//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scored a cheap '85 Odyssey on Craigslist

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 6speedthumper View Post
    Damn you are a super lucky SOB!!! I've been wanting either the 350 Odyssey or 400 Pilot. Actually, my Yamaha dealer has an 85 350 for sale! And, super clean! Near new tires, aftermarket exhaust, sweet fenders and seat... BUT... $4000.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Still worth every penny in my opinion. If you've ever driven an odyssey you know what I'm talking about!

--
    I got some good work done this week. I finally traced down the ignition power wiring problem. Someone has clearly been in that wiring before. There were not one but TWO splices in the red/white wire that goes from the battery, to the rectifier, up to the ignition switch, but both of them were good. At one point that particular wire came out of the loom, and went in between the frame and skid plate instead of above the frame like the rest of them. I found a spot where the insulation was good but you could feel the cooper inside was broken. I re-loomed all the wires properly and now all the electronics are working: starter, headlights, tail light, and the stator is charging.

I pulled the front drums and the shoes looked OK. I made a minor adjustment to the front cable and the front brakes seem to be working properly. I also went ahead and bled the front and rear brakes. I haven't looked at the parking brake yet. I opened the air box and of course there is no trace of an air filter.

Here are some better pictures. I pulled off the nasty seat cover. It sucks how much damage the sun has done to the plastics and seat. You can see where the harness was sitting on the seat. The tub is brittle but not too broken up. There is some damage to the column cover but it's holding together. The fenders are rough, with a few holes and several home made braces. You can see the outline of a "Works Shock" sticker that must have been on there for years.

seat-1.jpg

pipe-1.jpg

odyssey-1.jpg

front-1.jpg

fenders-1.jpg
    -Chad

--
    Way cool! When will we get a vid of it running?

samuraiguys is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Cool man I have a 350 odyssey, ive had several and have had pilots aswell. The fl350 is faster then a pilot when built up right but the pilots ride and handle way better plus are super reliable. Those dam 350s always melt top ends down. I blew mine up 3 times in one year.. and yes it was jetted correctly and I even ran a digitron egt monitor..
    1985 Honda 250R 1985 Honda 350X
    1985 Yamaha TRI-Z 1986 Yamaha TRI-Z
    1986 Honda 600x 1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 70

Grab your Genesee and let your mullet fly, were trike riding!

--
    I forget what brand but there is a common 500cc snowmobile engine guys throw in those and go stupid fast.

ghostv2 Google search "red line buggy" smaller company that make some sweet buggys that spank the Honda/ Yamaha side by sides. They make them in 1 and 2 seaters.

There is a guy on Indianapolis CL that has 2 250's and a 350. I know he wanted 1000 for the 350, running but no fenders. I cant remember what he wanted for the 250's
    Trikes: All Honda: 84 250r, 85 86 and 87 250sx, 84 and 85 125m, 79 82 84 and 85 110's, 73 us 90 and 77 atc90, 75 atc70
    Cycles: Honda: 71 cb100, 78 cb750 coming soon cb750 trike. Yamaha: 67 yds 3 (250cc, 2cyl, 2 stroke), 82 750 SECA
    Other toys: Chenoweth VW sandrail dune buggy, old race go kart, racing mower, 76 Arctic Cat Pantera 440 snowmobile

KEEP IT ON ALL 3 OR AT LEAST 2 AT A TIME

--
    Way cool! When will we get a vid of it running?
    I could probably do that at some point, but right now it's buried in my garage. I had been storing a car outside while I worked on it, but to get everything back in it is packed pretty tight.

Quote Originally Posted by samuraiguys View Post
    Cool man I have a 350 odyssey, ive had several and have had pilots aswell. The fl350 is faster then a pilot when built up right but the pilots ride and handle way better plus are super reliable. Those dam 350s always melt top ends down. I blew mine up 3 times in one year.. and yes it was jetted correctly and I even ran a digitron egt monitor..
    Did you ever run a water cooled head?
    -Chad

--
    I saw the Redline Buggies on Nitro Circus! Looked cool. To bad the price isn't :/ A liquid cooled head would be sweet, is there one? I know there were liquid cooled top ends for the air cooled R.

--
    I feel like a caveman with mine haha! 79 FL250.

--
    I saw the Redline Buggies on Nitro Circus! Looked cool. To bad the price isn't :/ A liquid cooled head would be sweet, is there one? I know there were liquid cooled top ends for the air cooled R.
    Yes, there are several liquid cooled heads on the market, and I think some have even run a liquid cooled cylinder, though that is much more involved.

Quote Originally Posted by 90guy View Post
    I feel like a caveman with mine haha! 79 FL250.
    It's a Honda and better than any crappy imported go-kart with a Briggs and Scrap Iron engine.
    -Chad

--
    $1,000 is a steal for an FL350 in that shape. i have 3 of them, and an FL400 Pilot. they made the pilots in '89 + '90.

y o u r cylinder is the updated one. u can tell by the head. the fins r angled to match the air shrouds angles. the original head had straight cooling fins.
    TPC TRIKES

FSU Powersports

RNS Powdercoating

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattool23 View Post
    $1,000 is a steal for an FL350 in that shape. i have 3 of them, and an FL400 Pilot. they made the pilots in '89 + '90.

y o u r cylinder is the updated one. u can tell by the head. the fins r angled to match the air shrouds angles. the original head had straight cooling fins.
    Good to know! I thought it had the updated parts, as there is an X scratched after the VIN, but I didn't know you could tell by looking at the head.
    -Chad

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    Check out pilotodyssey.com they are to pilots and odysseys what 3ww is to three wheelers. And the some of the members are on here aswell.Site mod/owner goes by on hoser on here and there. Nice score.
    I've already made an account and I've got a thread going
    -Chad

--
    My buddy used to have one when we were like 15! Only thing is he never let any of us ride it!! We used to hang on to the outside of the cage down the fire road Thats as close to riding one that I ever got. I have never seen one for 1000.00 bucks. Great deal on that!

--
    my neighbor had one of these just sitting on a trailer in his yard until Hurricane sandy or one of the recent storms we had caused a giant tree to fall on it and crush it and the trailer it was on! I wish I had thought to ask him to sell it to me before all that!

--
    I haven't updated this thread in a bit. A friend of mine was driving it around my yard, and the stock clutch on the engine side exploded I'm not sure exactly what happened, but it came completely apart and bent up all the belt guards. I replaced it with a Comet 94C with a new belt, and she's back to running again.
    -Chad

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //