaha Raptor 660, built and piped (The Beast)
    03 Suzuki Vinson, 26's and piped (The Crowd Pleaser)
    Once apon a time:
    85' Tecate 300 alky flattacker, 6 in over swingarm, 88 Suzuki 500"Quadzilla"PIA , 91 Yamaha Warrior Built and Modded. (luved that Baby Tank)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MtDew View Post
    Are there Carb rebuild kits available for the Yamaha 3 wheelers? I have a 225 DRS and would like to clean and rebuild the carb.
    http://www.jetsrus.com/carburetor/ca...VM_series.html

Call these guys. Tell them what you need. They should be able to set you up for way less than a Yamaha dealer.

--
    Ok so I finally got this all figured out with help from the local shop. I just replaced the carb on my 83 YTM 200(k?)(non electric) with a VM24 carb and it runs awesome!. Got rid of the factory airbox and just run an air filter off the carb. The boot between the carb and motor was caput and they didn't make the carb for my model anymore. The choke is now on the carb but isn't hard to get to.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucksmith02 View Post
    Got rid of the factory airbox and just run an air filter off the carb. The boot between the carb and motor was caput and they didn't make the carb for my model anymore.
    Brand new original carb to air box boot. 20.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Genui...0#ht_232wt_930

1983 YTM200EK AIR CLEANER
    1983 YTM200K AIR FILTER YTM200K
    1984 TRI-MOTO - YTM200L AIR FILTER YTM200L
    1984 YAMAHAHAULER - YTM200EL AIR CLEANER
    1985 TRI-MOTO - YTM200ERN AIR FILTER
    1985 TRI-MOTO - YTM200N AIR FILTER

--
    I had similar issue with my YTM200Ek along with other issues but my backfiring, flooding and stumbling was due to bad oring in the carb to intake manifold. Sounds like though you are set after replacing the carb but for before one gets too carried away with valve adjustment and such, spray a little carb cleaner around the carb while it's running and see if it smooths out or picks up rpms. If so then you carb air leaks which are fairly easy to fix.

--
    It was pouring fuel into the air box and also leaking around the carb. The shop said they wouldn't waste money trying to rebuild this carb. It cost me $79 for the new carb, boot, air filter and a few other things it needed to work. They still make the Mikuni VM24 carb and still will for a good while.

--
    you said that you have installed a carburator vm24 on your ytm 200k did it worked good all the time , and if it did that vm24 was on what machine before
    ? thanks

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucksmith02 View Post
    Ok so I finally got this all figured out with help from the local shop. I just replaced the carb on my 83 YTM 200(k?)(non electric) with a VM24 carb and it runs awesome!. Got rid of the factory airbox and just run an air filter off the carb. The boot between the carb and motor was caput and they didn't make the carb for my model anymore. The choke is now on the carb but isn't hard to get to.
    How did you run the tube off the crank case that ran to the block underneath air box.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //