//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 ATC300R Fooler build

bigdaddyvw185 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    So i need some suggestions on what size carb to get guys..... i no the PWK air striker is the one to get but i am torn on what size to get, been told 35mm is a good choice but on the other hand heard 38mm was an awesome fit, i have heard great things from both sized. also heard that the 39mm non air striker worked well also. the cylinder will have a mild trail port.... so what size do you guys recommend.....

i also need to make a decision on a reed cage, have heard mossbarger cages were awesome. and i am fairly sure they are still in business. i no they make different thickness's of reeds, and different materials.... can anyone chime in on what would be a good fit for me?...

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyvw185 View Post
    So i need some suggestions on what size carb to get guys.
    it depends on what your goal is. do you want a stock eng with slightly improved performance or 250 ported for high rpm only or big bore kit. hers some ideas.

port 250 cyl

install stock or ported big bore kit

high perf ex pipe.

remove the stock silencer and replace with non spark arrester type if you do not need it in your area.

increase carb size 2 mm over stock with pipe and mild port job.

increase by 3 mm if ported for high rpm.

it is extremely easy to over carburete an engine.

orig or barnett clutch plates.

stiffer barnett clutch springs if a big bore kit and/or heavy porting is used.

i also need to make a decision on a reed cage, have heard mossbarger cages were awesome. and i am fairly sure they are still in business. i no they make different thickness's of reeds, and different materials.... can anyone chime in on what would be a good fit for me?...
    i don't know about his reeds but he is a legend. he made the first privater reed valve 1974 cr125 which holeshot 1 of the nationals over marty smith and warren reid etc. i had one of his works kits on mine. he knows his stuff

look at boysen also.

bigdaddyvw185 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    i am running a new old stock hondaline 300 big bore top end, full dg exhaust, and am going to perform the power player mods in the article that i showed u the other night barnett. my goal is to make this one mean trail bike, i will be doing little to no racing with it, just want to make it a beast in the trails
    Last edited by bigdaddyvw185; 12-10-2013 at 10:39 PM.

--
    38mm airstiker
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    that is what i was leaning towards myself..... it is neck and neck with suggestions for what size to go with. by all means guys chime in and give me your opinion...

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Don't go with a 38 if you want trail power. 36mm mikuni is what you want. Mikuni is super forgiving on the jets and the 36mm still give you good top end while not sacrificing bottom end like a 38 will. The airs truckers are really temperamental (not as bad as a PJ but still finicky). Just my .02
    too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    Nice build Bigdaddy!

I remember the thread you posted when you first procured this old Air-Hammer! Looking forward to seeing the finished build and hearing your ride report being that this is your first wing-dinger! Cheers brother!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J View Post
    Don't go with a 38 if you want trail power. 36mm mikuni is what you want. Mikuni is super forgiving on the jets and the 36mm still give you good top end while not sacrificing bottom end like a 38 will. The airs truckers are really temperamental (not as bad as a PJ but still finicky). Just my .02
    See that is exactly what i have been told about going with the 38's..... it would be sacrificing the bottom end.... JEEZ there are so many different suggestions lol.... quite a few people that has given their .02 on the subject said that the 38 would be sacrificing in the bottom which isnt good for what i want, trail all day every day!! but at the same time other guys said it worked great for them, tho i did not no what style of riding they were doing...... as for the mikuni your the first person i have come across to actually stand up for them lol but none the less i will take it into mind CJ!

Ride-Red,
    yea i had to ditch my build thread over on .ORG which was rather upsetting.... it got to the point where i tried to post updates and such for over a month and everytime i went to post it was plagued by error message's. sent PM's to administrators about it and never heard anything about it. it was a bummer that was the first site i came to back when i got the 185s when this whole trike situation started. I was not happy about cutting my losses with my other build thread..... glad to see your over here tho. The first ride report will be something lol, ima gunna be smiling like a 5 year old on Chrismas morning haha!
    cheers
    Last edited by bigdaddyvw185; 12-11-2013 at 08:35 PM.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J View Post
    Don't go with a 38 if you want trail power. 36mm mikuni is what you want. Mikuni is super forgiving on the jets and the 36mm still give you good top end while not sacrificing bottom end like a 38 will.
    See that is exactly what i have been told about going with the 38's..... it would be sacrificing the bottom end....quite a few people that has given their .02 on the subject said that the 38 would be sacrificing in the bottom which isnt good for what i want, trail all day every day!!
    Use a 36 mm.

but at the same time other guys said it worked great for them, tho i did not no what style of riding they were doing.
    Even if they were riding the exact same trail as you their opinion might be different because their performance preference might be different. It’s also possible that at least some of the people that suggested a 38 mm for trail riding have their bike geared lower than stock which would at least partially compensate for any noticeable loss of bottom end that using a 38 mm instead of a 36 mm might have caused.

but as for the mikuni your the first person i have come across to actually stand up for them
    You now have 2. Mikuni's were also used on multi series 3 wheeler champion jimmy white's bike along with donnie luce's, chris white's and mine.

--
    So I got a tecate 250 mostly stock. I've run MiK 34 and 36's and after two year of nothing but problems bought a kiehen 38mm AS and after that I threw out all my brand new Mik's and jets etc and will NEVER GO BACK. As for size the 35 is not a bad carb but I ride some super technical stuff and the 38 has alomsot no noticiable loss of power. Once you are doing anyhting over 3 mph it is better in every way. Below 3 mph the 36 is a tiny tiny bit better but once you run a 38 there is no going back

--
    For trail riding I’d get something in 34-36mm range. As far as brands and style you may want to avoid carbs that have the air and idle adjustments on the same side as your pipe. Another thing you might want to consider is that the Mikuni VM carbs have paper base gaskets whereas new designs use reusable O-rings. Personally I prefer working on Keihin carbs, but there is nothing wrong with Mikuni’s, Bings or Amal carbs either if you want to be different.

--
    Now when all this carb talk started i was pointed to the quad vent air striker series, is that what you have Dan? or did you go with the traditional air striker? i am going to be ridding up in MA on your home turf, (i am a big fan of pittsfield by the way) and would like to register up in NH this year so i can go with the group of you guys!. so ima make a guess and say that NH is just as technical if not more so than the trails in MA. As for the qaud vent version's, i am fairly sure that they are only available in the 35 and 38mm sizes.

El cameican, i have always had heihin carbs on all my toys, not by choice lol but because they all came factory with keihin's. So the keihins are my comfort zone as result. as far as sticking out and being different that is not really important to me i just would like to get the carb that is best suited for my situation. being user freindly is important also, so i have to look into what ya said about the idle / air adjustments on the exhaust side as that would be a pain.

All of this is great info guys keep it coming! thanks!

--
    yup I got a 38AS on my 250 and a borred 40mm AS on my 500.

--
    I'm not sure they make the Air Stryker version of the PWK in conventional 2 vent?? Pretty sure all Air Strykers are quad vent, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

It's the straight PWK (non-AS) that you can get with either 2-vent or quad vent.

I ran a PWK/AS 38mm on a stock liquid R with just reeds and pipe upgraded. It was not lacking for power down low. If your Fooler was not a 300, I might be thinking a 38 might be a little much given the riding style you are after. But since you are doing the 300, I would most likely go with the 38.

Just my opinion, take it for what ya paid for it!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    just looked that up on keihin, you are right that the air strikers are all quad vents Ride-Red, its the standard pwk's that are 2 vent. as for you running a 38 on your stock liquid and it performing well i dont see why a 38 would not work out well for my big bore but there is a guy over on foolers.com that has a 300 fooler and he ended up getting a 35 and says everything is working out great that is one of the big things that is keeping me with the 35, that and the fact that its going to be almost strictly a trail bike... but then again you running a 38 on a liguid 250 and it working well pulls me the other direction to go big with the 38..... i mean it is going to have a mild port job and the full DG exhuast... ughh this is stressin me out lol.

I also need to figure out what reed cage to get. i tried sending an E mail to mossbarger but the E mail they had posted in there contact section is not working...... then when i go to look up V force 3 cages they seem to be only listed for the liquid R's...... but i am fairly sure that the liquid R's have the same bolt pattern and can be used without issue on the foolers.?...... someone please correct me if i am wrong with that thought. if i cannot get in touch with mossbarger then the v force 3 cage is my second option, but then there are boyesen's.... i dno i am seriously about to just buy new reed pedals for my stock cage for this first go around....
    Last edited by bigdaddyvw185; 12-12-2013 at 10:09 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //