//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What oil are you running in your Big Red 250es?

--

What oil are you running in your Big Red 250es?

I know the factory recommended weight is SAE10W-40 but are you running any specific brand thru your big red or atc in general?

MNhondaguy is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I use valvoline atv 10w40 wet clutch. Dunno if its better than anything else but its got a descent name and I approve. You could run carb cleaner as oil through these things and they would keep going, not recommended though haha.
    83 ATC 200E(X) Big Red

My YouTube- http://m.youtube.com/user/mazdarattiman

My bros (hoopster3030) YouTube- http://m.youtube.com/user/hoopster3030

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MNhondaguy View Post
    I use valvoline atv 10w40 wet clutch. Dunno if its better than anything else but its got a descent name and I approve. You could run carb cleaner as oil through these things and they would keep going, not recommended though haha.
    Lol. I'm just the most worried about clutch in it is all.

--
    Any brand of ATV 10w-40 is the recommended... I have also run Castrol 10w-40 in mine for years, no issues with the clutch etc. I say a good quality name brand oil is your best bet.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    The Honda GN4 oil is the stock oil recommended for the application..

At about $20/gal it's the same price as most of the major brand ATV oil.

Why not avoid the guessing and go that way..??
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

kebby28 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    When I bought my 250es it had an empty bottle of fully synthetic atv oil with a weird weight ratio in the trunk. I accidentally threw it away. So I just went to a parts store and got castrol fully synthetic 10w-40. Hate to admit it but it is not atv and says nothing about wet clutch capability's but have been running it all year with great performance...

kebby28 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I saved a old ford straight 6 with synthetic oil and have been a believer ever since. Its expensive but I actually notice a difference running it. Somebody please correct me if I'm doing something wrong here because I wouldn't want to hurt my baby!

--
    I wondered about the synthetic and if it would hurt the internals.

Doug: I am going to try to find some honda local to put in it before riding this weekend.

--
    Hell we have been using napa 10w30 oil in them for years and have never had a problem . As long as you change it regularly they will last for ever.
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    Hell we have been using napa 10w30 oil in them for years and have never had a problem . As long as you change it regularly they will last for ever.
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I have one that is smoking a little and has a little oil coming out the exhaust. I put some thicker stuff in it hoping it would help it out but I'm wondering if I shouldn't have put some seafoam in the oil instead and see if it frees up a stuck ring.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kebby28 View Post
    I saved a old ford straight 6 with synthetic oil and have been a believer ever since. Its expensive but I actually notice a difference running it. Somebody please correct me if I'm doing something wrong here because I wouldn't want to hurt my baby!
    Nothing wrong with a good synthetic in your ATV, but obey the wet clutch oil rule..they do make full synthetic ATV oil also.

Honda HP4S..great stuff, but at $10 a quart I save it for my 350X which I don't ride much and only change once a year.

The ES, SX, and quads I use the cheaper regular GN4 oil since I change the oil 2-3 times a year due to the fact they are ridden more and sometime get a bit of water injestion from the places I like to go..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	182950

Know what I'm saying???
    Current toys..
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kebby28 View Post
    I run only motorcraft synthetic thru my vehicles. Wondered about atc tho. Kind of worries me. What exactly do we need to watch with the clutches anyways?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireman942 View Post
    I run only motorcraft synthetic thru my vehicles. Wondered about atc tho. Kind of worries me. What exactly do we need to watch with the clutches anyways?
    Since car oil contains friction modifiers to reduce engine friction and wear it can cause more rapid clutch wear.

Since the clutches are bathed in the engine lubricant and require a certain amount of friction to operate these modifiers can cause the clutches to slip and burn out prematurely..
    Current toys..
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

--
    I was looking for clutch plates for my mockup motor the other night and I noticed on more than a few ads not to use synthetic oils with their plates. A couple of them were EBC clutch plates. I run Valvoline conventional 10W-40 with no problems on my 4strokes but I run Maximum MTL in my 2 strokes. Whatever oil you choose to run, pick an oil and stick to it. Don't flip flop oils especially between conventional and synthetic. One or the other.

--
    It looks like i either need to use honda or valvoline.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //