//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Cbr250x

--

Cbr250x

I'm seriously considering building a drag trike from one of the older (around 90-93) inline 4 cbr250's.
    The plan is to use the aluminum box frame from the bike and use a trike frontend and swinger, kinda like a small street version of Halls 450 trike.
    Before I go buying a bike thats hard to find in the first place, I'd like to throw a line out to see if I can get some specs on the steering head setup, to gauge how hard is it going to be to adapt an ATC frontend and triples to the bike.
    Also I will be searching for info on the swingarm widths so I can adapt a trike swinger and rear end.
    I'm hoping to use 200x ATC parts for the front and rear setups, because thats what I have the most of and what I am most familiar with.

--
    Best thing I can think of for adapting the ATC front end is to find a botched frame from an ATC somewhere, something that's cracked or destroyed (there's plenty of them), and cut the frame up and use what you can. Widen it, extend it, use steering parts, model your parts after them, but enlarge them if need be...that kind of thing. One thing is for sure, you are going to need a LOT of time on your hands, because you are going in balls deep, and hard.

--
    I appreciate the reply, I definitely need to look at this from all angles.
    I have atc frames.
    The CBR frames are aluminum, and I'm not going to cut the neck off.
    I want to try to find a bearing and race combo that allows me to use only the triples from the atc.
    "Bas deep" is a relative term I guess. Since this is what I do for a living, I guess I'll just have to find the time.
    I'd rather modify the triple and swinger than modify the bike frame.

--
    Well I guess it depends on how big you want it and how you want it to handle etc. I was merely throwing ideas out there.

If you do this daily, then I suspect it probably won't be a huge chore. But unlike you, there are some people that come up with these crazy ideas and they are in way over their heads.

--
    Oh absolutely, that's why I'm posting here, I don't wanna bore the "normal" people with my "crazy" ideas. After starting my kz650 reverse trike Attachment 183474 build thread in trikesylvania and not getting a whole lot of input, I guess I assume they are more into the standard trikes, restorations and stuff. I'll do some of that but most of my stuff is pretty off the wall to most.

--
    I actually really liked that idea. The only thing I might have change was so the tire was angled a bit more out (rear) but that's just me.

Trust me, I'm all for this kind of stuff.

--
    The kz will take a year to build it the way I want it so I'm definitely up for input on that too. Can you elaborate on what you mean by angled out a bit more?

--
    For some reason, and this may be due in part since I haven't seen the bike in person, but it feels like the wheelbase is a bit too short. The rear tire just seems like it's hugging the frame a bit too much. It's almost like it needs the shocks extended or something.

--
    I think so too.
    I will very likely swap to an ex500 mono shock swinger that I will extend a couple inches.
    As for the design phase, I'm going to run that setup for now to see how the trike reacts. Like tuning anything, I need a baseline first, and I think some people(not necessarily you) may be missing the fact that it is an almost stock kz650SR d-2 from the down tubes back to the rear tire, so I'm taking advantage of kawi's engineering for a starting point.
    Dang I wish we could move this conversation into that thread.
    I really appreciate the input, see thats the stuff that will get me motivivated to slip that project into the rotation whenever I can.

--
    Not a problem. I posted my full reply in your actual thread as well if you'll have a look there :tup:

--
    Done. Thank you, I'll start doing some research on the Cbr250x plan, as I am fairly well obsessed with that little 250 inline 4, but at 6'2" its not gonna work for me in bike form.

Not to mention that since I've finally become a member here, I've been thinking about putting three wheels on everything

Problem with me is, I'm enough to do it....

--
    Put a Ford V8 in it

--
    Holy smokes.... id prolly go for it but i gotta save those for the t-buckets and model A's!! Nothing bothers me more than old fords with 350s in em

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //