//ArrowChat Code

Thread: KFX 450R transplant to a Tecate

cochran is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

KFX 450R transplant to a Tecate

I have an extra 1st Gen Tecate frame and enough parts to make three of them. I also have access to a KFX 450R engine. I have friends that are extremely skilled in fab work. Would this be something that is possible? Maybe I am just thinking out loud here. Thoughts?

--
    Keep us posted on the build!!!
    1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Yamaha Tri-Z 250
    2006 Honda TRX400ex,,,(YA! YA!,,,,,I KNOW IT'S ONE OF THEM 4 WHEEL THINGS!!!!!)

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack+for+sp8twn

--
    Anything is possible. Build it. I know we would all love to see it!

--
    A few hurdles, out and out engine size would be the first, fuel pump for the EFI, finding a place for the electric parts and battery, not sure if the KFX is a dry sump motor so you may also have an oil tank to deal with. I'd look harder at doing a conversion to the KFX myself if you've got access to some good fabricators, similar to what Tim and Tionesta Trikes are doing. It would be a killer trike…….aluminum frame and swinger, electric start and reverse…….

Ross..
    My Rides
    1985 250R original (Garage Queen)
    -under restoration

1985 250R black and blue full rebuild ( Daily Rider)
    -Paul Turner pipe
    -+2" Westcoast

1985 Red and White Tecat-EH Sold

1985 Green Tecate Sold

My Wife's Ride
    -2003 Suzuki LTZ 400 Showroom fresh and completely stock

My Kids Ride
    -2004 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock
    -2006 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock

--

cochran is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I have a KXT500 already. Not a 1st gen but an 87. Looking at modding a 450 frame now.

--
    Ive looked into doing this swap years ago but into a 86/87 tecate and found that the kfx450 motor was really tall for the frame. now for the 85 frame it might be larger but you will probably have to cut the front of the frame and lower the cradle of the frame to get the motor to clear. I went with the option to build a new style 3 wheeler using a klx450 motor but like a lot of my projects I hit the 5-7K price mark on builds and realize that I still need 2-4K to finish I lose my drive and move on to another project.

Good luck.

Tyler
    85 ATC 250r -Under Construction
    86 TRX250r
    05 KFX400
    02 400EX

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Convert it to carb and you don't have to worry about the EFI. Plus the KFX EFI sucks already
    too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    I've thought about this before, but at the time the engines were unrealistic. Buying a whole bike is now about the same as the honda 450r. I know its not the 450, but I have considered the kfx/drz/ltz 400, but I think any of the DOHC engines are going to be a stetch to fit in the T3 frame. I was actually pondering this last night. I have a DRZ if you want any dimensions.
    nstyle73

"When in doubt, wind it out"

Feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-nstyle73

--
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J View Post
    Convert it to carb and you don't have to worry about the EFI. Plus the KFX EFI sucks already
    Tell us all what sucks about them. Or is it another "I know this guy whose uncles neighbors nephew had one and he didn't like it".

Joker 90
    1970 Honda US90- aquarius blue
    1981 Yamaha YT125
    1986 Yamaha Big Wheel 80
    1986 Kawasaki Tecate KXT500
    1987 Kawasaki KXT250B2
    2005 Yamaha YFZ450

--
    LOL, I can't speak on the EFI, but I know, stock, the KFX vibrates and is underpowered in my opinion compared to a honda 450R, and that comes from someone with a lot of green in the shed.
    nstyle73

"When in doubt, wind it out"

Feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-nstyle73

--
    Stock for stock they are pretty equal. The Honda really comes to life with a cam. They are both great quads IMO. The KFX is easier to ride with its smooth clutch/throttle/brakes. I love light front end of the Honda. And I'm a big YFZ fan lol.

Joker 90
    1970 Honda US90- aquarius blue
    1981 Yamaha YT125
    1986 Yamaha Big Wheel 80
    1986 Kawasaki Tecate KXT500
    1987 Kawasaki KXT250B2
    2005 Yamaha YFZ450

C.J is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Well considering when I went and picked up my latest LT the dude let me test drive his basically brand new KFX and about half way down the feild it shut off. I pushed it back to where he was and he told me his been back to the dealer twice already because of the fuel pump and fuel injector went out on the first few rides.

I do agree, they have a sweet clutch feel and the push a button cause you know it will start was nice.

My TRX is fun as hell,, the 07 is for sure. We haven't got the 05 back together yet. Thinking of chroming the frame just for chits and giggles.

The KFX had a stage 1 cam and the "factory race exhaust" or that's what the dude said.

But yea,, just my little experience with the two.

The KFX/LT/DVX 400 is fun as CRAP!! Got to run one around on our practice track against our blaster. The blaster beat it but the 400 was mostly stock save for a new OEM head and pipe. It was still a peppy little bike
    too many bikes to count. too little time on hand.

--
    Never had a problem with my efi on my kfx450

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //